Couple questions on lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven Horner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
What factors go into deciding whether to put a 2.1" or 2.8"? If someone wanted something as close to looking level as possible would they go with a 2.1"?

Second question, what is the purpose of installing a spacer on the rear? Aren't you just lifting the front to match the rear?

Thanks
Steve

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes that will be 2" front. You can opt for a rear spacer if you need to lift your truck derriere a tad, say you went with 2.8 and want to make the truck level with the front or simply want more of a factory rake if you did 2" in the front. Most people do a rear spacer with 2.8, no rear spacer with 2.1

OP
OP
Steven Horner

Steven Horner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
Thanks for the info, are billsteins the typical go to for leveling?

ClarkandAddison

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bilsteins are most recommended around here for leveling. I went with 2.1" for my level, but I've heard of some that go 2.8" to level. Apparently not all trucks come from the factory with the same rake. You'll need to measure your truck and then decide what setting to use to level.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info, are billsteins the typical go to for leveling?

Yes Bilsteins are one of the best options to lift these trucks. Running a spacer in the front of your truck changes the suspension geometry and can cause premature upper ball joint failure plus other issues. The Bilsteins keep your geometry correct.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

azcoyote

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ride quality and overall rake.

The difference between the height of my front and rear wheel wells is 2.4 inches exactly.
That might make me choose 2.1 or 2.4 to either keep it level or a tiny bit of rake. A higher rear will also level when the bed is full.
Measure your wheel wells. Check the difference and use that in your decision.

Then understand that at the highest setting the ride will be the harshest and that upper CAs may need to be added because of ball joint stress.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They seem to be the most popular when just leveling your truck. Very seldom do you ever hear any complaints about them. Setting them at 2.1 will make most trucks level. Some people use the leveling spacers but I think the Bil's are a lot better.
Jay

azcoyote

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They seem to be the most popular when just leveling your truck. Very seldom do you ever hear any complaints about them. Setting them at 2.1 will make most trucks level. Some people use the leveling spacers but I think the Bil's are a lot better.
Jay

I have had 2 sets of Bils so far and they are a great product and unquistionably better than spacers.

OP
OP
Steven Horner

Steven Horner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
Would you recommend also getting a set of bills for the rear if my only intention is just to raise the front 2.1 ...ya know to level it. Or would it not matter?

Is a product like this something you buy yourself then take to the dealer for install?

Do Bill's void warrantee?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm also a satisfied Bilstein customer - on my previous 3 vehicles, on my wife's Mustang, on my Ram.. I acknowledge that King and Fox are higher spec products but I'm not in that tax bracket and the Bilsteins haven't exactly let me down so spending more might not actually get me more.

With that said, there are a few other lift struts on the market like Rancho and Rough Country and Icon and Fox and Eibach... I think any of those will accomplish the same goal of leveling the front without using spacers that overextend the suspension and could result in damage. At that point it comes down to your budget, your personal attitude toward brands and how well you think any of them will meet your individual performance needs.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would you recommend also getting a set of bills for the rear if my only intention is just to raise the front 2.1 ...ya know to level it. Or would it not matter?

Is a product like this something you buy yourself then take to the dealer for install?

Do Bill's void warrantee?

I think you might end up wanting a set of Bilsteins for the rear as well - just so that the front and rear will ride the same over bumps. Shock valving comes in all sorts of different flavors and Bilstein's signature move seems to be digressive valving which feels sportier but doesn't provide as much peak damping on major impacts, when compared to progressive or bypass shocks. I didn't ever work my Ram hard for the 3 weeks it had its OEM shocks but I think they were tuned the other way, softer at first and progressively more firm on larger hits. A different front/rear balance might feel weird but maybe your best bet is to try the fronts by themselves first and save your money, then if you feel you need the rear ones go for it. The rears are easier DIY installs anyway.

The front struts are not hard to install yourself if you're handy, or any competent shop can do it. You will need an alignment afterward if you raise the ride height because wheel camber changes through the suspension movement range.

The Mopar OE lift kits include the Bilsteins as part of the package and they are considered OE replacement parts so they cannot void your truck warranty, but I could see a dealer push back on warranty if you also run larger than stock tires and something affected by that becomes a problem (for example, steering parts) though they could not deny you warranty service for anything unrelated to it (power windows or something like that..) .

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had the Bilsteins on all 3 of my 4th Gen Ram trucks. I always replace all 4 shocks at the same time. It isn't a hard job if you have any mechanical skills at all and if you have the proper tools. You will need a spring compressor for the front. A second set of hand is always a plus----which will also no doubt entail buying refreshments for your "helper". LOL
Jay

OP
OP
Steven Horner

Steven Horner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
I appreciate all the knowledge!
I guess my final question is, when you install the mopar 2 inch lift, are they also lifting the rear or keeping the rear the same height and only bringing up the front?

Thanks
Steve

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I appreciate all the knowledge!
I guess my final question is, when you install the mopar 2 inch lift, are they also lifting the rear or keeping the rear the same height and only bringing up the front?

Thanks
Steve

I have the Mopar 2" kit, it lifts the rear with progressive coils and also includes longer rear shocks (longer wheel travel) than just the standard replacement, as well as bumpstop extensions and extension brackets for the rear sway bar.

You'll find lots of opinions on that kit.. some from people who have it and some from people who don't have it.

I can only report on my own direct experience - the Mopar kit has served me just fine for 5 years including plenty of towing and wilderness. I did add aftermarket UCA's and a rear track bar drop bracket along the way, as of now there's nothing I feel the urge to change about it. "Sh*t just works" to put it in the kind of language I use around the office :D:D

If you don't want to lift the rear of your truck then you wouldn't want that kit.. just get the front lift struts from whatever brand fits your preferences and - if you feel you want them - a set of matching rear shocks.