Cummins HO

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 Outdoorsman
Engine
Crap... I grazed a key on my computer & hit the "I" instead of "U". I would edit it but it will not let me edit the title. :mad: I currently do not own a diesel but may in the near future. I was wanting to know what all the differences are in the base line Cummins compared to the High Output. Is it mostly just tuning or are things like the turbo, fuel rail, valve size all different?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They use a different block material and a few new internal parts (19-20 HO) to handle the extra HP but everything else is basically the same and the tuning is changed to get the extra HP. HO will also come with the Aisin transmission. It is only available in the 3500 as well.

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 DRW CTD
Engine
CGI Cummins 6.7 HO
The difference from the older HO to SO was basically tuning, but on the '19+ the HO has lower compression ratio, different turbo(I think), runs more boost, different injectors(I think), and other things. Biggest difference I can ever recall between the two. AFAIK, ALL the new Cummins are running the CGI block. There is also more of an MPG difference between the SO and HO than before, IMHO.

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 Outdoorsman
Engine
The difference from the older HO to SO was basically tuning, but on the '19+ the HO has lower compression ratio, different turbo(I think), runs more boost, different injectors(I think), and other things. Biggest difference I can ever recall between the two. AFAIK, ALL the new Cummins are running the CGI block. There is also more of an MPG difference between the SO and HO than before, IMHO.

I see you have one. I bet it can yank some weight down the road!

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Crap... I grazed a key on my computer & hit the "I" instead of "U". I would edit it but it will not let me edit the title. :mad: I currently do not own a diesel but may in the near future. I was wanting to know what all the differences are in the base line Cummins compared to the High Output. Is it mostly just tuning or are things like the turbo, fuel rail, valve size all different?

What weights are you looking to pull? That's a big difference is the capacity. From what I have read, people tuning the SO diesel to get to the stock HO power.

Driving unloaded I do not notice a difference. Pulling my 12K toyhauler, the difference between my 2013 RAM 2500 SO diesel and this 2020 RAM 3500 HO diesel is amazing.

So the real questions is: what trailers are in your sights and what are those weights? And if you want towing capacity, you will want a Tradesman edition. The upper trims have 800-1200 pounds less payload than my Tradesman does. I found that looking at the door labels on truck on the dealer's lot Jan-April of this year. I have a 2020 RAM 3500 Tradesman CC LB 4x4 DRW with 5475 payload.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 DRW CTD
Engine
CGI Cummins 6.7 HO
I see you have one. I bet it can yank some weight down the road!
Yes, it pulls like a train. MPG could be better, and the Aisin, while very stout, is pretty crude in operation, and I get a pretty terrible shudder on the 2-3 upshift, when pulling the toy hauler. I will be interested to see what they replace the Aisin with. And hoping they see the error of their ways, and dump the CP4 pump.

MADDOG

Snazzy Jeeper
Administrator
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Jeep JL Willys Edition
Engine
2.0L 4CYL Turbo
What's a "Cimmins" ? :D

Fixed it ...

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 Outdoorsman
Engine
What weights are you looking to pull? That's a big difference is the capacity. From what I have read, people tuning the SO diesel to get to the stock HO power.

Driving unloaded I do not notice a difference. Pulling my 12K toyhauler, the difference between my 2013 RAM 2500 SO diesel and this 2020 RAM 3500 HO diesel is amazing.

So the real questions is: what trailers are in your sights and what are those weights? And if you want towing capacity, you will want a Tradesman edition. The upper trims have 800-1200 pounds less payload than my Tradesman does. I found that looking at the door labels on truck on the dealer's lot Jan-April of this year. I have a 2020 RAM 3500 Tradesman CC LB 4x4 DRW with 5475 payload.

The heaviest thing I currently pull is my 38' 5th wheel fully loaded at 13,500. Re-geared my gas engine to 4.56 with stock tires so it does alright. Once we retire, or maybe a little sooner, we may get a slightly bigger 5th wheel that is made more for full timing which will means it will be heavier. Right now I am at nearly max on my axle weights with some only having a couple hundred pounds from being over. If we start doing this more regularly in the future, I will want something that is more than enough rather than just enough.