Dash Information Center and Map Light Bracket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shedkept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had my bezel out to work on the map light. Looked at all the options and decided that the simplest easy repair involved some mending plates from Lowes and speed nuts. Easy fab and now the thing is back where it belongs. It's not sexy at all but you get the gist. If I had done two bends, one at each end I could have sunk it into the dash. The fact is, until I find a repair that doesn't require drilling this works fine. Otherwise put it back where I found it 2 weeks ago! LOL
The mock up used speed nuts on both ends. The actual setup utilizes the screw that goes though the bezel into the dash and other end utilizes a speed nut.

NOW; while I was there I noticed the posts on the Dash Information Center were cracking (After only 31 years!)
Since they are captive and quite brittle by now leaving well enough alone would be my advice. OTOH where's the fun in that? I "scabbed" them with 3/8 PVC cut in such a way that it snaps into place. Use PVC cleaner and cement. They aren't going to fall apart anytime soon. If you use a quick setting adhesive be aggressive in the install. No second chances on this operation.

PS: If someone has one of the "TSB map light brackets" for sale I'd be more than pleased to pay you for it. I can live what I have because it's pretty obvious the hadn't been seen in years. I'd have never found it save for the fact I was removing a switch from the headlight control box that couldn't be traced. Likely for light in the "now removed" topper. That was some "special" wiring there.

Attachments

• Post Repairs 1.jpg
    Post Repairs 1.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Post Repairs 2.jpg
    Post Repairs 2.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Post Repair 4.jpg
    Post Repair 4.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Post Repair.jpg
    Post Repair.jpg