Dash core repair.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an innovative idea on how to install/attach my dash without removing it from the truck- too fragile. I’ll be posting here as that progresses.

I'm curious how you did that. I've always felt that it wasn't necessary to remove the dash. It just makes it easier. I know the screws are at a tough angle, but I never thought it was impossible.

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
I'm curious how you did that. I've always felt that it wasn't necessary to remove the dash. It just makes it easier. I know the screws are at a tough angle, but I never thought it was impossible.

Oh I think it is impossible to install it conventionally without almost completely taking the dash core out of the truck. Maybe can be done by just tipping it down to get the windshield defrost vent attachments- but there is another row of screws from underneath along the front edge on the passenger side.
I have not permanently installed mine yet but my plan is to drill through the mounting holes and screw into some kind of nut (still to be determined) from the top. Then use some rubber plugs to make the whole thing look somewhat tidy.
I’m on hold now as my truck is in to have the rear bearing replaced.
It’s a radical plan but I will try to document my adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mop

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
Mop- Is your Avatar a shuttle launch? Are you in the aerospace industry? I ask because I work for Northrop Grumman - formerly Orbital Sciences... so it caught my eye!

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
My dash (2001 Off-Road 1500) is also broken in many pieces and gets worse everytime I mess with it. Or rather, it was. I read somewhere that it was made of ABS plastic. Having an old can of ABS glue, I tried putting a heavy layer of it on and over the cracks. I set broken-out pieces in place with duct tape underneath to position them first. My bezel was also breaking in several places and the ABS glue worked well there too. It isn't pretty and I will be buying a new dash and bezel as soon as I replace the heater core---I know my dash will break in a new place(s) when I pull it out, right? I live in the California sun so the old dash has baked for years. I do have a carpet cover on it so it's kinda OK but I will put that on over the new dash too, just a little added protection. Hope this helps someone.

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
but there is another row of screws from underneath along the front edge on the passenger side.
I have not permanently installed mine yet but my plan is to drill through the mounting holes and screw into some kind of nut (still to be determined) from the top. Then use some rubber plugs to make the whole thing look somewhat tidy.

Ah, I see. There are hidden extras. I think it's a good idea to "override" the factory setup, and make it easier to install. And if you ever need to do it again (ouch), it will be easier.

Mop- Is your Avatar a shuttle launch? Are you in the aerospace industry? I ask because I work for Northrop Grumman - formerly Orbital Sciences... so it caught my eye!

Yes, it's a launch :) I'm not in Aerospace, but I used to go to Canaveral and Patrick AFB for my old job, when I lived in FL. My uncle was also a higher-up there. Working at NG must be great! I'd love that! :)

Jhawker23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone put one of the molded dash overlays on a broken top dash? I thought it would be easy enough to find an actual replacement, not a cap, but not so far. I can find the instrument panel bezel.

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
Has anyone put one of the molded dash overlays on a broken top dash? I thought it would be easy enough to find an actual replacement, not a cap, but not so far. I can find the instrument panel bezel.

LMC truck is the only place I know of where you can get a new actual dash. I got one of those and I’m in the ( slow...cuz of time) process of installing it. You might find a used one out there but it would probably be somewhat brittle, too.

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
This is a pic of my new dash - just popped in for fit check. The ‘97 version comes only in light gray so I’ll have to paint it to match.

35611f95ba1404125e76a451e12a46d7.jpg