Correct oil filter or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimEd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
IMG_5771.jpeg
I have 2013 Ram 1500 Sport 5.7L Hemi. I also have a 2016 Hemi Charger. I thought all 5.7L were the same. I have been using the 20-820 on both vehicles for the last three years. Royal Purple says the 20-820 is for my car and the 10-48 is for my truck. Should I be concerned that I have been using the wrong filter for my truck all this time?

OP
OP
JimEd

JimEd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That makes me feel a lot better, although I would think the larger filter would do a better job. Thanks everyone.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No problem, I have a 2013 as well and use the 20-820.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Mine won't fit a 20-820 without gouging the side of the can on the block or a body seam. A 20-500 is the width of the 10-48 but longer.
if sometime you can take a pic and post it in oil filter thread it would be much appreciated. We know there are a few rams out there like this but we dont have any pics. most can take the larger filter w/o issue, but some cant, we would like to know what item is in the way for info purpose.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
if sometime you can take a pic and post it in oil filter thread it would be much appreciated. We know there are a few rams out there like this but we dont have any pics. most can take the larger filter w/o issue, but some cant, we would like to know what item is in the way for info purpose.

Yeah you do. I posted mine showing how the molded lower radiator hose was right next to the std diameter oil filter canister.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Had I known in 2010 this would be my last truck, for sure. Now in this america, I'm done buying new stuff. I just asked my dentist, can I save some money if I get some retreads? He got a laugh.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah you do. I posted mine showing how the molded lower radiator hose was right next to the std diameter oil filter canister.
I'm not familiar with the truck 6.4's oil filter housing,but could you clock the adapter so it was in a slightly differant position. If the nipple is the only thing holding the filter housing in place,i wonder if you could loosen it and re-clock the adapter. Another thing to consider would be to install a hose covering over the rad hose,to protect the hose from the filter,you're not gonna rub through the filter,but it also wouldn't hurt to protect the lower rad hose from filter rub through. If not there's always these.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm not familiar with the truck 6.4's oil filter housing,but could you clock the adapter so it was in a slightly differant position. If the nipple is the only thing holding the filter housing in place,i wonder if you could loosen it and re-clock the adapter. Another thing to consider would be to install a hose covering over the rad hose,to protect the hose from the filter,you're not gonna rub through the filter,but it also wouldn't hurt to protect the lower rad hose from filter rub through. If not there's always these.

It's weird - I posted a pic some time back. The real difference is the truck frame, of course. The frame is much taller and the mounts are deep down within it - to fit the Cummins diesel engine. So a lower V8 gas motor sits waaaay down low in the frame rails. So, they ended up putting a 90 degree filter adapter casting on the block such that it sticks out and points forward.

i.e. - the heavy duty is made for the Cummins - gassers are a retrofit afterthought.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It's weird - I posted a pic some time back. The real difference is the truck frame, of course. The frame is much taller and the mounts are deep down within it - to fit the Cummins diesel engine. So a lower V8 gas motor sits waaaay down low in the frame rails. So, they ended up putting a 90 degree filter adapter casting on the block such that it sticks out and points forward.

i.e. - the heavy duty is made for the Cummins - gassers are a retrofit afterthought.
That's why i wonder if you could reclock the adapter.It should only be held on by a bolt or the nipple,which makes me think you could move it a bit

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
That's why i wonder if you could reclock the adapter.It should only be held on by a bolt or the nipple,which makes me think you could move it a bit

It's tough to get at it - might be one of those things they pre-install prior to dropping that motor into the huge heavy duty Cummins frame.

After working on sleds all weekend, I'm fairly irritated at unmaintainable subsystems! I suppose for you guys north of 48th parallel it's a way of life.

KenR 955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sure will @Burla. Not due for a change for another 2K, but I'll see if I have time this weekend to take pix. I only have the Purolator Boss large filter, but that didn't fit either.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I run the 20-500 in my '15. No clearance issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357