Cruise control not turning on with enable button **** Sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Something odd has been showing up sometimes. When the button is pushed to enable the cruise control, I do not get the white indicator and display does not confirm it is enabled. Odd

Doesn't happen all the time. Most of the time, it works as designed, just not always.

Anyone else ever see this?

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Check for codes. Specifically speed sensor codes.

My 2014 has been randomly setting a speed sensor code and has led to their replacement. Code was random and usually occurs after a higher speed aggressive driving event

My suggestion.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Assuming you are talking about the button on the steering wheel? If so that is a pretty common issue that I see talked about all the time on Ram related forums and Facebook groups. I have the same issue on my '16 where you hit the button to enable cruise and nothing happens at random times. A few months ago almost every time I hit the button it would not work and would keep hitting the button over and over at different angles and eventually it would come enable, but now for the last month or so it has always worked...been like that for several years. It seems like sometimes it's the actual switch wearing out and sometimes it's in the wiring coming down through the steering wheel and/or the clock spring. I've just lived with it because I don't want to replace random parts and trying to diagnose intermittent electrical problems is a huge pain...that's because when doing test on components you are never confident whether the issue is occurring or not.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As 62Blazer wrote, it's a common issue. The repair is to disconnect & reconnect the switch connector which requires some disassembly of the steering wheel. If that doesn't work then they replace the switch. Sometimes banging the steering wheel around where the switch is fixes it temporarily.

OP
OP
04fxdwgi

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check for codes. Specifically speed sensor codes.

My 2014 has been randomly setting a speed sensor code and has led to their replacement. Code was random and usually occurs after a higher speed aggressive driving event

My suggestion.
Checked.... No codes
Thanx for the suggestion

OP
OP
04fxdwgi

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Assuming you are talking about the button on the steering wheel? If so that is a pretty common issue that I see talked about all the time on Ram related forums and Facebook groups. I have the same issue on my '16 where you hit the button to enable cruise and nothing happens at random times. A few months ago almost every time I hit the button it would not work and would keep hitting the button over and over at different angles and eventually it would come enable, but now for the last month or so it has always worked...been like that for several years. It seems like sometimes it's the actual switch wearing out and sometimes it's in the wiring coming down through the steering wheel and/or the clock spring. I've just lived with it because I don't want to replace random parts and trying to diagnose intermittent electrical problems is a huge pain...that's because when doing test on components you are never confident whether the issue is occurring or not.
Pretty much my train of thought.
Thanx for the suggestion

OP
OP
04fxdwgi

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As 62Blazer wrote, it's a common issue. The repair is to disconnect & reconnect the switch connector which requires some disassembly of the steering wheel. If that doesn't work then they replace the switch. Sometimes banging the steering wheel around where the switch is fixes it temporarily.
Probably wait a bit to see how often it happens and how bad of a PITA it becomes before diving into it.
Thanx for the suggestion

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Assuming you are talking about the button on the steering wheel? If so that is a pretty common issue that I see talked about all the time on Ram related forums and Facebook groups.
Same here, both my 2013 and my 2015 did this albeit the 2015 was not as bad as the 2013. I found hitting the switch again it will work.

Good news, seems all the steering wheel switches in my 2022 work flawlessly.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Yeah, banging on the top of the switch assembly with the heel of my hand was the first thing I tried when this happened years ago.
I've had to hit it a couple times since over the years but it's still working today.
While I don't consider this a "fix" I have found it to be an acceptable solution so far. YMMV

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Yeah, banging on the top of the switch assembly with the heel of my hand was the first thing I tried when this happened years ago.
I've had to hit it a couple times since over the years but it's still working today.
While I don't consider this a "fix" I have found it to be an acceptable solution so far. YMMV
Same here on my 2016 when I bought it. Three slaps with hand on top area (plastic just above actual switch in steering wheel) of switch and so far is working as it should. Not hard enough to break the plastic or anything. :)

Gom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I smack the backside of the steering wheel a couple times when switches don't respond. Always works for me.

dapadest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My 2016 has done that since I purchased new. Have had to dealer(s) multiple times but of course, "doesn't happen for us".
Sometimes I have to mash the button, and I have found doing that on the right side of the switch works most times. Otherwise need to mash it all over to find the 'sweet spot '...

chucko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2020 Ram 2500 has the issue sometimes if I tap the back of the steering wheel behind the switch or some times on the face of the switch it works. Generally will work for a couple months after the tapping.

JohnBike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2014 had a similar issue. Sometimes the CC would engage, other times, zip. Finally replaced the entire switch module. Those microswitches can only take so many cycles before they fail completely.
problem solved.