Coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Parked my truck for the winter in the driveway finally getting around to getting her going again and noticed the radiator is bone dry along with the reservoir any tips on how to go about fixing this would be great! Thanks in advanced bys!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Got to fill it up, I'd stick with Mopar and get full strength, buy Distilled water only! Mix it before you dump it in, 50/50 coolant/distilled water. I believe yours is HOAT? Which is a clone of zerex g-05, but part of the benefit of mopar is color that tells you if it's bad or good, so I'd spend a couple more bucks and get Mopar. Once full, see where the leaks are and look for oil where you take the Radiator cap off when cold. Same with oil, you should change oil and double check you don't have coolant in there. It is very rare that this wouldn't have caused some sweet smell.

You don't want to mix, and 2012 was right on the line, HOAT or OAT coolant, you need to verify how it came from factory. I could type two pages of what my latest friend went through because he mixed coolants. They aren't compatible.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did a flush and fill on my 2017 due to a stupid move on my part. Had a hose leak and put Regular hose water in. Then forgot about it for a couple months and had to do a full system flush and drain and flush more. Then filled it. Need to figure out where it all leaked out at so you can fix that. Mine was the radiator output hose got sliced from a sonethjng off-roading. Slow leak on mine but I noticed my truck heating up by the time I got home and just fixed it with a coupling and refilled instead of using distilled water from the store. Best bet is go to your dealer and purchase the coolant from them and distilled water from the local store

OP
OP
N

Nick Brown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
16 quarts of HOAT, so mix the hoat coolant and distilled water?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
16 total quarts of coolant capacity. 2 gallons coolant. 2 gallons distilled water. That’s from completely dry. As mentioned I just did this for my 5.7 hemi in my 2017. Always go 50/50.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
16 quarts of HOAT, so mix the hoat coolant and distilled water?

Yes, but as I said verify it came with HOAT, vin check or owners manual something. The Hemi is real hard for a full flush, most don't want to tackle the drivers side bolt, my truck I couldn't get passengers bolt off neither. So I end up flushing once a year. use the top not is a must for your flush, you need the right size allen wrench, maybe some anti seize when you put it back. Make sure you don't buy "prediluted", if you do buy that just use it from bottle. It's just that you can save money by mixing with distilled. Crazy on amazon it shows the pre diluted costs more than the straight coolant, this is insane. The Mopar Hoat is 23 bucks, mix that with a gallon of distilled, ends up being 12 bucks a gallon. Fill it and see what you get. Drain some off and see if you need a flush, if the level was low it might be whack.