Damn Pennz Ultra Plat. 0w-40 - Not to be found

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrp267

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh Christ, I am scared they may deny my warranty. Get over it. The mobile 1 European car formula met their specs until they got in a ******* match. It's oil not magic elixir. And I am not rich but I can afford a lawyer if needed. And a replacement long block. The **** they recommend isn't available any dam place. And half the dealers are using mobile 1. This is just like Harley Davidson and their syn3. Nothing special but "the only oil recommended by the manufacturer to maintain proper performance of your vehicle". Just keep giving them your money. Hell rotella t6 would probably be just fine except for the EPA. Oh and FCA and money to bring people down doesn't really go hand in hand these days. There is a reason they are looking for merger partners. Millions and millions in recalls and all.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Oh Christ, I am scared they may deny my warranty. Get over it. The mobile 1 European car formula met their specs until they got in a ******* match. It's oil not magic elixir. And I am not rich but I can afford a lawyer if needed. And a replacement long block. The **** they recommend isn't available any dam place. And half the dealers are using mobile 1. This is just like Harley Davidson and their syn3. Nothing special but "the only oil recommended by the manufacturer to maintain proper performance of your vehicle". Just keep giving them your money. Hell rotella t6 would probably be just fine except for the EPA. Oh and FCA and money to bring people down doesn't really go hand in hand these days. There is a reason they are looking for merger partners. Millions and millions in recalls and all.

Like I said, do what you want as you have decided to assume more risk.

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
You think these 'mechanics' for lack of a better word at the stealerships or even an oil analysis if the manufacturer calls for one can identify oil weights after a motor bites the dust? Y'all are giving them way too much credit. Unless the motor dies within 500miles of the oil change its gonna have enough heat cycles on it that even an analysis will read incorrectly due to all the junk in it.
To the op, granted I run the 0-40 in mine but only because I got it for the $2qt after rebate and I cleaned out 3 auto zones and have enough for 7 oil changes. However, when I run out, and the pennzoil isn't convenient, there's way better oils out there. Most companies just don't wanna pay for the spec.
And no they can't deny warranty due to oil use. Like it was brought up, no matter who regulates it, the mag moss act won't allow a monopoly on parts for individual vehicles or they'd have to supply it.
Think about it this way... They recommend a semimetallic brake pad. If you replace your pads with an organic pad and your brake line fails 2 weeks down the road, they can't blame the brake pad.
They can't tell you what to use, only recommend....

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I kinda get what you're saying (about brands) but the spec needed is the piece to be concerned about. They can and will deny warranty if the MS-12whatever spec isn't met and I would bet they can find out.

I guess the way I look at it is: I build a product for you and give you the specifications of the materials you need to maintain in order for that product to function correctly for its intended use and lifespan and you blatently ignore both my requirements AND recommendations but still expect me to fix it for free because of some paper tiger legislation? Pretty sure that's not how it works. Amsoil now meets these specs. Others will follow. But by your argument I should be able to feed my truck 5w20 and expect to be fully covered. Pretty sure I'd be up **** creek without a paddle.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Update: I found some locally at the Pepboys. Their online stock said they had none but went to breakfast yesterday and decided to do in to get a visual and they had 9 quarts at about $9.79 per.

As i stated earlier and some of you agree, i will not use anything else in my 6.4 other than the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-40 unless or until i have in writing i can use the Mobil or Amsoil or *** 0w-40 in my motor.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have any of you 6.4 guys had blue smoke on startup, I was reading a topic somewhere that many people were getting it and the dealers were told to tell them 0-40 was too thin and was seeping around the valve seals, they said move to a 5 weight over the 0

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I kinda get what you're saying (about brands) but the spec needed is the piece to be concerned about. They can and will deny warranty if the MS-12whatever spec isn't met and I would bet they can find out.

I guess the way I look at it is: I build a product for you and give you the specifications of the materials you need to maintain in order for that product to function correctly for its intended use and lifespan and you blatently ignore both my requirements AND recommendations but still expect me to fix it for free because of some paper tiger legislation? Pretty sure that's not how it works. Amsoil now meets these specs. Others will follow. But by your argument I should be able to feed my truck 5w20 and expect to be fully covered. Pretty sure I'd be up **** creek without a paddle.

My observation is that most do not have a problem with the MS-12633 spec. The problem is that it is a $9-$12 a quart oil at full retail pricing and only three brand offerings are out there that meet it.

If it was normal $3 or so a quart oil with the same availability like a API SN 5W-30, then the ******** would be a lot less.

The simple fact is people have two choices, either cowboy up and pay the price of admission for the correct spec and weight, or go rogue with something else and play Russian Roulette to see if the dealer will cover or push back on a warranty repair if the oil is suspect as a cause. Given that FCA seems to be way more prone to look for things to get out of warranty work, saving a few bucks on an oil change may not be money well spent when things could have been avoided using the "recommend" product to begin with.

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have any of you 6.4 guys had blue smoke on startup, I was reading a topic somewhere that many people were getting it and the dealers were told to tell them 0-40 was too thin and was seeping around the valve seals, they said move to a 5 weight over the 0

If only I could get that in writing from a dealer- I see both extremes + 125* in the summer and -15* in the winter and I get no blue smoke.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
There's a third now?

MOPAR

Pennzoil

Amsoil

To be fair, my understanding is the MOPAR 0W-40 is just repackaged Pennzoil 0W-40. Still is three different brands and purchasing options

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I'm

I wasn't saying go out and use some way off base oil weight by any means. But if it's close (and by close I mean like a 5w40) it'll work, and no they won't be able to tell. Most oils meet all these rediculous specs, but it's the companies that are willing to PAY for their bottle to say so. It's another money grab by the OEM's. My 2015 chevy single cab ranch truck takes 8.5qts of some stupid half synthetic oil that's expensive just like this stuff, but it's an easier more normal weight to find. My camaro is the same stuff too.

Look at it like this... What if no oil manufacturer said they'd pay for the spec? Then molar would have to remove it or supply your oil. That's their choices. The bigger oil companies can afford to do it and then claim a mini-monopoly on the market, which covers their cost of paying for the spec.
I would not hesitate to run a royal purple 5w40 in the truck. But I got looooottttttssss of oil way cheap. Lol

mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I just bought 23 qts at Autozone for $4/qt.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm

I wasn't saying go out and use some way off base oil weight by any means. But if it's close (and by close I mean like a 5w40) it'll work, and no they won't be able to tell. Most oils meet all these rediculous specs, but it's the companies that are willing to PAY for their bottle to say so. It's another money grab by the OEM's. My 2015 chevy single cab ranch truck takes 8.5qts of some stupid half synthetic oil that's expensive just like this stuff, but it's an easier more normal weight to find. My camaro is the same stuff too.

Look at it like this... What if no oil manufacturer said they'd pay for the spec? Then molar would have to remove it or supply your oil. That's their choices. The bigger oil companies can afford to do it and then claim a mini-monopoly on the market, which covers their cost of paying for the spec.
I would not hesitate to run a royal purple 5w40 in the truck. But I got looooottttttssss of oil way cheap. Lol
Ok, that makes more sense now :)

It's odd that more manufacturers have not jumped on this spec. I wonder if it's being ransomed?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Ok, that makes more sense now :)

It's odd that more manufacturers have not jumped on this spec. I wonder if it's being ransomed?

The "spec" is not being ransomed nor is there a licensing fee. Unlike GM with their DEXOS spec that is also a licensing fee attached to each quart sold, the FCA MS-12633 is more of a certification process that is the specification when met. Only costs for an oil company are the out of pocket for testing and certification process.

Basically, any oil company can step up and submit testing to FCA to show they are meeting the MS-12633 spec and FCA can either bless it or not.

With that being said, the MS-12633 seems to only apply to the RAM and SRT cars with the 6.4. How big is that market and how many oil companies want to submit and certify their oil meets it?

Obviously RAM did their durability testing with plain 5W-30 for the RAM 6.4, but for some reason that only breeds speculation, they decided to align it with the SRT engine MS-12633 spec.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I called my local O'Reilly today and was told they can't get PUP 0W40, yet the O'Reilly web site says "usually available in 24 hrs". I will have to stop by and quiz them in person.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Walmart says they carry pup but you will never find it in a store in ga.

Boudreaux

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 2500 4x4
Engine
I noticed everyone is making a big deal about using the pennsoil because it is recommended by the manufacturer, how many of you are using the mopar oil filter as recomended by Ram?

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Its not just because ram prefers Pennzoil, if you do the research or read some of the topics on syn oil, the Pennzoil is one of the highest rated syn oils available. As for the mopar filter, there are better ones, the mobil 1, royal purple and the fram ultra are rated the best.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
I just bought 23 qts at Autozone for $4/qt.

Was in my local Autozone today...Happened to see that they have now eliminated the mail in rebate, and are selling it off the shelf for $2.00 qt cash n carry...