Cummins 6.7 vs hemi 6.4 (with a twist)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vineyard45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking at a new 2500. Love it and was set to purchase the 6.4 but was crunching the numbers and am having second thoughts on engine choice. I live in bizarro world ware diesel is always .50 cents cheaper than gas. I would save $20 a week assuming a 12 vs 16 mpg. I love diesels and the fuel savings help offset cost plus the increased resale. One caveat of my micro-enviorment is I never drive over 50mph. I don't tow often but want payload capacity. I know diesels excel in longer commutes. I mostly drive 5-15 miles, never really getting engine to temp. I worry that I could have emission issues under these circumstances. Looking for some opinions.

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I would say the 6.4L would be a better option then. I am in a similiar boat as you at least should I ever decide to step up to a 3/4 ton chassis. My travel distances are so short, that I don't think a diesel would be good for me, even though the sound of a straight pipe diesel sounds epic !!!

Also since you advised your not towing much to nothing at all.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get the gasser. Sure it'll never have the 'badass' factor that a Cummins does, but you get over that pretty quickly. I like that I don't have any DEF, or other **** to contend with. My emissions systems are nice n refined, since they've been around for what 40 years now?

If you're not towing, I'd avoid the Cummins.

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
Maybe watch to see what this new 3.0 looks like. Another option.

I personally don't see the benefit for you and your driving style to spend the extra. Up here a diesel is almost a $7K touch. The short commute wouldn't help it.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Umm.... where do u live in which diesel is cheaper?

PTCTreeGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
none, why can't
Engine
these be blank
For about 6 months last summer here in Ga, diesel was about 10-25 cents cheaper. It's been running about 35-50 cents more most everywhere except Shell. But they are almost 50 cents a gallon more for regular everyday.

I'm waiting for the 3.0 to test drive, most everything I've read sounds great and have a 45 miles commute each way. Just not really liking how quiet even the exhaust is but I'm sure there's something out of coming to make it sound better.

OP
OP
V

Vineyard45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Martha's Vineyard, Ma. An island off of Cape Cod. I think gas is $4.30, it will be about $5 this summer when they jack up prices for the tourists. Food prices are worse.

OP
OP
V

Vineyard45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I knew the answer before I asked, gasser it is. Thanks for the help.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you considered a 1500. With a set of air bags in the back to help out?

that white kid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
go with the diesel if you put a tuner on it the sky is the limit! My dad drives a CTD with a tuner and its at 468rwh and it gets 24 miles to the gallon

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 CC
Engine
Air bags on a 1500 might reduce rear sag but they DO NOT increase your payload. You can not change that.

As far as tuners go. For a '13 and up 6.7 CTD, only Bully Dog so far, has been able to unlock the PCM. It also involves you removing it from your truck and sending it in to them. The unlock runs about $1200. At this time also, there are no "deletes" available.

Go with the Hemi for your short distance driving. The short distance, low speed driving will not play well with the 6.7 CTD DPF. (diesel particulate filter) it needs heat and load to regenerate passively and if the PCM commands an active regeneration it wants you to drive 15-20 minutes of hwy driving. Driving 5 miles or so won't even get the oil up to temp.

Go with the 6.4 Hemi.

Olli

parkersdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel
Don't overlook the 5.7 Hemi either. They are plenty strong with the new 6 speed transmission and you may can get a good deal on one. They are also a very reliable proven motor.

atticusfaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Vineyard - I didn't see that anybody asked yet or if you mentioned it but do you do much towing or hauling with your truck and have the "need" for a 2500?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I say get whatever you want whether you tow or not. It's your truck. If you're buying it thinking you're going to save money on fuel though, you're mistaken. There is more to a diesel than just filling the tank and changing the oil. Don't get me wrong, I recently switched to a diesel and I love it, but it is in no way cheaper.

You just need to get out and drive the truck like you stole it every once in a while to keep things cleaned out on the truck. Diesels aren't exactly made for stop and go traffic, but they are definitely a blast to drive.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
2500 with a 5.7

Prolly find a '13 sitting around (since most go diesel) that they will really deal on.

It would live a good, long happy life in those conditions.

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Martha's Vineyard, Ma. An island off of Cape Cod. I think gas is $4.30, it will be about $5 this summer when they jack up prices for the tourists. Food prices are worse.
Good heavens, that's ridiculous!!! You might as well be in commifornia where the weather is nice......

2nazt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Big Horn
Engine
fuel might be cheaper but maintenance is more expensive on a diesel as well. I love a diesel and miss mine but I don't need it right now but when I upgrade in the next few years I will go back as I will need it once again.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You know it really is dumb that diesel is not cheaper than gasoline I mean less work to make and probably sell more because of over the road trucks and etc. I digress to me sounds like a gas engine is best for you since short drive often. These new diesels need to be worked even more than before or they will clog up. Short runs won't help that and probably not a good idea unless you want to drive it until warranty is gone and trade up again. The Hemi is often overlooked but I can tell you from my 1500 experience the engine is never what my limit is. It is the law for load and the coils. If you find a Hemi either one 5.7L or 6.4L I guarantee it is harder for the dealer to sell so you can get a nicer deal on it. Diesel daily drivers are more popular than ever so they don't deal on them as much. I would avoid one with a plow or any type of ball or hitch plate in the back since it will be more risk.

$miley

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Good heavens, that's ridiculous!!! You might as well be in commifornia where the weather is nice......

Well, over here in good 'ol Europe we pay $7,50 to $8,00 per US gallon, if I convert the prices. So just consider yourselves lucky. I converted my Ram to run on LPG, which makes it affordable.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93