Cummins 6.7 vs hemi 6.4 (with a twist)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

katokahn99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
TOTP!!!!
He decided on gasser on page 1 post #9...and we're still discussing it today on page 5 and post #41. :happy175:

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm looking at a new 2500. Love it and was set to purchase the 6.4 but was crunching the numbers and am having second thoughts on engine choice. I live in bizarro world ware diesel is always .50 cents cheaper than gas. I would save $20 a week assuming a 12 vs 16 mpg. I love diesels and the fuel savings help offset cost plus the increased resale. One caveat of my micro-enviorment is I never drive over 50mph. I don't tow often but want payload capacity. I know diesels excel in longer commutes. I mostly drive 5-15 miles, never really getting engine to temp. I worry that I could have emission issues under these circumstances. Looking for some opinions.

I've owned a 2007 Chevy 2500 Diesel, a 2012 2500 Dodge Diesel, a 2014 3500 diesel and now a new 2014 2500 diesel. If you want a suggestion, don't buy one. Not saying their bad ~ I love all that I've owned. I say it because of the way you drive. A diesel is not designed for a DD, their designed to work them as hard as you can.

You are correct. You will have emission problems by "lugging" the engine at your slow driving speeds. Additionally at those speeds, your mileage is going to suffer so their goes any savings on fuel. Where I live now, diesel is going for $3.95 a gallon. Try filling up a 32 gallon tank and see where that leaves your bank account.

Also factor in the UREA. At my dealer it costs me $11.95 a gallon. Cheaper though if you get it at truck stops. When the UREA tank reads half full you are to add 2 1/2 gallons. However the way your driving habits are, I doubt seriously if you will have to fill that tank up to often. Basic rule is open road, towing, you refill around 1,000 miles.

The owners manual states there is really no "break-in" on the engine. So with each diesel I bought, I hooked up my 32' travel trailer and ran it up and down mountain passes and by no means did I baby it.

Your mileage will be poor until you get about 20,000 miles on the truck. By then you should be running in the range of 17-18 mpg. Maybe a tad more - tad less.

Based on what I have read, towing ~ you might be replacing the tranny at around 120,000 miles. And again, that will vary.

You will have three (3) filters to change and they don't run cheap.

Payload capacity? You will need to be hauling a very large load and quite often to justify buying a diesel just for that.

Needless to say, exterior and interior Dodge trucks can't be beat. The workmanship that goes into them has, for the most part, surpassed other diesel trucks on the market. It's more like driving a car. You have your "jake break" to slow you down while towing a trailer and going down a mountain. You havee the six or eight speed manual shifter which is also great for slowing the truck down or helping you get up mountains.

I can sit here and list many more good things about a diesel. However, having owned what I have, my recommendation to you is to buy a gas 2500
Yes, I owned one of those if I remember correctly lol.

It would be your choice but don't get the long bed diesel or even the long bed gas 2500. As sit was posted on here, you'll have a real ball trying to pull one of those into a shopping center parking space.

My current 2500 is a short bed and I love every short inch on it. I can rip through the corners, running with TOYO tires and it again feels as if you are driving a car. Then again, you might get the same feeling with a gas truck. Diesels are heavy and just my opinion, that's why they corner so good and ride really smooth.

MODS? You can trick out a diesel just as well as you can a gas truck but it's going to cost you a lot more.

Diesels have to be warmed up before starting and there is a cooling down period depending on how you drive it ~ hauling, towing or just regular driving. And you want to cool it down!

My 2500 sits in my shop with a engine warmer plugged into it when the temp's get to low. My DD is my 2014 Rubicon. However, don't let a diesel sit there. I take mine out of the shop once or twice a week and have a certain road I take and just blow the crap out of it which keeps interrnal parts lubed.

Well I see I done it again ~ my usual rambling. Sorry about that! But seriously, for what you want and your driving habits, please go with the 2500 gas truck. There is just a lot more maintenance on a diesel vs a gas truck and that equates more money.

Good luck. Either way you are buying a "Dodge."

P.S. Take a 2500 6.7 for a test drive. NO, don't just drive it four or five miles. Tell the salesman you are going to be darn sure you will like the truck. With 370 hp and 850 lbs torque, it will throw you back into the seat. But don't let little things like that be your deciding factor in buying it lol

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
TOTP!!!!
He decided on gasser on page 1 post #9...and we're still discussing it today on page 5 and post #41. :happy175:

:insane: Okay I said there was an awful lot of information on this forum. However I see that I need to engage brain before letting fingers do the talking.

Maybe? it will make him feel better though. :Big Laugh:

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm looking at a new 2500. Love it and was set to purchase the 6.4 but was crunching the numbers and am having second thoughts on engine choice. I live in bizarro world ware diesel is always .50 cents cheaper than gas. I would save $20 a week assuming a 12 vs 16 mpg. I love diesels and the fuel savings help offset cost plus the increased resale. One caveat of my micro-enviorment is I never drive over 50mph. I don't tow often but want payload capacity. I know diesels excel in longer commutes. I mostly drive 5-15 miles, never really getting engine to temp. I worry that I could have emission issues under these circumstances. Looking for some opinions.

lol ~ I gave you my advice on which truck I would buy. My reply is hidden deep within the last post about this thread and it has been brought to my attention that you had already bought the gasser. I need to start reading from post 1 through x x x x before I give out any further opinions. Hope you like the gas truck.

Ach1130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I currently have a 1500 with the hemi. I'm looking into a 2500 though. I'm between the 6.4 and the cummins.

The truck will be a daily driver, my JOb is 20 min away all highway driving. I know diesels need to be opened up every so often. Also there are trips about two hours away when I go to visit my family.

I don't tow that often or too heavy. Most of my towing is my car trailer with either my show/race car or my off road jeep. All over 150 miles away. My 1500 pulls them now.

Reason I'm looking towards a 2500 is for snow plowing and also looking to do side work with the truck. I have two close friends who work as diesel mechanics so finding a mechanic is not a issue.

In some places diesel is more by me, but some places it's cheaper than premium which I put in my 1500 when pulling. One of my coworkers knows where all the cheap diesel is, plus I work close to state lines and fuel is a lot cheaper there.

I do a lot of highway driving even when not going to work. I put about 15k a year mileage

I dont need all the bells and whistles and options, just a few things I like. So it won't be costing me a arm and leg for the diesel, but the gassed is quite a bit cheaper. More than likely with the diesel o would get a tuner as well as a nice exhaust system(wanting that for 10+ years). My uncle is a retired mechanic for Chrysler and told me what I can do and what tuner I can put in the truck that won't void the warranty

Any thoughts? And yes this will be my first diesel. I've had 2 5.7s

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is no such thing as an acceptable tuner that won't void a warrantee.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
More than likely with the diesel o would get a tuner as well as a nice exhaust system(wanting that for 10+ years). My uncle is a retired mechanic for Chrysler and told me what I can do and what tuner I can put in the truck that won't void the warranty

Any thoughts? And yes this will be my first diesel. I've had 2 5.7s

The only tuners you can currently go with on the new 2013+ trucks without them seeing anything to void any kind of warrantee is either the Edge Juice with Attitude or the TS Stryker. Both of these are modules that connect between your wiring harness to the engine and other components to intercept the mapping from the ECU and give it a different mapping. They do not do alter any mapping to your ECM like programmers do.

My recommendation would be the Edge over the Stryker for many reasons. For one, there is no adjustability with the Stryker for things like torque management or tire sizes. There also only one setting with the TS Stryker.

With the Edge, you can adjust the torque management level, low boost level, tire sizes to fix your dash speedo(this will flash the ECM), and so much more. The Edge is also a "tune on the fly" to 5 different setting without a hot unlock. I usually switch between Economy(level 1) and Drive(level 3) depending on how I feel that day, but I have gone up to race(level 4) which adds another 65 hp and 160 lb-ft to show some cocky Chevy 1500 owner how my tailgate looks. Like i said it is adjustable on the fly so just hit the next level button as you are driving and you instantly have more power since it alters fueling. You can also monitor your engine with the Edge and have it set to back down if the some of the temps get a little too high which I have never even came close to.

I would also follow up the Edge with a BD Throttle Sensitivity Booster that is another module that connects between your TPS(Throttle Position Sensor) to alter your pedal response. The factory DBW(Drive By Wire) system makes the pedal feel spongy and you have to damn near mash it to get any response out of the engine. This is not turbo lag like most think. This is due to the DBW being tuned for fuel economy rather than performance by the ECM controlling engine power rather than your right foot. The BD throttle booster eliminated this "dead pedal" feel and makes it like the old cable driven systems with an instant response from the engine. These two components will dramatically change the way your truck drives and make it a lot more fun to drive without making a red flag to void your warranty.

Last edited:

428 Cobra Jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 CTD
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I've owned a 2007 Chevy 2500 Diesel, a 2012 2500 Dodge Diesel, a 2014 3500 diesel and now a new 2014 2500 diesel. If you want a suggestion, don't buy one. Not saying their bad ~ I love all that I've owned. I say it because of the way you drive. A diesel is not designed for a DD, their designed to work them as hard as you can.

You are correct. You will have emission problems by "lugging" the engine at your slow driving speeds. Additionally at those speeds, your mileage is going to suffer so their goes any savings on fuel. Where I live now, diesel is going for $3.95 a gallon. Try filling up a 32 gallon tank and see where that leaves your bank account.

I'm paying between $2.49-2.29
Also factor in the UREA. At my dealer it costs me $11.95 a gallon. Cheaper though if you get it at truck stops. When the UREA tank reads half full you are to add 2 1/2 gallons. However the way your driving habits are, I doubt seriously if you will have to fill that tank up to often. Basic rule is open road, towing, you refill around 1,000 miles.

iMine was at a 1/4 tank and it cost me $12 to fill it up at a truck stop

The owners manual states there is really no "break-in" on the engine. So with each diesel I bought, I hooked up my 32' travel trailer and ran it up and down mountain passes and by no means did I baby it.

Your mileage will be poor until you get about 20,000 miles on the truck. By then you should be running in the range of 17-18 mpg. Maybe a tad more - tad less.

Poor? Right out of the gate through 4K miles I am getting hand calculated 17.5-21 depending on how much city/highway

Based on what I have read, towing ~ you might be replacing the tranny at around 120,000 miles. And again, that will vary.

You will have three (3) filters to change and they don't run cheap.

Payload capacity? You will need to be hauling a very large load and quite often to justify buying a diesel just for that.

Needless to say, exterior and interior Dodge trucks can't be beat. The workmanship that goes into them has, for the most part, surpassed other diesel trucks on the market. It's more like driving a car. You have your "jake break" to slow you down while towing a trailer and going down a mountain. You havee the six or eight speed manual shifter which is also great for slowing the truck down or helping you get up mountains.

I can sit here and list many more good things about a diesel. However, having owned what I have, my recommendation to you is to buy a gas 2500
Yes, I owned one of those if I remember correctly lol.

It would be your choice but don't get the long bed diesel or even the long bed gas 2500. As sit was posted on here, you'll have a real ball trying to pull one of those into a shopping center parking space.

My current 2500 is a short bed and I love every short inch on it. I can rip through the corners, running with TOYO tires and it again feels as if you are driving a car. Then again, you might get the same feeling with a gas truck. Diesels are heavy and just my opinion, that's why they corner so good and ride really smooth.

MODS? You can trick out a diesel just as well as you can a gas truck but it's going to cost you a lot more.

I disagree, a tuner can do wonders on a diesel and is cheap compared to headers, exhaust, cams, heads, turbos, super chargers, and a tuner to make a difference. A diesel is cheaper and gets way more power cheaper.

Diesels have to be warmed up before starting and there is a cooling down period depending on how you drive it ~ hauling, towing or just regular driving. And you want to cool it down!

My 2500 sits in my shop with a engine warmer plugged into it when the temp's get to low. My DD is my 2014 Rubicon. However, don't let a diesel sit there. I take mine out of the shop once or twice a week and have a certain road I take and just blow the crap out of it which keeps interrnal parts lubed.

Well I see I done it again ~ my usual rambling. Sorry about that! But seriously, for what you want and your driving habits, please go with the 2500 gas truck. There is just a lot more maintenance on a diesel vs a gas truck and that equates more money.

Good luck. Either way you are buying a "Dodge."

P.S. Take a 2500 6.7 for a test drive. NO, don't just drive it four or five miles. Tell the salesman you are going to be darn sure you will like the truck. With 370 hp and 850 lbs torque, it will throw you back into the seat. But don't let little things like that be your deciding factor in buying it lol

Wholeheartedly agree. I took mine for a 400 mile test drive believe it or not. Sales manager insisted.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How spoiled are we? Remember 20yrs ago? We didn't know how to tow our RV without a Gasser. All of 200 hp or so, getting 8 empty. The first gen TD had around 400 ft-lbs. They made great mileage, and pulled like nothing we had before. Now we have gasses that perform close to those standards and it isn't good enough.

The hippie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins

Where is bizarro?

The hippie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
los angeles diesel now is more than 1 dollar cheaper . Diesel is $3.03 per gallon while the cheapest gas is about $4.15

Stonemug

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
None
Another thing to consider is you can get a bumper to bumper life time warranty on the 6.4 hemi and this is not offered on the Cummings. I am in the same boat as the original post and am perplexed on which to chose. I drive 45min one way to work and travel with about 1500 lbs of tools daily. My side construction business, that I operate after my first shift job, keeps me running another 20-30 miles on top of my return trip home. I don't haul 10k very often, maybe 5k two or three times a month, but getting decent fuel economy is still a benefit. I currently drive an 03 Silverado with a 5.3, which gets 14-15mpg under these driving conditions.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Did you guys make a decision? And if so, what did you get?