Dash top removal 08 SXT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tucansam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 SXT
Engine
4.7L
I see those grill cutouts for the corner and center speakers..... and I want to see if there is mounting hardware underneath. I thought I would have to pull the entire dash, however, upon further inspection, it seems that the "dashtop" as its referred to on parts sites, comes off.

Its an 08 with 220k that has been in the AZ sun since Day 1 of its life. I'm afraid to destroy plastic clips and/or crack the dash top itself when I try to pry it off, and the replacement is $299!!!!!

Any tips or videos on how to remove the dashtop specifically of this (or similar) years?

Thanks.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Panel removal tool, get a wide one. Pry lightly, move the tool to where a clip is and pry all the way. Its pretty easy.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
dodgerammaincapo.jpeg

dodgeramdefrosterb.png

06-08 Dodge Ram all series

06-09 Dodge Ram 2500/3500

https://www.dashcover.com/ramcaporder.html

bottom of the page

Last edited:

Jedi9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What makes the 06 defroster vent dash top different from the 2005? Dorman makes a nice replacement, not a cover, for $113 free shipping via Amazon for the 2002-2005. It looks the same as my 08, If the difference is insignificant I would be all over it. Just lifted my dash top to install a mic and the dash pretty much shattered, nothing much left to attach a cover to.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Color codes are different. The 06-08 dash itself is shaped very different but if memory serves the defrost panel is the same, just made in different colors.

Jedi9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to buy one and report back. The Dorman panel is actually cheaper than just the covers for the 2008

Jedi9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dash top came in yesterday and I got it installed. The top is exactly the same on top and the mounting clips at the windshield are correct but the rear mounting clips are oriented 90 degrees. I got out a drill and cross slotted the mounting holes where the dash fits, cut off 2 offending plastic studs that were in the way, and violla, new dash top $113 American. My dash is grey and the new one is slate grey and the grain is different but I'm very happy with it. Total install probably 30-40 minutes.

DailyRAM driver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dash top came in yesterday and I got it installed. The top is exactly the same on top and the mounting clips at the windshield are correct but the rear mounting clips are oriented 90 degrees. I got out a drill and cross slotted the mounting holes where the dash fits, cut off 2 offending plastic studs that were in the way, and violla, new dash top $113 American. My dash is grey and the new one is slate grey and the grain is different but I'm very happy with it. Total install probably 30-40 minutes.
Hey man, I am in SC. Are you in Lexington by chance? I need to order this cover too being I had to take mine off to replace speakers. Can you send me a picture of what yours looks like? I have heard different things about the Dorman covers.