Damn Pennz Ultra Plat. 0w-40 - Not to be found

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
SO i need to buy another case or two of the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-40 and there is pretty much none avail in Socal in a brick and mortar store. I know Amazon has it avail at a pretty good discount but i need to get some before next weekend. Amazon has the earliest ship date of 12/14. No national chain store stock it that i know of.

Where are you guys buying your 0w-40? that is around $10 or less per quart? Lots of eBay stores have it at $17+/quart. CRAZY!!!

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I cleared out three or four of the Autozones here... After that I plan to order from Amazon. I guess I'll have to keep a change worth on hand if it gets difficult huh?

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
My truck will be for sale soon...I have 36 qts of the Pennzoil oil and 4 Bosch oil filters #3334...Complete pkg deal only...$4.00 per qt...$18.00 for the 4 filters...Plus shipping to your zip code from Wisconsin...

[email protected]

Jrp267

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just use Mobil 1 0w40. Problem solved.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
SO i need to buy another case or two of the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-40 and there is pretty much none avail in Socal in a brick and mortar store. I know Amazon has it avail at a pretty good discount but i need to get some before next weekend. Amazon has the earliest ship date of 12/14. No national chain store stock it that i know of.

Where are you guys buying your 0w-40? that is around $10 or less per quart? Lots of eBay stores have it at $17+/quart. CRAZY!!!

Someone has a post on here of a video with some Chrysler Reps. stating that you DO NOT have to use 0W-40W. I will see if I can find it.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Someone has a post on here of a video with some Chrysler Reps. stating that you DO NOT have to use 0W-40W. I will see if I can find it.
Once again though, if the shtf, is Chrysler going to accept the video as proof you don't need to run the oil or are they going tell you to pound sand you owe us $10000 for a motor?

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can they order? My first oils change I couldn't find any for 100 miles around and had to use Amsoil. After that a friend who is a oil salesman said he could order it for me and keeps 2 cases on hand for when I need it.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Autozone currently has it on clearance. Also, my local Pepboy's carries it usually and if not, can have it in 2-3 days.

Push comes to shove, there is always the dealership.

Jrp267

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you read the manual, in the back by fluid capacities, it says a synthetic oil sn rated is recommended. It also says ultra platinum is recommended in the next paragraph.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you read the manual, in the back by fluid capacities, it says a synthetic oil sn rated is recommended. It also says ultra platinum is recommended in the next paragraph.
It also gives the standard that the oil must meet if you want your warranty maintained which I believe is about 2 oils now, amzoil and penzoil.

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
My truck will be for sale soon...I have 36 qts of the Pennzoil oil and 4 Bosch oil filters #3334...Complete pkg deal only...$4.00 per qt...$18.00 for the 4 filters...Plus shipping to your zip code from Wisconsin...

[email protected]

Not sure if it is possible to get it here by Friday though. Im in Socal. Are you able to accept credit card some how? Would rather give my business to a member here than a store.

BTW, why are you selling your truck?

For the others, I checked Vatozone several weeks ago when another member posted the clearance deals and none around had the stock.

I am going to stick with the Pennzoil recommendation from the factory. I bought the Max Care warranty and want absolutely no ammunition to give the dealer if i have an engine issue come up to not cover the repairs.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pennzoil ultra in any weight is hard to find in a store in ga, I looked for a week then went with PP, Pennzoil should spend as much money on getting the products to stores as does on commercials of cars doing donuts on rooftops.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Not sure if it is possible to get it here by Friday though. Im in Socal. Are you able to accept credit card some how? Would rather give my business to a member here than a store.

BTW, why are you selling your truck?

For the others, I checked Vatozone several weeks ago when another member posted the clearance deals and none around had the stock.

I am going to stick with the Pennzoil recommendation from the factory. I bought the Max Care warranty and want absolutely no ammunition to give the dealer if i have an engine issue come up to not cover the repairs.

PM sent

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The video is priceless. This just goes to show you two guys I with company logos can say stuff in a interview with no knowledge of what they are talking about. Fill cap says 0/40--Manuel says 0/40--- dealer says 0/40--- 0/40 it is. If I had mds turned off and never planned to ever again turn it on, I would prolly switch to a different oil. But that's my opinion.

Pep boys/oriley"s has it-

Hell go to mammoth and go ride for the weekend there is a oriley"s on the way and they have it. ;)

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
he's the guy... u don't have a Manuel? we have 1 ;) I gave up on auto correct a long time ago lol

Jrp267

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It also gives the standard that the oil must meet if you want your warranty maintained which I believe is about 2 oils now, amzoil and penzoil.

Not true. Nowhere does it say you must use that oil to maintain warranty. It says it is recommended. If it was required they would have to supply it for free. Magnuson moss act. In the rear of the manual it says a synthetic oil SN rated. And that pure platinum is recommended it does not say it must meet Chrysler spec. Big difference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 59

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ he's got a point.. And after 10 minutes of arguing with the service writer .. That service writer who has been dealing with stupid people all day has had enough and just told the tech working on your truck to find him something so he can say your warranty has been voided and they are black listing your vin nation wide so no warranty claims can be made on your vin in the future. So unless you are in good with your dealer, I would use what they say when they say. This is like a dealer lifting and warranting the lift on the truck. It's more common now but usually the dealer that did the work and says it"s warrantied, it's usually only warrantied at their dealerships. At the corporate lvl they love denying warranty work.. Usually it's the dealer who finds a back door/loop hole or fudges the numbers for the customer to get something covered under warranty. So unless you are in good with that dealer or your dealer I wouldn't risk it.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Not true. Nowhere does it say you must use that oil to maintain warranty. It says it is recommended. If it was required they would have to supply it for free. Magnuson moss act. In the rear of the manual it says a synthetic oil SN rated. And that pure platinum is recommended it does not say it must meet Chrysler spec. Big difference.

That's nice, but in the real world where most of us cannot afford a lawyer to fight the legalese between "recommended" and "required", the best course of action is to stick with the "recommended" MS-12633 spec oil to remove any push back in case of warranty claim for not using the "recommended" oil.

Also, the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is not the White Knight that will save anybody as the Federal Trade Commission regulates that. It just serves as a basis for you to sue against but you are still incurring cost to bring litigation and referencing the MMWA. The Feds are not going to step in on your behalf at a personal level and make it all right if you used a non "recommended" oil.

People can do what they want and use what they want when it comes to oil. The question people have to ask themselves is if they can accept the liability of if going outside "recommendations" and any possible push back in case of warranty claim? Right or wrong, FCA has the money to grind this down to their favor, so it is not prudent to go outside the "recommendation" regardless of what the legalese says.