Crank position sensor replacement...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Has anyone attempted to change the crank position sensor? My '96 1500 5.9 sensor is on the passenger side between the engine rear and the firewall. I can barely even get a glimpse of it with a mirror and flashlight and still haven't been able to trace the wires all the way to where it plugs in. It's appearing impossible, so I'm looking for some genius idea somebody had to replace this spawn of satan!!!

Matt Raymond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Ok. So best way to do this (I’ve had to do 2 on my 97). Get a ratchet with a 6” extension and a 6mm Allen bit. If you remove the intake tube and box you have more room to work with. You need to slip your right hand over the valve cover on the passenger side and stick the ratchet down behind the valve cover. The bolts that hold it in have the 6mm Allen’s on them. It’s way easier than trying to line a socket on them. The plug is on the drivers side near the distributor. I always take the sensor out then trace the wiring back to the connector. Any other questions feel free. Good luck with this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Idk if 6mm fits but officially they're 1/4" allen OR 1/2" 6pt. I like a 1/2" deepwell but otherwise same procedure

OP
OP
Rigs

Rigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thanks fellas! It seems like what I saw back there was one allen type screw and one regular like 1/2" type. I'm gonna give it a go and see if I can not lose my mind during

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my Dakota, it was easiest by taking the inner fender out and then it was just right there. Crawl up on top to unplug and plug in connector.