Cybertruck vs RAM 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Battery technology is going backwards to dry cells. The latest thing is molecular thick films to maximize surface areas.

Galvanic cells is still the technology, but all the packaging is where the details are at. Toyota is working on it for vehicles. My sons are working on it for other devices. They can't tell me too much because it's funded both by military and proprietary tech. They are designing machines to make these.

Again, this is a ways off. Lithium Ion cells were never sufficient to replace truck propulsion.

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
C'mon guys, be fair to our Florida friends. I've seen it get down to a bone-chilling 40 degrees in the Tampa area. And there are rumors it's even reached the freezing point. I don't know how they survive through those temps.
We went to Daytona for the 500 years ago(like 40 years) and at the hotel in Deland I actually had to scrape my windshield a couple mornings ;-)

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lithium Ion cells were never sufficient to replace truck propulsion.
A revolution in battery tech is needed, both to increase range and decrease charging time. In order to be practical an EV has got to get between 300 and 500 miles of range, loaded or empty, hot outside or cold, and be able to charge in 10 minutes or less.

Of course even if/when that happens it doesn't address a lack of charging infrastructure or electric generating capacity in the grid. It's just not there, and infrastructure like that takes *decades* to develop.

There are 160,000 gas stations in America. A person can drive coast to coast along major highways and never be more than 20 miles from one.

We don't have enough power plants in operation to meet *current* demand, little lone plugging in millions of EVs. Blackouts are becoming more and more common as more people and more electronics are being plugged into the grid and instead of building new power plants the govt wants to shut old ones down.

The Europeans are learning. With Russian oil and gas unavailable Germany has had to restart some shuttered coal fired power plants. Uh oh. Read an article today that European wind turbines are being pushed beyond their expected 25 year lifespan because of the conflict in Ukraine. The "green" movement is about to get a reality check, and it ain't gonna be pretty.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
A revolution in battery tech is needed, both to increase range and decrease charging time. In order to be practical an EV has got to get between 300 and 500 miles of range, loaded or empty, hot outside or cold, and be able to charge in 10 minutes or less.

Of course even if/when that happens it doesn't address a lack of charging infrastructure or electric generating capacity in the grid. It's just not there, and infrastructure like that takes *decades* to develop.

There are 160,000 gas stations in America. A person can drive coast to coast along major highways and never be more than 20 miles from one.

We don't have enough power plants in operation to meet *current* demand, little lone plugging in millions of EVs. Blackouts are becoming more and more common as more people and more electronics are being plugged into the grid and instead of building new power plants the govt wants to shut old ones down.

The Europeans are learning. With Russian oil and gas unavailable Germany has had to restart some shuttered coal fired power plants. Uh oh. Read an article today that European wind turbines are being pushed beyond their expected 25 year lifespan because of the conflict in Ukraine. The "green" movement is about to get a reality check, and it ain't gonna be pretty.

Toyota is talking about 700+ mile range with thin film dry cell - in a test cell!

They gotta figure out how to make it reliably at volume, affordable, and chargeable.

Just minor details for the little people to quickly solve, say the great men on the 50th floor of the corporations.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out that 5 foot noodly windshield wiper. The truck really is completely nuts.

View attachment 532656
Elon is a strange creature, and the people who buy his vehicles are strange too. I think Cybertruck is really him trolling Tesla fanboys. How obnoxious of a vehicle can he make and people will still line up to lay down money for one.

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't wait until everyone is forced into EVs and then a hurricane hits and everyone loses power for 3-4 days or worse the next super storm Sandy and the power is out for 3-4 weeks. These highly IQ green folks won't be able to get to their fast food drive thru and will starve