Dash Speaker Resistance Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Recently bought new speakers to upgrade my stock ones. I bought the Mopar mid bass speakers 77KICK 41, to replace the stock door speakers but it seems they shipped me the wrong kit. I received the 77KICK42 package along with 3 - 3.5" speakers. I recently upgraded the dash to other Kickers and have plans to put in the 4 ohm resistor as it is necessary to keep from those drowning out the other speakers.

The question, are these 3.5" speakers that came with the kit 4 ohm and need the resistor as well; or are they 8 ohm and I could swap them out for the other kickers I installed and not have to worry about such things. I don't have a multimeter to check the resistance of them, already thought of that but mine is broken.

I don't have the alpine upgrade either just basic RA3 8.4" 6 speaker system.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Pretty sure they are 4 ohm from what I remember

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I thought all the Alpine system speakers were 2 oHm?

-K

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought all the Alpine system speakers were 2 oHm?

-K
They are. I verified it with a multimeter before I swapped them out. They all came in between 2.1-2.3 ohm

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a non Alpine 6-speaker system. I replaced the door speakers with 4-ohm Pioneers. I replaced the dash with Kicker 3 1/2" 4 ohm. I assumed the dash were 4 ohm also. They were 8. Over powered the others. I measured the Kickers- 3.4 ohm. I bought 3 ohm, 25 watt resistors. Toned them down. If I had to do it again, I would have purchased 4 ohm resistors. Nick

OP
OP
PCA4208

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup. Put in 4ohm resistors as well as 600hz bass blockers into the dash and they sound great. Didn’t end up using the molar Kickers but the CS series kickers that I had previously bought. The mopar doors did add some bass but I need more lol. Looking into a small subwoofer and amp for the speakers. I want to keep the stock wiring if I can, honestly don’t want to re wire a whole truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
sorry late to the party...yes, they are 4 ohm, which you've found out by now <doh>

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yup. Put in 4ohm resistors as well as 600hz bass blockers into the dash and they sound great. Didn’t end up using the molar Kickers but the CS series kickers that I had previously bought. The mopar doors did add some bass but I need more lol. Looking into a small subwoofer and amp for the speakers. I want to keep the stock wiring if I can, honestly don’t want to re wire a whole truck.

So you put bass blockers and 4 ohm resistors inline on the 3.5 dash speakers? I'm getting ready to swap out a AX-DSP and put in a RF DSR1, and would like to tone down the front - they've always been too bright. Running Alpine r2 6x9's in the Front Doors and Kicker KS35's in the dash.

Prior to amping, I had blockers on the dash but they weren't rated high enough once I added JL Audio amps... Need to find some better ones and put them back in.

So the 4ohm resistor does what to the load for the front door/dash combo? IIUC 4ohm door + 4ohm dash equals 2ohm load. My amp will handle that, but it overpowers the rear doors running at 4ohm load, and is very bright up front as already mentioned.

OP
OP
PCA4208

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The resistor basically is taking the load for the stock wiring and HU back to stock as the stock dash speaker is 8 ohm. I know I lose power in the resistor but honestly if I end up adding an amp I'll most likely rewire at least the dash speakers to have their own leads. I made the resistor and bass blocker one unit that is removable and didn't mess with any of the stock wiring. The resistor I could find was 20w so I figure its a total waste to keep it in there if putting in an amp.

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bass Blockers, that's some funny stuff. Old people call them caps.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.

I did the kicker upgrade about a year ago and did the resistors in the front dash speakers. First time I’m hearing about these bass blockers. What is that and what does it do? Thanks!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Bass Blockers, that's some funny stuff. Old people call them caps.
It's a marketing thing..
A couple of caps from the electronics store is a about a $1, a set of bass blocker $10

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
some speakers have them built in.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That's one of the things that bothers me about the Ram, the way they wired the front speakers. If I roll off bass with EQ/DSP then it rolls off the front door spears too :(.

That plus the odd 8 ohm dash / 4 ohm door setup. My Kicker dash speakers have survived running full range of the RD400 so far, but since they are running at 2ohm since door/dash are wired in parallel, they are really bright.

Since there aren't really any quality mobile audio 8 ohm dash speakers, I guess the real fix is to change the wiring and putting them on there own channel(s), or switching to some sort of 2pc. component setup. Or keep fading a bit to the rear :).

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Bi-amp them to me is best, then you have control.
I used our KEY amp, then I can always add a bigger 4 channel amp, keep DSP and time alignment and use KEY as pre-amp.