Cruise control not turning on with enable button **** Sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
My 2014 had a similar issue. Sometimes the CC would engage, other times, zip. Finally replaced the entire switch module. Those microswitches can only take so many cycles before they fail completely.
problem solved.
If mine ever starts not coming on again, I'll be replacing my switch too. Too many "projects" going on at the time to take on tearing into my steering wheel the first time it happened. And slaps have lasted almost 11 months now, so for now it's gone to the middle of my to do's list(s) until it occurs again. It does though seem like it's been a thing for a while with Ram trucks so you'd think a better switch would be offered up. My F250 never had a CC switch issue and it had way more miles on it than my Ram 2500 does today. Just saying...

Fishhaggis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My steering wheel button for cc failed on me Last year. Covered by warranty so the dealer just swapped it. the truck then blasted the horn randomly if I turned the steering wheel. Lots of angry glares as I honked my way back to the dealer as fast as I could. The horn wire or whatever was this way rather than that way when they swapped out the cc buttons. It’s funny now, but at the time ……..

Htsderek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Assuming you are talking about the button on the steering wheel? If so that is a pretty common issue that I see talked about all the time on Ram related forums and Facebook groups. I have the same issue on my '16 where you hit the button to enable cruise and nothing happens at random times. A few months ago almost every time I hit the button it would not work and would keep hitting the button over and over at different angles and eventually it would come enable, but now for the last month or so it has always worked...been like that for several years. It seems like sometimes it's the actual switch wearing out and sometimes it's in the wiring coming down through the steering wheel and/or the clock spring. I've just lived with it because I don't want to replace random parts and trying to diagnose intermittent electrical problems is a huge pain...that's because when doing test on components you are never confident whether the issue is occurring or not.

I had this happen in the first year of owning the truck. I'd hit the right side of the steering wheel and it would start working for a bit. I guess I finally hit it hard enough, it's been working for the past 4 years no problems.

Sooby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I took the switches off the steering wheel and sprayed inside them with the CRC. Pushing all the buttons multiple times while spraying them. After it dried put them back in and hasn't failed to work since.

Rod H

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Something odd has been showing up sometimes. When the button is pushed to enable the cruise control, I do not get the white indicator and display does not confirm it is enabled. Odd

Doesn't happen all the time. Most of the time, it works as designed, just not always.

Anyone else ever see this?
I had same problem on my 2017 . Try unplugging your brake switch under your brake pedal and plug it back in. Your cruse works off that switch. WORKED FOR MEJ

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
My 2016 does this once or twice a year. I just push "on" button like I mean it. Sometimes with both thumbs if I am not in motion.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I took the switches off the steering wheel and sprayed inside them with the CRC. Pushing all the buttons multiple times while spraying them. After it dried put them back in and hasn't failed to work since.
Curious how you accessed inside the switch? Do the come apart easily? Screws? Or an access hole? Sorry, just curious in case I need to do this. How long so far since done?

Sooby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
They looked to be riveted together so didn't try to take them apart. Just sprayed in the gaps of the buttons. I checked to make sure it wouldn't melt the plastic first then sprayed em. I used them on a 2 hour trip, setting, canceling, cruise, accel, everything works fine now. Can't get replacement parts now except used so gave it a shot and it worked for me.

VanLaar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I used to have a 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie and it too did the same thing. An intermittent problem, ... which are the worst. Then, there was a recall where they had to replace some wiring in the steering column. I took it in for the wiring recall and to my surprise, this fixed the problem. I've never had any issues since.

OP
OP
04fxdwgi

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used to have a 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie and it too did the same thing. An intermittent problem, ... which are the worst. Then, there was a recall where they had to replace some wiring in the steering column. I took it in for the wiring recall and to my surprise, this fixed the problem. I've never had any issues since.
Ahhh. Sounds like the clock spring. That is where I was leaning, but like other problems I have had with he truck, they come and go all by themselves.

I am a tech type, so if I can't nail it down withing a 95% chance, I don't toss $$$$ at it.

manumurf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2015 does that. One bit of advice I got was to downshift a few gears then go back to 8th.
If it doesn't turn on at first it seems to always work after The dow and upshift.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I seem to remember a cruise-related recall a few years back. Might be worth checking your vin to see if it's been done.

OP
OP
04fxdwgi

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I seem to remember a cruise-related recall a few years back. Might be worth checking your vin to see if it's been done.
Pretty sure that was the clock spring. My VIN wasn't effected and I checked the Recall list last week and any recalls that effected my truck were completed.

Thanx for the suggestion.

Yeti15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had this same issue intermittently over the years on my 15. About a year or two ago I read about smacking the steering wheel / button console that controls the cruise. From the driver seat, one good open palmed smack to the buttons has eliminated my issue since I did it. Again this was 1-2 years ago. Otherwise I thought I’d need to replace the buttons/switch/whatever

OP
OP
04fxdwgi

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just an update. The Cruise button has not failed since I first posted this.

Must have scared it into submission.

Thanx all for your suggestions.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Every button has a plan until it gets punched in the face.

...or something like that :cool:

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have been having similar issues with my `17. One of my coworkers has an '18 and he said he is having the same issue. We will have to try some of these suggestions and see what happens.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If it ever happens to me ..

i think that i would buy some Compressed Air & some Computer contact cleaner spray.
The Compressed Air itself, should do something

If the Clock Spring is OK