Crazed UConnect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

midshank1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi
My 2018 RAM has started experiencing the famed radio issue where it has a mind of its own.

The screen started delaminating last year, but no issues until today. The truck only has 25K miles on it and is always garaged. Amazing that this system dies so often.

Do you have any insight on warranty or recall options? I know it is well past the 3/36 timeline, but since the mileage is so low, I wondered if there were options.

Thanks!

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Reach out to RAM cares. Sometimes they have been able to get good will replacements.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi
My 2018 RAM has started experiencing the famed radio issue where it has a mind of its own.

The screen started delaminating last year, but no issues until today. The truck only has 25K miles on it and is always garaged. Amazing that this system dies so often.

Do you have any insight on warranty or recall options? I know it is well past the 3/36 timeline, but since the mileage is so low, I wondered if there were options.

Thanks!
I second getting in touch with @RamCares. Other than that, it can be repaired DIY for around $200 now that screen prices have come back down.

Scott S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in the same boat. It started delaminating quite a while ago but the dealer said about 2K (Canadian) to fix after I pay for them to diagnose it first...I can hear the tech now, yep, you are correct, the screen is definitely delaminated. I decided to just live with it. Now it has developed a mind. It beeps with a clock warning, messes with navigation, hangs up on people, calls people, changes radio stations and settings and beeps non stop. I'm so thankful it does not mess with the volume lol. I'm looking now at having to fix it but I just can't swing the 2K so I may dig into it myself. Update, the truck will be going into the dealer to get it resolved.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm in the same boat. It started delaminating quite a while ago but the dealer said about 2K (Canadian) to fix after I pay for them to diagnose it first...I can hear the tech now, yep, you are correct, the screen is definitely delaminated. I decided to just live with it. Now it has developed a mind. It beeps with a clock warning, messes with navigation, hangs up on people, calls people, changes radio stations and settings and beeps non stop. I'm so thankful it does not mess with the volume lol. I'm looking now at having to fix it but I just can't swing the 2K so I may dig into it myself. I'm a bit ticked as the dealers are taking advantage of their customers over a manufacturing defect that is across many vehicles. It is not wear and tear, negligence, it is a manufacturing defect in the clearest context.
It's a relatively easy item to replace if you buy the whole screen and digitizer. You want an LA084X01-SL03 part number. The SL03 is supposed to be a post delamination fix revision. You will see SL01 and SL02 parts at much cheaper prices, but they can still delaminate. I've kept an SL01 from delaminating by adding active cooling and replacing the passive cooling inside the radio as well as using a heat shield on the back of the screen.

SL03 Price

SL02 Price

Scott S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a relatively easy item to replace if you buy the whole screen and digitizer. You want an LA084X01-SL03 part number. The SL03 is supposed to be a post delamination fix revision. You will see SL01 and SL02 parts at much cheaper prices, but they can still delaminate. I've kept an SL01 from delaminating by adding active cooling and replacing the passive cooling inside the radio as well as using a heat shield on the back of the screen.

SL03 Price

SL02 Price
Thanks for the links, this will be my next step if I get no where with Ram.

Tomcatg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alas I believe this is starting on my 2017 Classic. Driving last week and it started changing stations randomly. I don't see any delamination on the screen. It has not done it since so I am just kinda researching what my options will be going forward. Looks like replacing with aftermarket loses too many functions.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alas I believe this is starting on my 2017 Classic. Driving last week and it started changing stations randomly. I don't see any delamination on the screen. It has not done it since so I am just kinda researching what my options will be going forward. Looks like replacing with aftermarket loses too many functions.
Do you have a screen protector on the radio touch panel? I have a 2018 that had a delaminated screen replaced by RAM. The new radio has the SL02 screen and has a glossy surface whereas the original radio was a matte surface. I put a matte screen protector on the radio and in low humidity conditions got phantom touches like the original delaminated screen. Come to find out it was the screen protector causing it.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If you only have the ghost touches and no delamination, it may be possible to stave off the ghost touches by adding better cooling. Did the ghost touches coincide with using the heat more in your truck this year?

Tomcatg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry I didn't reply earlier..I just saw the replies. It does appear to worsen with heat. I have looked again and no delamination. I was over reading through the earlier posts and what a mess. So many folks having to deal with this headache. I have a '16 Durango with the same unit and have not had any issues with it thankfully. SitKneelBend you seem to be about as close to an expert on this particular issue as I have seen! How would you recommend I proceed with trying to fix this issue?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Sorry I didn't reply earlier..I just saw the replies. It does appear to worsen with heat. I have looked again and no delamination. I was over reading through the earlier posts and what a mess. So many folks having to deal with this headache. I have a '16 Durango with the same unit and have not had any issues with it thankfully. SitKneelBend you seem to be about as close to an expert on this particular issue as I have seen! How would you recommend I proceed with trying to fix this issue?
You can start here with replacing the thermal material in the radio itself.

You can go further and add some cooling fans too like I did

Finally you could go overboard and fashion a heat shield too...

1704832921037.jpeg
1704832936619.jpeg

DudeWalksOnWater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in the same boat. It started delaminating quite a while ago but the dealer said about 2K (Canadian) to fix after I pay for them to diagnose it first...I can hear the tech now, yep, you are correct, the screen is definitely delaminated. I decided to just live with it. Now it has developed a mind. It beeps with a clock warning, messes with navigation, hangs up on people, calls people, changes radio stations and settings and beeps non stop. I'm so thankful it does not mess with the volume lol. I'm looking now at having to fix it but I just can't swing the 2K so I may dig into it myself. Update, the truck will be going into the dealer to get it resolved.
Have you tried a master reset?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilo670