Dashboard cycles through warnings and truck loses driving ability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthernJMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 gas
Hi Guys.

I have a strange problem with my truck. the dashboard starts cycling through multiple warnings, controls stop working, transmission stays in one gear, power steering stops, guages stop working, screen will turn off and on and if I stop truck won't go into reverse and windshield wipers will just turn. If I turn off the engine, it will not restart until I unhook the battery for 10 to 15 minutes. the truck is a 2014 outdoorsman with v6 gas engine and 150,000 miles.

The dash cluster will start showing:

1.oil pressure low, traction control out of service,
2. service shifter
2. service 4WD
4. service air bags
5. service electronic throttle control
6. service transmission continue in drive do not shift or turn engine off

For the last couple months, the Serive 4WD light started coming on and off. Then, the above started a few weeks ago. A dealership looked at it yesterday while it was malfunctioning but said they system is not showing any error codes. They had not seen this issue before. They are going to ask around but I thought I would check here as well and see if anyone has had this happen to them. Another garage said it was possessed.

The attached photo is while I was driving.

Thanks for any thoughts.

John

Attachments

• IMG_2318.jpeg
    IMG_2318.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2382.png
    IMG_2382.png
    412.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2383.png
    IMG_2383.png
    423.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
welcome.gif to Ram Forum, NorthernJMF

Did all these new features arrive at the same time and how long has this been happening?

Has there been any type of repairs or work recently completed?

What is the age and condition of the battery and when were the battery posts and clamps last cleaned?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Check your main power & ground connections from the battery to the vehicle.

Inspect your battery connections. Look for dirt, corrosion, and make sure they are properly tight.

Check your main harness to PCM connection. Look for dirt, corrosion, water and bent pins.

Test the alternator output voltage.

Lastly, get your battery load tested.

OP
OP
N

NorthernJMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 gas
View attachment 521180 to Ram Forum, NorthernJMF

Did all these new features arrive at the same time and how long has this been happening?

Has there been any type of repairs or work recently completed?

What is the age and condition of the battery and when were the battery posts and clamps last cleaned?

OP
OP
N

NorthernJMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 gas
Thanks for the response.

It started with the service 4wd message then went to everything going off a couple weeks ago.

There have not been any recent repairs.

The battery is a couple years old . I haven’t tested it but it didn’t seem low. The posts are clean with no rust. When it won’t start, it does nothing when the key is turned. After 10-15 minutes disconnected, it starts with no delay.

OP
OP
N

NorthernJMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 gas
Check your main power & ground connections from the battery to the vehicle.

Inspect your battery connections. Look for dirt, corrosion, and make sure they are properly tight.

Check your main harness to PCM connection. Look for dirt, corrosion, water and bent pins.

Test the alternator output voltage.

Lastly, get your battery load tested.

Thanks.

I don’t have the equipment to test but have a friend who can.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the response.

It started with the service 4wd message then went to everything going off a couple weeks ago.

There have not been any recent repairs.

The battery is a couple years old . I haven’t tested it but it didn’t seem low. The posts are clean with no rust. When it won’t start, it does nothing when the key is turned. After 10-15 minutes disconnected, it starts with no delay.

Try to remember, our trucks are rolling computers and this myriad of warnings is pointing towards something they all have in common, the battery and/or associated ground connections.

If you can borrow a multi-meter, you can quickly check the battery and alternator.
Measure the battery after sitting overnight or whatever period works.
After sitting it should measure 12.5 to 12.8 VDC.

Find an assistant to measure the voltage at fast idle, 1500 to 1800 RPM.
Fast idle voltage should be 14.5 to 14.8 VDC.

Otherwise, many auto parts stores will load-test your battery for free.

A toaster-style load tester is the best, AFAIC, they never fail to test correctly unlike a digital type of tester.

battery load tester.jpg

I like to clean the battery posts & clamps every 6 months and coat both with a light film of dielectric grease. One of these cleaning tools is likely less than $10 and is a good addition to your toolbox.

Oxidation buildup under the clamps can be difficult to see without first removing the clamp. The dielectric grease will reduce oxidation and corrosion and improve conductivity.

battery post cleaner.jpg