Convert standard windows with electric windows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Polewalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have a 2017 Tradesman with standard windows. I would like to convert them to electric and electric door locks. I asked this 3 years ago and I got a no for an answer maybe things have changed just need some ideals. I love that little truck

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I would suggest looking at same year Bighorn or Laramie with power windows and locks, and check what parts are needed and what power modules are needed with any wiring harnesses. Check to see if the wiring harness is there going to the door for those items. Would have to probably change out the door panels too and get the window and lock switches also. I would assume you would need the RF hub to have it work with a key fob.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a 2017 Tradesman with standard windows. I would like to convert them to electric and electric door locks. I asked this 3 years ago and I got a no for an answer maybe things have changed just need some ideals. I love that little truck
I believe the answer is yes with AlfaOBD. You may get more traction asking the question in that thread. I would also search it to see if someone else has already done the legwork.

If the answer is yes, you'd probably be able to pull the entire door innards from a wreck and put them in yours, the activate the options/features in AlfaOBD.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
If my old manager did it on his 2015 Ram a few years ago then you can definitely do it on a 17, you just need the right parts to get it done ... he spent about $800 to do it all and he actually got it done at a radio shop

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It can be done but is the juice worth the squeeze? You are going to need door modules, motors, switches, wiring harness's, interior door panels, alfaOBD to program everything.

I'd say live with it until you can afford to trade it in on a higher trim.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had several older trucks that I converted to power windows and door locks. Going with factory parts is expensive. I used aftermarket kits and they worked well. No need to tie in to factory harness, computer etc. cost was about $200 for the kits then but probably a bit higher now. eBay has a bunch

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It can be done but is the juice worth the squeeze? You are going to need door modules, motors, switches, wiring harness's, interior door panels, alfaOBD to program everything.

I'd say live with it until you can afford to trade it in on a higher trim.

^ This is exactly it.

Of course it can be done if you throw enough time, money and more money into it.

This is s regular cab correct? (not sure they even offer crank windows on a quad or crew cab)

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I used a1 electric for my 2004 ,to add power windows and door locks . Had it for ten years with them ,worked great never any problems.

OP
OP
P

Polewalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I would like to thank everybody for their comments. 3 years ago I tried this on the board and it was like a you can't do it, now I have a bunch of people says go for it.

this is for the gentleman told me the Let It Go and trade the truck in. Here's my problem the truck only has 30,000 miles on it. I have 74 years on my body. I just don't have enough time to get to 100000 MI. LOL

There is a Ram Dodge wrecking yard in Sacramento. I think I'm going to take a ride up there and talk to them now that I feel that it can be done.

again thanks everybody the board is awesome

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I would like to thank everybody for their comments. 3 years ago I tried this on the board and it was like a you can't do it, now I have a bunch of people says go for it.

this is for the gentleman told me the Let It Go and trade the truck in. Here's my problem the truck only has 30,000 miles on it. I have 74 years on my body. I just don't have enough time to get to 100000 MI. LOL

There is a Ram Dodge wrecking yard in Sacramento. I think I'm going to take a ride up there and talk to them now that I feel that it can be done.

again thanks everybody the board is awesome
If you're getting everything from a wrecking yard,the regular cab door panels are differant then the door panels in a quad or crew cab truck,so you'd also want to grab the interior door panels from a regular cab. The regular cab doors are longer,and so are the interior panels

Willie Mosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
Get power in doors is only half job
Get truck to take it other half,
Must likely be cheaper to find another truck,
(It not like old days just add few ex wire an moter, )
My 2006 GMC was same problem,