Cybertruck vs RAM 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
You do realize the Cybertruck has a battery pack that's about double the capacity of the largest pack used in the cars. So now easily double the recharge time and cut the unloaded 300 mile range it has easily in half while towing. We won't mention if the electrical system runs warm and added time is needed for cooling or changing (slower rate).
Take a 1000 mile trip towing a trailer and your looking at least 3-4 quick charges if that distance will be covered in two days.

Keep the fantasy land idea that it's cheaper to recharge a battery, once the higher demand of EV hits the electric grid, what do you think is going to happen to the recharge cost. Not to mention once the incentives and subsidies go away vehicle quick charges will add to the cost of quick charging. (
most of us charge at home and don't use quick chargers anywhere near as much as you seem to think.and the vehicle WARMS the battery before we get to a quick charge in order to speed up the charge.that's what conditionng it means.and heavens,it's unreal that we have to do a couple extra charges when most of you take that ONE trip a year.hunters excluded,of course.the last quick charge we did was 2 days ago and we were the only ones at a 14 bank charge station for the entire time.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Man y'all just hate attempts at progress don't you? Best time to push forward with alternative energy was 30 years ago, second best time is now.

I think electric commuter cars can make a ton of sense for those who can charge at home/work. What I'm against is "forced progress" where we have no choice in the future to purchase anything other than EV when its clear the use case for this makes peoples lives worse. That's walking backwards, not forwards.

I love choice, but EV's are no longer about choice for those for whom it works, its about chicken little and the big bad wolf (if you'll excuse my metaphors).

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Wow that’s really amazing a charger that is not in use in town. Let’s see you pour 10 gallons of electricity into it on the side of a mountain.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I think they might be a good choice for someone that stays fairly close to home. Taking one on a road trip would be a nightmare, especially if you are towing. Stopping every 90-120 minutes for a 45 minute charge would get pretty frustrating. That takes your 10 hour drive to more like 15 hours. And when your battery gets low better turn off your AC and any other extras.
But if my wife wanted one to drive to work I would consider one, just wouldn't take it on a long trip.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Around town delivering probably be okay. Camping overlanding probably won’t work. Lower 48 where it doesn’t get cold a/f in the winter. How long does it take to charge at-30c

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
Wow that’s really amazing a charger that is not in use in town. Let’s see you pour 10 gallons of electricity into it on the side of a mountain.
lol,if you run out on a mountain you're a complete idiot.your car will tell you how far you can go as soon as you input a destination or not.it will tell you where the chargers are and how much charge you'll have left when you get to the nearest one and it is incredibly accurate. in all seriousness,i couldn't care less if an ev isn't in anyones future,but i will refute false info every time.if you're going to hate on them at least know the facts.and lets be clear.a cybertruck was never intended to suppland a heavy duty truck.no 5vers,but it will tow any smallish travel trailer,orv,snowmobile or utility.trailer, easily. our model y will tow 3500 lbs.i've trailered my sxs with it.

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, the truck has a 6' 4" bed and in dual and tru motor configuration ($80k and $100k) supposedly can tow 11k pounds, the single motor 7500 pounds. And all can carry 2500 pounds. The range extending battery is kind of pointless as it would probably weigh around 1200 pounds and take up 1/3 of the bed. All the ranges I have seen are unloaded.

What does it all mean? Somebody will buy it, most won't. Just think it is wrong vehicle at the wrong time. Too much new all at once such as the desire to get rid of rear view mirrors and a small rear window buried under the rear of the roof and behind long side panels. To me, looks like a bunch of bad design decisions that will add up.

Meh...

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
lol,if you run out on a mountain you're a complete idiot.your car will tell you how far you can go as soon as you input a destination or not.it will tell you where the chargers are and how much charge you'll have left when you get to the nearest one and it is incredibly accurate. in all seriousness,i couldn't care less if an ev isn't in anyones future,but i will refute false info every time.if you're going to hate on them at least know the facts.and lets be clear.a cybertruck was never intended to suppland a heavy duty truck.no 5vers,but it will tow any smallish travel trailer,orv,snowmobile or utility.trailer, easily. our model y will tow 3500 lbs.i've trailered my sxs with it.
The specs are intentionally in the 2500 area. So it is being marketed as such especially with the stated "tow" capacity. If it was to be a lighter duty it would would have not had a 2500 pound payload. And a 5th wheel hitch is in development.

And first hand experience many times over, it is ALWAYS a crap shoot that a charger is available, working, not buried in a parking garage, and not 8 miles off the highway. Not a hater, just stating facts. Until chargers are as ubiquitous as gas pumps, and always as convenient, adoption will be slow.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I don’t hate Eva but they aren’t going to be very good in the winter in Alberta. As for running out of gas feces occurs especially when you don’t expect it. My pw broke down in the middle of nowhere because I was splashing through puddles. The trailer wiring shorted out and it killed the battery overnight. Lucky I had my little generator and battery charger with me. If tat happens to a ct you are walking home

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The 6.4 Hemi still won't be able to pass a gas station but it sure will beat the Cybertruck on "refueling" time... LOL
For the time the Cybertruck battery pack will last, it will probably tow circles around the Hemi and be about on par with the Cummins. Where the Cybertruck will suffer is towing range along with the added recharge time.
Interesting how the industry has come full circle right back to where it started, with hybrids.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
most of us charge at home and don't use quick chargers anywhere near as much as you seem to think.and the vehicle WARMS the battery before we get to a quick charge in order to speed up the charge.
Where do you think the energy comes from that is used to condition the batteries. That energy has to be replaced adding to the recharge time.

With the coming of vehicles like the CT and more capability comes with it larger batteries that cancel the ability to do a significant recharge at home. My son has a Bolt and he can get a charge in it overnight to get him to work and back. When you start getting into 200 kilowatt hour and larger batteries, you start getting into home charging times exceeding 18 hours if you have a 50 amp 220 volt charger. That is a dream of many home owners with older infrastructure who are lucky to get a 30 amp 220 volt charger.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You should read this article .It disagrees with alot of what you're claiming,especially about the vehicle giving you a realistic range as soon as you input a destination.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
Where do you think the energy comes from that is used to condition the batteries. That energy has to be replaced adding to the recharge time.

With the coming of vehicles like the CT and more capability comes with it larger batteries that cancel the ability to do a significant recharge at home. My son has a Bolt and he can get a charge in it overnight to get him to work and back. When you start getting into 200 kilowatt hour and larger batteries, you start getting into home charging times exceeding 18 hours if you have a 50 amp 220 volt charger. That is a dream of many home owners with older infrastructure who are lucky to get a 30 amp 220 volt charger.
we're in the process of building our new garage.we added 3 tesla chargers and the electricians went over the specs and we didn't need to up our amperage for the system.we expect our CT in the next 2 years.we also found out that we will be able to plug our CT into the generator panel and power our house for approximately 2 days with the fully charged CT. any of you guys follow the rv forums? over on irv2 there's a couple that have been travelling extensively with their Tesla model y and a travel trailer.tell them it can't be done.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
You should read this article .It disagrees with alot of what you're claiming,especially about the vehicle giving you a realistic range as soon as you input a destination.

well.i drive an ev,so i know what i'm talking about.i also live in B.C. i know about travelling through mountain ranges.we have 4 of them crossing the province.real world experience,not internet articles.granted,there are exceptions,that being the lightning is inferior to the CT in all aspects.check the specs.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
well.i drive an ev,so i know what i'm talking about.i also live in B.C. i know about travelling through mountain ranges.we have 4 of them crossing the province.real world experience,not internet articles.granted,there are exceptions.
Sounds like that article hit a nerve,lol. You haven't towed through the mountains either have you ;)
The journalists in that article are well respected journalists and i think the majority of guys on here are a wee bit more inclined to believe their expertise in this capacity,then your expertise or lack of expertise when it comes to towing with an ev truck.
Weren't you the guy just asking if any of us followed the internet rv forums,now you're saying you don't believe in the internet,lol

"any of you guys follow the rv forums? "

If you didn't clic on the video in the article here's the youtube link to it,and it's the guys from Fastlane doing the testing,and they have a pretty decent rep as far as doing an honest test