Dave's 21 PW Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
David Ware

David Ware

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L hemi
How the heck did you get everything backed down into the lake with deploying the tow mirrors?!

Truck is looking good!
I just closed my eyes and gave her the beans…I guess luck was on my side lol. Thanks for the support brother.

"The clunkiness of the transmission"...
Really..? Please elaborate
This could be a one off scenario for my truck, but when accelerating and I let off of the gas right before a transmission shift I get a clunk or the gear slams into position. It’s not loud but the jolt can’t be felt throughout the cab. It may only happen one or two times during a driving period but enough to be an annoyance. I have litterly done zero research on the topic but in past vehicles, I’ve always had the issue fixed with better transmission tuning. Usually upping the oil pressure during a shift would fix it.

If this is a known issue I would love to hear anyones advice on the topic, if it’s a one off scenario I may take it to the dealer to have them take a peak at it before I tune it just to be on the safe side.

OP
OP
David Ware

David Ware

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L hemi
How are you liking the throttle body?
I did the throttle body and S&B intake at the same time so I'm not sure which one benefited the most. The throttle response increased a little on the lower gears and everything feels smoother when accelerating. With tuning I'm sure it will benefit even more.

zer0t

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th Anniversary
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I'm going to shamelessly copy some of this. :) I just need to find a shop because I don't have the space here.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just closed my eyes and gave her the beans…I guess luck was on my side lol. Thanks for the support brother.

This could be a one off scenario for my truck, but when accelerating and I let off of the gas right before a transmission shift I get a clunk or the gear slams into position. It’s not loud but the jolt can’t be felt throughout the cab. It may only happen one or two times during a driving period but enough to be an annoyance. I have litterly done zero research on the topic but in past vehicles, I’ve always had the issue fixed with better transmission tuning. Usually upping the oil pressure during a shift would fix it.

If this is a known issue I would love to hear anyones advice on the topic, if it’s a one off scenario I may take it to the dealer to have them take a peak at it before I tune it just to be on the safe side.
I have just under 14,000 miles on my 2020 PW and do not notice any tranny clunk.

zer0t

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th Anniversary
Engine
6.4L Hemi
How's the ride quality work updated suspension on road? It looks like stock tires still in this picture?

Last edited:
OP
OP
David Ware

David Ware

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L hemi
How's the ride quality work updated suspension on road? It looks like stock tires still in this picture?

Its not game-changing by any means, but it is an improvement over stock. This is the only true way to level a truck and get the benefit of a better ride quality..spacers shouldn't even be considered. I am overall happy with the setup, but if Kings weren't 9-11 months out on wait times I would have those instead. The ATS Fox steering stabilizer is top-notch, I recommend one of these to anyone going bigger than stock tires. And yes, still stock tires for the time being...it will have to wait until after we move into our new house next month.

If anyone is debating on a toolbox for your PW, here is the low-profile camlocker w/ rails I picked up two weeks ago. Fitment is perfect and It does not extend to the bottom of the bed if you're looking to still keep some bed space.

246492973_399904311776164_5718971444338469135_n.jpg

245936636_1013103489479005_7122265052184467388_n.jpg

OP
OP
David Ware

David Ware

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L hemi
The new bed light is in! I went with the factory MOPAR CHMSL (Part #: 68523968AA) from Moparfactoryparts.com for $180. You can't beat the price, considering what all comes with it compared to other aftermarket options. I originally went with a smoked RECON LED third brake light and after the first rainstorm, my ENTIRE back seat and headliner were soaked. It was a nightmare getting all the water out and everything dry.

So for the same price, I picked up the factory smoked MOPAR option to match the white/black theme of the truck. I'll eventually run the camera cable since it is not already pre-ran, this may be my winter project..but for now, it is a huge upgrade over the factory red halogen third brake light which doesn't match anything on the anniversary trucks. Additionally, the third brake light matches the bed lights and the light throw is so much better at night.

245363499_561134268520814_7267290301749706116_n.jpg

246464806_554395578984274_3323648448741408810_n.jpg

Wycheguy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have that light, it’s blinding at night.
Im waiting for the tuner conversation to start.

OP
OP
David Ware

David Ware

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L hemi
I have that light, it’s blinding at night.
Im waiting for the tuner conversation to start.

Its your lucky night ;) As for the tuner, I skimped out and went with what everyone else is doing and picked up an Edge Pulsar. If I ever decide to Cam the truck or do some head work I may go with a custom tuner. There just isn't enough info on the forums to persuade me to a custom tune for what few bolt-ons I do have.

The Edge Pulsar was easy to install, it should take a novice person no more than 20 mins to hook up. The power levels are surprisingly beefy...I am coming from a 2019 Raptor and I feel that tune 6, Performance tow w/o MDS, feels as strong as my stock raptor. Tune 8 will be perfect for when I slap 37's on the truck, for now it is just too touchy and gets very spin happy on the stock 33's. Also it gives you the ability to adjust gear ratios and tire sizes if you every decide to change things up. It doesn't replace a custom tune, but after having plenty of vehicles with custom tunes this out of the box tuning is not bad at all.

245594666_1033775920753963_9208567403772450881_n.jpg

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I don't know what the torque specs are for those bolts, but my 3ft breaker bar was flexing pretty good trying to get those bolts off lol.
They were tough. It took a bit to break mine lose. I’m late to the party but welcome to the Club from Conroe Texas!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Edge Pulsar was easy to install, it should take a novice person no more than 20 mins to hook up. The power levels are surprisingly beefy...I am coming from a 2019 Raptor and I feel that tune 6, Performance tow w/o MDS, feels as strong as my stock raptor. Tune 8 will be perfect for when I slap 37's on the truck, for now it is just too touchy and gets very spin happy on the stock 33's. Also it gives you the ability to adjust gear ratios and tire sizes if you every decide to change things up. It doesn't replace a custom tune, but after having plenty of vehicles with custom tunes this out of the box tuning is not bad at all.

David,

First off, thank you for your service. I have been looking at the Pulsar and sent some questions into them, but maybe you can answer a couple from your experiences.

1. Can you calibrate the throttle sensitivity separate from the tunes themselves? I have a throttle controller on my Wrangler that can be adjusted to about 15 settings of sensitivity, but it is not a tuner.

2. Are the tunes just "canned" or does is ask questions for bolt-ons such as aftermarket air filters, exhaust, etc?

3. Do the more aggressive tunes require higher octane fuel?

4. Did you spring for the Insite touch screen, or just use the module alone?

5. Can you adjust the tire pressure alarm threshold?

Thanks!

Wycheguy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Do you feel that the Pulsar canned tunes took advantage of your CAI and exhaust?

OP
OP
David Ware

David Ware

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L hemi
David,

First off, thank you for your service. I have been looking at the Pulsar and sent some questions into them, but maybe you can answer a couple from your experiences.

1. Can you calibrate the throttle sensitivity separate from the tunes themselves? I have a throttle controller on my Wrangler that can be adjusted to about 15 settings of sensitivity, but it is not a tuner.

2. Are the tunes just "canned" or does is ask questions for bolt-ons such as aftermarket air filters, exhaust, etc?

Thanks!
Thank you! I'll do my best to answer them for you...this is all from the owners manual, so if it has additional features outside of that then I wont know them.

- No you can't, it is pre-set unfortunately unlike a pedal commander. This is really my only complaint with the tuner. The performance tune is awesome however, it is super touchy on stock tires. If your running 37's or bigger it shouldn't be an issue.

- Nope, they are canned tunes they do not have additional tunes for certain bolts-ons. I know several companies that do this but this one does not sadly.

- Yes, both the performance tunes (7 & 8) require 91+ octane

- I did not get the insite, only the Pulsar module. Since the truck has the "off-road pages" I felt that an additional gauge monitor was not necessary.

- No sadly, you'll have to get an Alpha OBD to do this. The only adjustment options are: Tire size, gear size, tune selection, DTC read and clear codes

Do you feel that the Pulsar canned tunes took advantage of your CAI and exhaust?
I would like to think so, since I had the CAI and exhaust on prior its really hard to tell. If I knew someone with a stock truck I could compare the two. Usually canned tunes are geared towards stock trucks but hopefully it uses the MAF and 02 sensors to see that there is more air in and more air out. I know this isn't a clear answer but I hope it helps.