If You're Looking at the 2019 Ram 2500 Hemi 6.4 - Here's my 2 Cents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 2500 Laramie CC/LB w/6.7L IL-6CTD. When I bought my truck I wanted a Power Wagon. But I wanted the 8ft bed and a Cummins Diesel. No go. So I bought the 2wd 2500 Laramie w/IL-6 CTD. I love it and I have no regrets about not getting he Power Wagon. Congrats on your new ride.

View attachment 192297

You wanted a power wagon, but ended up with a 2wd? Hmmmmmmm....

Nice truck, though!!!!!

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
You wanted a power wagon, but ended up with a 2wd? Hmmmmmmm....

Nice truck, though!!!!!

I wanted a Power Wagon. But they don't come with a 8ft. bed or with a Cummins Turbo Diesel. By the time i would have ordered want I wanted and put the winch in it would have been about $6500.00 bucks more in price, We needed a new truck but really had no use for 4wd. The Power Wagon was more of a want than an actual need.
I guess as you get older your wants and needs change also,

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wanted a Power Wagon. But they don't come with a 8ft. bed or with a Cummins Turbo Diesel. By the time i would have ordered want I wanted and put the winch in it would have been about $6500.00 bucks more in price, We needed a new truck but really had no use for 4wd. The Power Wagon was more of a want than an actual need.
I guess as you get older your wants and needs change also,

yes, i am aware the power wagon only comes in a crew cab short box with a hemi. I have one. I just thought it was odd you were after one but ended up with a 2wd. Went to the other end of the spectrum LOL.
Nice truck anyhow!

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m enjoying my 6.4 Hemi. Would’ve loved the diesel but saw no point paying 20% more for the truck and 10% more for fuel to drive around a truck that won’t be towing anything bigger than a bumper pull travel trailer.

Cruising around the Hemi is smooth and quiet. The 8 speed auto really sets the gas Ram HD trucks apart from the rest. Hopefully Ram will put a similar transmission behind the Cummins because the 68RFE and Aisin, while solid and proven, are not nearly as refined.

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
so i love my 18 powerwagon....so much so, that i may waive my failed trans as a fluke....

the new 8speed is what its all about....if you aint a diesel guy, scared of diesel regs....the new 6.4 mated with the 8 speed is the best gasser option out there. similar trans to so many sports cars including hellcats.. Regarded as one of the worlds best transmission options and now the best truck in the world gets it.

(only reason to buy a diesel and go full delete big turbo...but thats actually illegal now?even in Florida which has no inspections)

if i could find a dealer who would give me a fair price for the truck, but actually swap over all my parts...i would be ecstatic in many ways, but also not willing to part for some.

the bypasses and "usability" of the truck is only easily avialable for 18s and earlier. It will take some cracking on the new trucks but when it happens.

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
yes, i am aware the power wagon only comes in a crew cab short box with a hemi. I have one. I just thought it was odd you were after one but ended up with a 2wd. Went to the other end of the spectrum LOL.
Nice truck anyhow!

I bought a 1019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk. It has a 5.7L Hemi. I really enjoy that Jeep. I some times think I should have gone ahead and bought the Hemi,Power Wagon. but I still wanted an 8 ft bed. So you win some you loose some. I like to think I won on bothe the purchase of the 2500 Ram and the JGC.

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Have had a 2020 2500 6.4L for a couple weeks now. best truck I've ever owned and although not the same as a diesel it's got all the power I need plus some. Couldn't be happier.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
919651.png

She’s thirsty when towing... or in 4wd... or when it’s -30... or you’re hammer down passing idiots.... but if it’s summer and you’re at sea level with a nice tailwind you can see 17-18mpg...

Last edited:

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hey redman, what kind of mpg's are seeing?
I have a little under 600 miles on it so far, but mostly side streets and traffic and I'm getting 10.5 on the evic. However, when I get out on the clear freeway I get pretty decent but not enough info to say exactly what I'm getting. have a trip lined up in Feb, I'll come back with better numbers.

also like to add that Ive taken it into mountain passes so I'm not driving in ideal mpg conditions

Jeff Ward

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 CCSB 4x4
Engine
6.4 gasser
Keep us posted on mpg's. Especially if you find yourself on flat-ish hwy going 70-75 empty!
Also anyone else with some mpg numbers?

motoracer-x

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 soon
Engine
Hey all...I've been looking at a new or slightly used 2019 Ram 2500.

I have an '02 Ford Excursion V10, 4x4, that i use as my tow rig for towing about 7000 lbs of enclosed trailer and motorcycles, 6-8 times a year. Trips are usually 400-1500 miles round trips.

I had a trip from SW Ohio to northern Florida this past wknd. My Excursion runs/drives great, buut it does have 220k miles. The idea of breaking down in the TN mountains in the middle of the night and ruining a 5 day trip that you alreay have thousands invested in, was too much of a risk this time around.

So, Enterprise car rental i go. I was supposed to have been picking up a 2019 F150 lariat 5.0, but it was due for service and they sent me to another locations where they had a ram and a silverado. But to my surprise , the Ram was a 2019 2500 6.4, 4x4, short bed, BigHorn.

I was all over renting that truck.

Long story short, i love this truck. Pulled effortlessly, up and down the rolling hills of KY, through the mountains of TN and North Georgia.....80-85 mph.

750 miles one way....avg gas-o-meter showed 8.9 mpg. Which isn't bad for those speeds and that terrain.

Truck was just as quiet at 80 as it was at 20. That amazed me more than anything.

A new truck would not be driven for my 80 mile commute to work. It wouuld be tow vehicle and around town truck to the store on Sunday. Might put 6000 miles a year on it and that's it. The low mileage that i would drive it is what makes it hard to justify buying one.

I was literally heartbroken when i dropped it off today and got in my 04 honda pilot beater work car.

Just looked at a local dealers' website and they have a banner with a " $12,000 off on 2019 Ram 2500". But they only have two that are of the higher end variety.

I'm willing to travel for a deal. Any suggestions? I'm in SW Ohio. I'd travel 400-500 miles if needed.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
I haven’t actually calculated my MPG by hand, but my truck display is telling me I’m getting 12.9 Mpg on average over the last 1000 miles. I have a very light foot and probably half and half in town and highway. It is a 3500 crew cab long bed 4X4 with the 6.4. 4.10 rear end.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Read those '$12,000 off' things carefully. Many times they include rebates that nobody qualifies for, unless you are a left handed doctor that owns a farm and has 1 eye.....lol

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a crew cab long bed 6.4 with 4.10 gears.

Fuelly says I’m sitting at 12.5 average, last rank was 13. Computer usually shows 12.5 to 13 so it’s pretty close. Current tank it’s saying 13.5 but last two fillips have been 91 (Costco doesn’t sell 89) to see if it really makes a difference. I’ll probably switch back to 87 after a few tanks to see.

I had a double cab Tacoma with a 6 speed manual it would barely get 15-16 out here. Prior to that I had a Silverado 1500 Vortec Max 6.0 that got 13. I’m much happier with the Ram.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all...I've been looking at a new or slightly used 2019 Ram 2500.

I have an '02 Ford Excursion V10, 4x4, that i use as my tow rig for towing about 7000 lbs of enclosed trailer and motorcycles, 6-8 times a year. Trips are usually 400-1500 miles round trips.

I had a trip from SW Ohio to northern Florida this past wknd. My Excursion runs/drives great, buut it does have 220k miles. The idea of breaking down in the TN mountains in the middle of the night and ruining a 5 day trip that you alreay have thousands invested in, was too much of a risk this time around.

So, Enterprise car rental i go. I was supposed to have been picking up a 2019 F150 lariat 5.0, but it was due for service and they sent me to another locations where they had a ram and a silverado. But to my surprise , the Ram was a 2019 2500 6.4, 4x4, short bed, BigHorn.

I was all over renting that truck.

Long story short, i love this truck. Pulled effortlessly, up and down the rolling hills of KY, through the mountains of TN and North Georgia.....80-85 mph.

750 miles one way....avg gas-o-meter showed 8.9 mpg. Which isn't bad for those speeds and that terrain.

Truck was just as quiet at 80 as it was at 20. That amazed me more than anything.

A new truck would not be driven for my 80 mile commute to work. It wouuld be tow vehicle and around town truck to the store on Sunday. Might put 6000 miles a year on it and that's it. The low mileage that i would drive it is what makes it hard to justify buying one.

I was literally heartbroken when i dropped it off today and got in my 04 honda pilot beater work car.

Just looked at a local dealers' website and they have a banner with a " $12,000 off on 2019 Ram 2500". But they only have two that are of the higher end variety.

I'm willing to travel for a deal. Any suggestions? I'm in SW Ohio. I'd travel 400-500 miles if needed.

Just get on car gurus, type in your area and the distance you are willing to travel. Then filter down to your trim/color/features preferences. You will be amazed how many are near by.

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Keep us posted on mpg's. Especially if you find yourself on flat-ish hwy going 70-75 empty!
Also anyone else with some mpg numbers?
Mixed driving I'm still at about 10.4 hand calculated. However, when I've been on the freeway, 70 mph, 1800-1900 rpm flat and unloaded I'll get spot 20-22 mpg according to the evic which we all know is untrustworthy but that's the best I can give ya. After my trip end Feb I'll update again. Still haven't cracked 1k miles yet on the odometer either so I anticipate mpg to improve slightly over time.

Edit: I'd also like to add I'm running 4.10 gearing.

Last edited: