If You're Looking at the 2019 Ram 2500 Hemi 6.4 - Here's my 2 Cents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snowmiser68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey all! I'm new to this forum as a poster (mostly just lurked here over the past several months). I owe a lot to these forums and they helped me in pulling the pin on buying my 2019 Ram 2500 4X4 6.4 w/ 4.10. My pay back for all your observations is to share some of my own. You may see the same post on a few different forums - I'm just trying to help those looking at a 2019 Ram 2500 w/ Hemi 6.4. I bought my truck a week ago.

I bought the Tradesman level trim, which is pretty amazing for a "base level." My former truck was a 2001 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke (Lariat trim level), and I am a Ram convert - for sure! I love the old F-250 (it had 180,000 miles when I parted with it), but I truly love this new Ram. Today's Tradesman trim level is equal to or above older, higher trim levels. There were a few upgrades (cloth seats, carpet, chrome, etc.), but the common features are more than enough for me. The 8-speed transmission is truly smooth (I haven't towed with it yet - but will in a few weeks and I'll post about it), and my mileage was much higher than I expected. I hand-calc'd a road trip from Montana to California and averaged 16.8 mpg for the highway miles (The truck computer said 17.2 - so not too far off. I didn't do it in town - not sure about that mileage). The 4.10 gearing was great and provided lots of power. You can find 4.10s , but it requires a little searching around for the 2500. As I said, I haven't towed yet, but I tow a 7k pound bumper pull travel trailer and really like the stability of the 3/4 ton. My old truck had leaf springs and I really like the coil springs - it made for a nice ride. I also move some flooring materials around and like the payload on these trucks.

I was concerned about the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) as everyone was commenting on how springy the rear end was with 80 psi. I didn't find it too bad, but lowered the tire pressure to 70 in the rear and 75 in the front, which was within the limits of the system to avoid a warning light. I never like driving at maximum pressure for a number of reasons - not least of which is that years ago I had a tire separate in Vegas when the hot temperature expanded and increased the tire pressure.

I love the Hemi! It sounds like a beast. If I heard that engine, I'd think it had been modified - it sounds pretty mean. The height on these trucks seems a bit much (I'm putting a 6" drop hitch on it) and running boards are a necessity if you drive friends or older family around. It used to be that you couldn't get this height without a lift and now it's standard. I'm not complaining, it just might take some getting used to.

I was a pretty diehard Ford guy, and I still like them, but I can tell I'm really going to love this truck. I'm now living in Montana and I'd heard a few stories about diesels (I don't want this to turn into the diesel vs. gas world war 3 - I'm a former diesel guy and I love them. I know they beat gas trucks in towing over 10k, I just didn't need that torque) so I went to gas. The dealership said that they leave their Ram Hemis on the lot all winter without plugging them in and have no starting issues. Anyway, initial impressions are that it's an amazing truck, after driving it about 1500 miles. I hope it's super reliable and that I just grow to love it more. The get up and go is impressive, the gas mileage has been very surprising (but who cares that much - it's a heavy duty truck), and the ride is really nice. If you're going gas I would highly recommend the 2019, with the 8-speed.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to give back for all the information I gained from all of you!

IMG_3411.jpg

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Very cool. Thanks. I’ll be waiting for your tow report.

My buddy just picked one up. I drove that thing. Omg I love that 8 speed. So smooth, shift points are right on. The 6 speed in mine is the only thing I do not like about my truck. I wish I could either change my shift points or put that 8 speed in mine.

Enjoy!

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP- great post, thanks for the info. I have the same truck, what tire size is on your truck?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 6 speed in mine is the only thing I do not like about my truck. I wish I could either change my shift points or put that 8 speed in mine.

Enjoy!

100% agree with you! I love my truck... but cant stand this damned trans!
I think it would be acceptable to me if the shift points could be played with.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Snowmiser, what speed were you cruising to get 16.8 mpg on your trip?

Countryboy8602

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is awesome, am looking at getting a 2019 myself, possibly with the hemi. I’ve heard a story that the new 2019 2500’s are not affected by the annoying tpms low psi alarm anymore.... not sure if anyone could confirm this but would be awesome if true.

Motoman501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That is awesome, am looking at getting a 2019 myself, possibly with the hemi. I’ve heard a story that the new 2019 2500’s are not affected by the annoying tpms low psi alarm anymore.... not sure if anyone could confirm this but would be awesome if true.

The tpms alarm will go off on the 2500 if you drop the pressure much. I used an obdII adapter with alpha obd to turn it off. You also need the bypass cable for it to work but no more alarms.

Other than the squealing noise at start up I'm very happy with my 2019 Hemi. It doesn't pull hills like my Cummins did but is a lot better as a daily driver....

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I’ve got an almost identical ‘19 Tradesman Hemi sitting in my driveway right now on an extended test drive from a local Ram store. Drove it from south Fort Worth to north FW during rush hour and I really like it...it’s in Max Steel and has the Off-Road Package. The wife is about to get home and has no idea; I’ll let y’all known her reaction. It should be funny!

TXCOMT

OP
OP
snowmiser68

snowmiser68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Snowmiser, what speed were you cruising to get 16.8 mpg on your trip?

...and I was pretty easy on the acceleration. I've been averaging around 14.4 around town - 45 mph or less with some stoplights. Like all engines, I expect it to improve as it loosens up. Keep in mind that I'm 50, not 25, and I drive like it.;)

OP
OP
snowmiser68

snowmiser68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well, I’ve got an almost identical ‘19 Tradesman Hemi sitting in my driveway right now on an extended test drive from a local Ram store. Drove it from south Fort Worth to north FW during rush hour and I really like it...it’s in Max Steel and has the Off-Road Package. The wife is about to get home and has no idea; I’ll let y’all known her reaction. It should be funny!

TXCOMT

I actually like the Max Steel a little better than my Granite Crystal Metallic. I just couldn't find one with the 4.10s. I'm really happy with this truck though. Having been married a long time - I'm looking forward to hearing your wife's take on the truck! That's the way to do it - park it in the driveway - it's like pulling the band-aid off really quick!

I just bought a Tyger soft cover for the bed (6.5 feet) and it fits really well. I had the TonnoPro on my old F250 (which lasted ten years and I also highly recommend), but I went with the Tyger because it's a tad bit longer. I've seen videos of them with snow loads on them and it sounds like they hold up really well for a soft cover. I went with a DeeZee heavyweight bed mat from Amazon - which was $77. The tonneau cover and bed mat together were less than $300 and really work well for the Ram.
IMG_3424.jpg

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually like the Max Steel a little better than my Granite Crystal Metallic. I just couldn't find one with the 4.10s. I'm really happy with this truck though. Having been married a long time - I'm looking forward to hearing your wife's take on the truck! That's the way to do it - park it in the driveway - it's like pulling the band-aid off really quick!

Yep, that was the thinking behind my tactic! She's pleased with the color, but not the lack of tech. I told her that's just how it is with the Tradesman rigs; they're made for the working man! The other thing she noticed was the MPG readout on the EVIC..."11 miles to the gallon? How much does your Rebel get?" Well, umm, yeah, the Reb gets 16-17, especially when burning no-corn unleaded.

Oh, well. I think my last 2500 stand will be a nicely optioned '19 Big Horn I found last night...it has many features my Reb has, except no RamBox. If that doesn't work, I'll hold onto the Reb for another few years.

As for 4.10s in a gasser, those are practically impossible to find on Dallas-Fort Worth dealer lots. So far, all the ones I've seen have 3.73s.

TXCOMT

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As for 4.10s in a gasser, those are practically impossible to find on Dallas-Fort Worth dealer lots. So far, all the ones I've seen have 3.73s.

TXCOMT

After driving my 3rd 3/4 ton gasser in the last 4 years, I will say while the 4.30 in the Ford and the 4.10 in the previous hemi were a must, the 4.10 in my current 8 spd feel like too much for me. I don't run larger than the 33" stock size tire anymore either. Unless you plan to run large tires or tow often, I would say the 3.73 will treat you well with this new 8spd.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After driving my 3rd 3/4 ton gasser in the last 4 years, I will say while the 4.30 in the Ford and the 4.10 in the previous hemi were a must, the 4.10 in my current 8 spd feel like too much for me. I don't run larger than the 33" stock size tire anymore either. Unless you plan to run large tires or tow often, I would say the 3.73 will treat you well with this new 8spd.

And maybe that's why North Texas dealers have spec'd 'em that way...good to know, RD!

TXCOMT

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Yes, I believe the 8 speed can get away with taller gearing in comparison to the 6 speed. A way lower first gear and two more throughout the range makes a HUGE difference.

But what the hell, these fenders were made for 35s/37s so go 4.10 if you can lol!

OP
OP
snowmiser68

snowmiser68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yep, that was the thinking behind my tactic! She's pleased with the color, but not the lack of tech. I told her that's just how it is with the Tradesman rigs; they're made for the working man! The other thing she noticed was the MPG readout on the EVIC..."11 miles to the gallon? How much does your Rebel get?" Well, umm, yeah, the Reb gets 16-17, especially when burning no-corn unleaded.

Oh, well. I think my last 2500 stand will be a nicely optioned '19 Big Horn I found last night...it has many features my Reb has, except no RamBox. If that doesn't work, I'll hold onto the Reb for another few years.

TXCOMT

Yeah, the 4.10s were a want, not a must for me. I do think the 8 speed solves a lot of the former problems with shifting and the need for the 4.10. I just figured it would be a nice benefit, for a little more juice when I needed it. I pulled an empty 29' enclosed car trailer today (about 4500 pounds) and accelerated like I wasn't pulling a thing. Granted, it's really light, but the stability and power was great. Accelerating on the highway was better than my old 7.3 Powerstroke and I didn't even use the tow/haul mode. I tried it but it was overkill for such a light load.

To find the 4.10, I had to read through a lot of online window stickers in Western Montana and North Idaho. They don't advertise the gearing that obviously - it took some research!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990