Damn Pennz Ultra Plat. 0w-40 - Not to be found

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Ok, so a question. I am under the assumption that the 0w40 is available in ether Penzoil Pure Plus and also, Penzoil Platinum. Am I correct in this, and if so how many of you are using the Pure Plus that they claim is made from natural gas? Thinking I would prefer the Platinum if available.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Ok, so a question. I am under the assumption that the 0w40 is available in ether Penzoil Pure Plus and also, Penzoil Platinum. Am I correct in this, and if so how many of you are using the Pure Plus that they claim is made from natural gas? Thinking I would prefer the Platinum if available.

It is confusing but current Pennzoil 0W-40 that meets the MS-12633 spec is only offered in the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum line. The other 0W-40 in Pennzoil Platinum line is a "Euro Spec" oil that does not meet the MS-12633 spec.

As to the GTL (natural gas to liquid) formulation, both the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and the Pennzoil Platinum lines across all weights are going this route. Any non GTL formulations of Ultra or Platinum will be old stock. So basically you will be forced into the GTL product unless you find old stock formulations still on the shelves.

As to using the current GTL, it seems to be doing fine with good results. I am running my first oil change on a GTL 0W-40 and with no complaints I can contribute to it.

Last edited: