Cutting out at high revs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tpettit

TAPPER
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've got a 2018 PW with about 600 miles on it. Last night, got on it, and at higher revs, it was cutting out. Probably 3 times in around 5 seconds. Was doing about 40 at the time I stomped on it. Accelerated real nice but was cutting out. Mechanic buddy said it sounded like a rev limiter, cuts the fuel off momentarily. Any info out there?

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Yep, sounds like the rev limiter. Its so that if you don't know when to say when, you truck does. That way you don't blow up the motor in your 600 mile truck.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Depending on what kind of traction you had, I suppose it could have been the tires starting to break loose and the traction control kicking in as well. I find that probably unlikely at 40mph unless it was wet, muddy or snowy/icy out.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So what RPM did you reach?

OP
OP
T

Tpettit

TAPPER
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Wondering if maybe something needs to be adjusted on the limiter. Dry road and I believe Rpm's around 5500.( I hear you " averageguy" ) Wasn't trying to blow up a brand new engine, just trying to get around an idiot that wouldn't let me merge. I slow down to merge..he slows down, I speed up a bit..he speeds up. Nice to have that HEMI when it's needed. Smoked that CHEVY :) Thanks for the input Gents, didn't know about the limiter....

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Wondering if maybe something needs to be adjusted on the limiter. Dry road and I believe Rpm's around 5500.( I hear you " averageguy" ) Wasn't trying to blow up a brand new engine, just trying to get around an idiot that wouldn't let me merge. I slow down to merge..he slows down, I speed up a bit..he speeds up. Nice to have that HEMI when it's needed. Smoked that CHEVY :) Thanks for the input Gents, didn't know about the limiter....

5600 rpm is where you'll hit the stock limiter,if it felt like you were shifting a 4 speed,that's also normal as that's the torque management kicking in to save the tranny on a full throttle shift

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The only confirmed motor to do this is the 5.7 in the cars, but both my 5.7 in my Ram and the 6.4 in my Car "woke up" a bit around the 4k mark. If FCA is confirmed to gimp one motor a bit during the break in it wouldn't surprise me if they do it on all the V8's since they share alot of the VVT/MDS component's.

attachment.jpg

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The only confirmed motor to do this is the 5.7 in the cars, but both my 5.7 in my Ram and the 6.4 in my Car "woke up" a bit around the 4k mark. If FCA is confirmed to gimp one motor a bit during the break in it wouldn't surprise me if they do it on all the V8's since they share alot of the VVT/MDS component's.

attachment.jpg
Easy enough to do with today's ECM software...