Coolant Cap cold,Top radiator hose is scorching hot, extremly hot heat, and no issues overheating!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramboy98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I just picked up a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 with 100K on it, I have driven it and let it warm up to operating temp, and I notice that the radiator cap (which I just replaced) is bone cold, and the upper radiator hose is hot, while bottom one is cold. I have extremely good hot heat I have driven on freeway and no overheating,also stopped at lights and no overheating I am lost. Can anyone help?

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Slightly low on coolant not reaching the cap?

Guessing in this.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats correct the top hose being hot from engine and bottom one being cooler after going through the radiator to supply the engine with the cooler coolant, have you purged the cooling system?, do you know anyone with a infrared heat gun that can tell you what's going on.

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
210 degrees is very hot and your upper hose should be that temp. lower should be cold...that means the radiator is working. as far as the cap being cold... maybe low on coolant, maybe the the way the coolant is flowing is keeping heat away from it... I second the IR temp gun for a double check but as long as it's not overheating I don't see an issue.