Coolant Overflowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emmanuel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I know the answer to this might be "Headgasket" but I wanted to ask anyways. I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.7 hemi. I was towing with it one day and it overheated badly. Let it cool and filled it back up and nursed it back home. Ever since I've been loosing coolant out the overflow. I've replaced the thermostat, radiator cap and the water pump. Before replacing the water pump I noticed the temp guage rise up to almost "H" and then drop back down and fluctuate around normal. After replacing the water pump I saw a noticeable improvement in Temps having it go to about a little under normal and have it stay there. It did go up about 3/4 way up the guage and drop back down an have it stay steady. However it still pushes coolant out the overflow. When it does its always the same amount each time I top it off. My thinking is that if it is a headgasket, it would push all the coolant out and not a set amount each time. BTW this truck has the horrible coolant setup where the overflow tank is incorporated into the pressurized cooling system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It sounds like you have some air in the coolant. There is a procedure to "burp" the system.

With a cold engine (let it sit overnight), start the engine with the radiator &/or coolant overflow cap removed.

Let it idle and warm up. Keep an eye out on the level and circulation of coolant through the top of the radiator. Any trapped air should find it's way out of the system.

If the coolant level drops too low during the burp process simply add more while the engine is running and let it circulate for a few more minutes.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^^ DITTO ^^^^^^ Sounds like air for sure.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
could be a head gasket leak pressurizing the coolant system?

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a combustion Gas detector, that checks for carbon monoxide in the coolant, if the head gasket is going bad or blown, also check the exhaust for water or steam, have someone punch the pedal of couple of times and see if more water comes out, at any rate pressurizing the coolant jug is not good, When you overheated the engine, and like menched have your cooling system pressurized, also what condition is your radiator in.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Are you filling the Overflow tank?
Or just filling it to the MAX Line ?

If it is air in the system
Raise up the nose of your car with your radiator cap off
Emergency brake Set, Start the engine & turn on your heat on full & turn the fan on high

OR, do it the way without the engine running, Highly Recommended

OP
OP
Emmanuel

Emmanuel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sounds like you have some air in the coolant. There is a procedure to "burp" the system.

With a cold engine (let it sit overnight), start the engine with the radiator &/or coolant overflow cap removed.

Let it idle and warm up. Keep an eye out on the level and circulation of coolant through the top of the radiator. Any trapped air should find it's way out of the system.

If the coolant level drops too low during the burp process simply add more while the engine is running and let it circulate for a few more minutes.

There is a combustion Gas detector, that checks for carbon monoxide in the coolant, if the head gasket is going bad or blown, also check the exhaust for water or steam, have someone punch the pedal of couple of times and see if more water comes out, at any rate pressurizing the coolant jug is not good, When you overheated the engine, and like menched have your cooling system pressurized, also what condition is your radiator in.

Are you filling the Overflow tank?
Or just filling it to the MAX Line ?

If it is air in the system
Raise up the nose of your car with your radiator cap off
Emergency brake Set, Start the engine & turn on your heat on full & turn the fan on high

OR, do it the way without the engine running, Highly Recommended

I'll try burping the system today. The radiator is fine, the fins ar alle straight. There is no steam coming out of the exhaust and no coolant smell either. The system this truck has incorporates the overflow bottle into the pressurized system so I have to fill it from the overflow being that the radiator itself doesn't have a cap on it. When I do fill it I fill it to the cold fill line when its dead cold (Sat out over night). Once I do it always spits out a set amount each time and once it does, it doesn't spit out anymore if I never fill it back to cold fill wich is why I don't think it's a headgasket. I attatched a picture of what my system looks like.1632745964629.png1632745964629.png

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I thought head gasket leaks always showed up in either the oil in coolant or coolant in oil. Or am I just too old school here? Sounds like it needs burping (air in coolant system)

OP
OP
Emmanuel

Emmanuel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I burped the system today and it's the same results. Took it out to tow a trailer and it pushed a lot of coolant out the overflow but not enough to make it overheat. I'm going to be doing a pressure test on the system to confirm my suspicions.

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
could be a head gasket leak pressurizing the coolant system?
This ^

I've experienced this type of condition before with a bad head gasket and/or cracked head. What happens is that there is a leak between the combustion chamber and the water jacket that runs coolant through the heads to keep them cool. That leak puts pressure into the coolant system.

Run to your local auto parts store and rent a coolant pressure tester. If you are losing pressure then you will have a good indication that it could be the head gaskets and/or cylinder head.

Threesuns1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought head gasket leaks always showed up in either the oil in coolant or coolant in oil. Or am I just too old school here? Sounds like it needs burping (air in coolant system)

I agree, and to add to that I've seen a steady stream of air bubbles coming thru the radiator cap when open.

OP
OP
Emmanuel

Emmanuel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Turned out to be a small leak in the headgasket that was allowing air into the system. The truck is now fixed and I went ahead and had the heads rebuilt so she's all good again.