Cummins at High Altitude

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bramic71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello. I currently have a 2016 Ram 1500 Hemi. I am contemplating switching for a 3/4 ton with a Cummins, due to planning on pulling our camper more while working. We are possibly going to purchase a piece of land that sits at about 9500ft altitude. How would the Cummins do at a higher altitude? My Hemi does fine while we go there, but it would be hard on it while towing more often. Thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Get deisel as local to the property as you can, usually gas stations in freeze zones have the fuel you need. You can use anti gel if you want to feel good about it. Might have to use a the water separator, I don't even know what they are using now so I cant say. It takes more energy to start a Cummins, good to have battery back up, maybe a block heater if you ever have issues, I doubt you will.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
We are possibly going to purchase a piece of land that sits at about 9500ft altitude. How would the Cummins do at a higher altitude? My Hemi does fine while we go there, but it would be hard on it while towing more often.
Your Hemi actually losses horsepower as you go up in altitude. The Cummins having a turbo doesn't suffer the same loss as a naturally aspirated engine like the Hemi. You'll also really appreciate the exhaust brake of the CTD while towing. You might forget you have a trailer behind the truck.
Depending on where you buy your fuel, you might want to run anti-gel additive in the winter. The CTD already has a block heater and you'll run a winter front when it's cold

Might have to use a the water separator, I don't even know what they are using now so I cant say.
Both fuel filters on the Cummins separate water and as for an additive you use a demulsifier. This helps force water out of the fuel so the mechanical separators can catch it. With gas engines the additives absorb the water so the engine burns it with the gas, this is very bad for HPFPs that pump upwards of 30K psi.