covert 2006 5.7 Hemi to a 6.4 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kip Trones

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My old 5.7 is getting tired and I was wonder if it was worth the effort to swap in a 6.4, I can find some with less than 20k in miles for around 3k. I do know I should find one with no MDS since I have none in the current model or is that not a problem? TY in advance

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No it is not worth it to swap in a factory 6.4, as it will not run in your truck without substantial electrical (PCM, harness, etc) and physical (accessory drive, crank wheel. etc) modifications. Factory 6.4 is a VVT engine. By the time you're done you could have just taken your 5.7 and installed a stroker kit and made your own 6.4 (or bought a short or long block set up already). If you have a 1500 then MDS is your choice. If you have 2500/3500 then you don't have MDS anyway.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Swapping in a 6.4 is not a problem when it comes to the mechanicals. The motor will bolt in place of what you have. Then the fun starts.

You will need not only a motor but a complete engine wiring harness and PCM. Do you plan on using the 545RFE from your truck or do you want to do a complete engine and transmission swap and run the 66RFE from a truck or try and 8HP70/90 from a car since you will have the correct PCM to control it?

How good are your skills? Can you wrench, tune and fabricate or is this something you will be paying a shop for the work?

If you can tune enough on your own then an HP Tuners MPVI2 should be in your future with the current VCM Suite. HP Tuners will work for the 2011-2018 6.4 from the RAM trucks.

One of the biggest things will be your budget. Do you have the funds saved for a project like this? Is this a daily driver that cant be torn down for too long or is this truck that once it becomes a project it can sit because you have another ride?

Also, have you started working on a build list yet? I saw that you have several low mileage 6.4's available. Have you asked for any transmission prices to go with the motor?

I am in no way trying to discourage you in this endeavor. I love it. I'm all for it. Yank that 5.7 and cram the baddest 6.4 in this thing. I have done engine swaps like this and it takes quite a bit of planning and money. If I can pass along any information that helps you complete the project then it is worth it to me.

Have fun and take your time. Get as much of the build worked out as possible on paper.

One last thing. If you dont have any tuning experience, do you have a local tuner with a dyno who can really tune this thing or assist with any tuning issues should you run into a problem?

If you wanted to get away from the factory PCM and HP Tuner, another way to get this thing up and running is with the Holley Dominator/Terminator setup and Holley's wiring harness. Since their ECU's wont control a Mopar transmission like the RFE or 8HP70/90, you could use the Output Controls from the Holley Dominator ECU to control the TCC/OD Solenoids in the A-518 to give you torque converter clutch engagement and control the 3-4 shifts. The only electronics to hook up for the A-518 would be for the TCC/OD solenoids. Nice and easy way to control the converter clutch and the 3-4 shift.