crud on battery posts all of a sudden

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to say it has been over the last 2-3 months that a lot of build up on battery terminals has appeared.

Normally no issues.

Could this be caused by something going on electrically?

Thank you,

Steve

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The battery is on its way out. (Dying)
I recommend using a battery cleaner or a CokeCola. If you shake a coke can up a lot then stab a hole in it(like shotgunning a beer)
Spray the battery terminals with the coke. The acids in the coke will clean the terminals. By shaking it up it’ll the pressure will wash off the acids. I’ve done this several times before.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Baking soda and water will neutralize the acid on the terminals. They have the green and red pads to place under the clamps also for long term.

I agree with the baking soda it does work.
On the other hand those green n red pads do absolutely nothing for the battery

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

EastTN

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have an acid/vapor leak...battery is not for long. You can prolong the battery slightly by the baking soda or coke method mentioned above, but you should start looking for a new battery.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
You have an acid/vapor leak...battery is not for long. You can prolong the battery slightly by the baking soda or coke method mentioned above, but you should start looking for a new battery.

^^^^THIS^^^^

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The washers that go under the connectors also help slow the acid/vapor leak issue, but yeah get ready to replace the battery soon.

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, the battery is only 2 years old, granted its a Walmart everstart, but I believe it was one of the better ones 850CCA.

Thank you for your posts.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The battery is on its way out. (Dying)
I recommend using a battery cleaner or a CokeCola. If you shake a coke can up a lot then stab a hole in it(like shotgunning a beer)
Spray the battery terminals with the coke. The acids in the coke will clean the terminals. By shaking it up it’ll the pressure will wash off the acids. I’ve done this several times before.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

the coke will take paint off your truck too try using some baking soda and warm water with a old tooth brush it will clean it safe

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
the coke will take paint off your truck too try using some baking soda and warm water with a old tooth brush it will clean it safe

I’ve never had a problem with coke having any problems with the paint. But also common sense says after the coke has done its job. To rinse the engine bay off and typically the truck gets washed too.
Common sense is a virtue!

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I bought a battery from Walmart and it took a chit at about a year and a half after buying it. On a bright note, they replaced it. But that one only lasted another two years. I've since replaced it with a NAPA Gold and it's been flawless.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive been sticking with Costco batteries for a while. Always a better price than most (provided you already have a membership), no pro-rated warranty....42 months full replacement.

And its Costco, so if my battery dies at month 41, they'll either hand me my money back or a brand new battery.