Dealer After Sales experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate it. As long as they think you buy something from them, they kissing your feet, and in the moment, they got your money, you get the kick in the butt out of the door like: "thanks for the money, now f#ck off" .

I bought my truck now 6 weeks ago. Ok- it was used, but well- I still think I paid a good amount of money and everybody who makes payments know, how hard it is to work for it. (ok- the other ones too).
As I bought it- before I even signed anything, there was one thing, I wanted them to do. The glass of the combi instrument was scratched and cracked and has white spots all over (don't know what they sprayed on, but obviously it made the plastic milky. The sales guy promised me to fix it- he ordered the glass cover and told me, it's there on Saturday and I can come and they install it with no cost for me. So far so good.
I called Friday and the sales guy never answered the phone. I called Saturday and he also did not answer (I called about 15 minutes after opening). The desk woman told me to talk on his mailbox, he will call me back- well- he didn't. I waited till Monday- because the dealer is 35 miles away from me, and I did not wanted to drive for nothing- and called- it took me 20 minutes, until he finally answered the phone. He was very friendly and checked and said, the part is not there but the parts guy said, it's there till next Saturday. I called Friday again to make sure and again- nobody answered the phone- nobody called me back, how I asked for, nothing. I finally got a hold of the parts guy and he said- the part is there, I can come.
I was there 9:00 AM Saturday morning. I gave them my truck key and started walking around. my truck was sitting at the entrance. and sitting. and sitting. after 1 hour, I asked, when they start on my truck, they said, it's the next vehicle. I thought- ok- I'm not the only one with an appointment, so I waited patiently. after 2 hours, I asked, as my truck still was sitting there and the parts guy said- well- it's the wrong part. What???? so it took them 2 hours, to tell me that? and if I would not had asked, no telling, how long I would had sit there. I went to the sales guy and told him, to call me, when the correct part is there. he said sorry and he can wash my truck (I denied) and he will call me as soon as the part is available. well- now 4 weeks later, they still don't have the part and the parts guy told me, that it's a very rare part and hard to get- well I googled- they sell that stuff on amazon. 50 available.
I also don't have to say- nobody called me so far, my calls going in mail box and when I call the parts department, they tell me- yes- it should be here Saturday.
I am so tired of it. all the great buying experience and they destroyed my trust with such a stupid action. all they had to do is, at least call me and tell me the situation. I'm still friendly and patient, I did not curse anybody out yet and I still told them I understand. But I'm slowly at the end of my patience because I worked 25 years at the dealership and nobody can tell me, that it takes 6-8 weeks to order a standard original part.
What's wrong with them?
I already changed dealerships, because the last one, as I bought my wife's charger, after we signed everything, he walked us to the door and instead of going with us to the brand new vehicle, he gave my wife the key and said- it's sitting over yonder beside the 300. I asked, don't you want to come with us and show my wife the functions? he said- the handbook is in the glove box- ya'll figure it out. turned around and let us stand there like idiots.
I could go on with experience like this- that was not everything by far. but What is wrong with them dealers???

does anybody has similar experience or am I the only one?

Last edited:
OP
OP
chris1965

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not to excuse your experience, but that sounds about typical of life in general. Nobody gives a crap unless they are making money in the moment.

I know you can't compare it- but well- where I grew up and was working, every new car buyer got his car prepared in a special corner of the show room- there where flowers around and a nice setting, a exchangeable big flag in the back with the Vehicle name (was VW and it showed either Golf, Passat, Polo, A4, A6, etc...). The vehicle was set on a podium, a round bar table was set and a glass of champagne was supplied to the customer. A memory picture was made and the customer got his picture as he bought the car. after that, the sales guy explained the complete vehicle to the customer, showed him little tricks, hints and gimmicks and after that the customer got a nice fare well from the team. EVERY customer had this experience. we had the same set up in the used car department. Maybe sounds silly and poopie, but if you had the experience- you will tell your family and friends about, how you was treated as a valued customer.
Even as a high volume dealer- there is time for stuff like this. if you go to a dealership- most of the sales guys sitting around and reading newspaper.
Another thing was, there was a automated system which reminded you every morning to call customers, where it was set up and you had to confirm the time when you called him back before the note disappeared. The system was maintained by the front desk, when customers called and asked for the call being returned. there was a pop up on the computer of the employee, which could x-ed out but appeared in 5-minute intervals until the call time was entered.
We also had a external agency calling random customers asking about their experience and satisfaction. Every issue got addressed in the morning meetings and weekly meetings.
As I was service manager and branch manager, we had one of the highest customer satisfaction rates in the region and the most new customers also. We had a lot of other stuff, like digital shop management system, where every day was planned with work for the shop, left some room for walk in's. also every customer was called when the vehicle was ready. The parts department checked every day if the parts where available and until noon, every customer, we knew, the vehicle will not be ready at pick up time, was called and notified including call time and response note in the system. This way we had track of everything going on in the dealership. Everybody had access and was able to answer questions from the customer. Everybody could look up and see, where the car is, how the progress is and when the car was estimated to be ready. And in addition- every car- even after an oil change- was washed, vacuumed and the windshield cleaned from the inside. The customer don't see the oil but he sees that the vehicle is clean.
you have to do something to get and keep customers. what they do here, that's not the way.

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
There is a big difference between used and new. With new, there is post delivery survey sent out asking if the dealer and sales did this or that. So in that instance, they blow smoke up your ass and give you the pampered princess treatment before delivery.

Buying used, I can imagine that there is no follow on survey from corporate FCA and the dealer could care less.

90% of the time when I am at the dealer buying new or used, I could care less about how they make me feel as I am doing battle to get the best deal out the gate and at times, has gotten dirty because it is a business transaction to me and feeling good after the sale in predicated on getting what I want before the sale. Still does not excuse unfulfilled promises though.

I can say though I have bought my last three new vehicles from the same dealer and same salesman but in every instance coming on the lot, the salesman has never remembered me from before or never done a personal follow up post sales. I am fine with that as usually get what I want out of him.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some sales men are good, some are there to get your buck and run. and by running its usually to another dealer to make more money so they usually dont care about their past customers unless its the ones that buy yearly from them.

i have been on both sides. one salesman he sold me one car at one dealer, he moved and sold me another car at another dealer. every time i go in he knows my name and says hi.
i have one salesman i never even purchased a car from, but he even told me if i was getting a good deal at another dealer that he couldnt beat to go there instead of him.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I know you can't compare it- but well- where I grew up and was working, every new car buyer got his car prepared in a special corner of the show room- there where flowers around and a nice setting, a exchangeable big flag in the back with the Vehicle name (was VW and it showed either Golf, Passat, Polo, A4, A6, etc...). The vehicle was set on a podium, a round bar table was set and a glass of champagne was supplied to the customer. A memory picture was made and the customer got his picture as he bought the car. after that, the sales guy explained the complete vehicle to the customer, showed him little tricks, hints and gimmicks and after that the customer got a nice fare well from the team. EVERY customer had this experience. we had the same set up in the used car department. Maybe sounds silly and poopie, but if you had the experience- you will tell your family and friends about, how you was treated as a valued customer.
Even as a high volume dealer- there is time for stuff like this. if you go to a dealership- most of the sales guys sitting around and reading newspaper.
Another thing was, there was a automated system which reminded you every morning to call customers, where it was set up and you had to confirm the time when you called him back before the note disappeared. The system was maintained by the front desk, when customers called and asked for the call being returned. there was a pop up on the computer of the employee, which could x-ed out but appeared in 5-minute intervals until the call time was entered.
We also had a external agency calling random customers asking about their experience and satisfaction. Every issue got addressed in the morning meetings and weekly meetings.
As I was service manager and branch manager, we had one of the highest customer satisfaction rates in the region and the most new customers also. We had a lot of other stuff, like digital shop management system, where every day was planned with work for the shop, left some room for walk in's. also every customer was called when the vehicle was ready. The parts department checked every day if the parts where available and until noon, every customer, we knew, the vehicle will not be ready at pick up time, was called and notified including call time and response note in the system. This way we had track of everything going on in the dealership. Everybody had access and was able to answer questions from the customer. Everybody could look up and see, where the car is, how the progress is and when the car was estimated to be ready. And in addition- every car- even after an oil change- was washed, vacuumed and the windshield cleaned from the inside. The customer don't see the oil but he sees that the vehicle is clean.
you have to do something to get and keep customers. what they do here, that's not the way.

thats a bit over the top, imo. ive never seen anything like that happen, nor would i expect it to. as far as the issues your having getting the dealer to replace the instrument cluster plastic....do you have it in writing? sounds like they are trying to blow you off.

OP
OP
chris1965

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
See, Hootbro, that's the point.
They don't care. And that's why people have no ties to one or the other dealer. I don't think, that makes a difference between new and used. I treated the used car buyers the same way, because if you compare- they actually have it usually harder to buy a vehicle. if not, they would buy new. But you never know.
I had a customer, he was out of work, was on social security and came always for little stuff. wiper blades, light bulb, if he could afford it, I made him a special price for his oil change, that he at least was able to do the minimum. I let a apprentice change his spark plugs and didn't charge him for the labor, etc.
After 3 years knowing him, he came to me, had clean cloths on, dress shirt, tie, nice new hair cut and told me proud, that he finally found a job and makes good money now and decided to buy a new car. and he bought it from us, because we was the only ones treating him like a human person.
That's how it goes.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My son sells chryslers and rams in jacksonville, il.....he cringes every time he hears stories like this. These careless salemen just dont understand how great (not good) customer service both before and after the sale increases their customer base and enhances future sales opportunities. An old marketing adage sats that if a customer is happy, he generally doesnt say much to anyone, but if he is upset he tells 9 to 11 people.....its called cognative dissonance.
chrysler salesmen are supposed to be certified through online training and in class courses. My son can tell you how everything works on every vehicle he sells. I was at his dealership last week and overheard a customer ask another salesman what type of oil should be used in a new jeep. The salesman said not to worry about it because the service department knows what to use. Later, i asked my son the same question and he immediately said 5w20 that meets chrysler specs.....he new the spec number.
Obviously, the other salesman had no idea and didnt care enough to find out. As a customer, i would immediately go find another salesman or dealership. There is no excuse for not knowing!!!

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you can always tell what salesmen treat it like a career and what ones treat it like a job. the career ones will learn the vehicles inside and out where as the job ones dont care about customers or the products they sell.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you can always tell what salesmen treat it like a career and what ones treat it like a job. the career ones will learn the vehicles inside and out where as the job ones dont care about customers or the products they sell.

My salesman worked at the dealership I go to as a mechanic for like 20 years. He's been a salesman there for the past 10. He's a great guy, and it's pretty clear it's a career to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
The dealer I bought from was fantastic. 4.8 out of 5 start rating from 2000 reviews. Being out of town they made the whole experience easy, and I did it all over the phone. My local dealers couldn't come within 3K of the price.

I use my local dealer for service and the service dept is fantastic. They know me by name and bend over backwards trying to help. The GM of the dealer is a complete ******* though. I commented on buying from them because of how amazing the service dept is, and he said "Yeah they sell more cars for us than our sales department, haha"

I thought about saying "yeah that doesn't surprise me." I was in there complaining about one of the salesman who insulted me. I said I wanted to order longhorn, he saw I was young and said "Oh wow, you know those are pretty expensive. I have a few year old used one here that might work for you." That sent me over the edge lol. The GM basically said I won't get it for the price I did, so I walked. The salesman was fired in the next few months as well. I did get it for the price I wanted, and I'll probably give them a shot at my next truck, only because of the service dept.

Greeco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Several years ago I made my first new car purchase after years of buying used vehicles. Final price was north of 50k. I was treated like royalty right up to the point of signing the final paperwork. After getting the new ride home I realized that it was missing the owner's manual. I drove back to the dealership and found my salesman. He was eating ramen noodles in the customer waiting area and I explained to him what I was looking for. He looked up at me, paused for several seconds and said, "I'm eating my lunch right now. I'll get to you when I'm finished". His demeanor had taken a serious turn. It took him almost 30 minutes to finally track down the owners manual. Once the dealership had my money things changed for sure.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When dealing with anyone who provides a service; car salesman, plumber, electrician, etc etc, if you start with high expectations, you leave lots of room for disappointment. As someone said it shouldn't take long for you to figure out who is a professional and who is just doing a job. If your buying a truck and you know more about the truck than your salesman, maybe that should tell you something. Repeat customers and word of mouth advertisement keeps businesses afloat and the sooner they find that out, the better customers will be treated! If you put up with ****** service or treatment your just adding to the problem. IMHO
Jay

OP
OP
chris1965

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When dealing with anyone who provides a service; car salesman, plumber, electrician, etc etc, if you start with high expectations, you leave lots of room for disappointment. As someone said it shouldn't take long for you to figure out who is a professional and who is just doing a job. If your buying a truck and you know more about the truck than your salesman, maybe that should tell you something. Repeat customers and word of mouth advertisement keeps businesses afloat and the sooner they find that out, the better customers will be treated! If you put up with ****** service or treatment your just adding to the problem. IMHO
Jay

In my time at the service desk, I had a saying. The worst customer is the one who smiles, pay, turn around and never comes back. I will never find out why.
I'm tired of telling everybody what they did wrong (drilling holes in the bumper even though I told them not to, tighten my lug nuts with power tools even though I told them, not to, removing the oil filter after the drain plug on my BMW- even though I told them, to do it first and told them the reason and overfill the oil, etc...) I think, this time I will be one of the worst customers. I will wait till I got my part, smile, turn around and never come back...

muttmutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately this is the way it is with any purchases. Bought I phone 6 and 30 minutes later I returned as the speaker was bad. Was told I have to send it to Apple. Are you kidding me 30 Minutes .....

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Of the last 20 new vehicle purchases I have had exactly ONE great salesman the other 19 managed a 3/10 in regards to product knowledge. My wife ended up getting a Dodge salesman fired back in 2000, this guy was a complete dope and I really mean a dope. I find service south of the 49th generally better than north of said parallel. Oh well whatcha gonna do.

JaredRAM2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Having a family member working on the Chrysler side of the house has been nice! He walks me over to the manager (I forget their titles, basically the guy who prices out the trucks), introduces me, tells them who I am and makes sure I get the bottom dollar deal.

Side story: I walked into a used dealership with a check in hand for one of their vehicles. I had one final request before I sign, I wanted a 30 day warranty just to protect me in case the previous owner hid something before trade in. I didn't feel I was asking too much and I have received this from other dealerships in the past. There are times I have been on a test drive and the CEL came on, or I started to smell coolant through the vents. The guy completely flipped 180 and cut me off mid sentence and shouted "I won't do it, once you drive it off the lot, it's yours!"

Ok...... *rip* see ya!!

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Purchasing my wife's Mazda in February of 15 was an arduous task. After finding the car out of state, being told it had all the features we required and having it delivered, we discovered it did not have factory installed heated seats. At this point I was done, I attempted to cancel the deal, my salesman offered me $500 cash to stay in the deal, and all issues would be resolved. I agreed, after 3 to 4 weeks of the salesman ducking my calls I decided I would go down on my day off and not leave until I was compensated.

The look on the sales manager's face was priceless, my salesman was on his day off, and was being called in to answer for his actions.

The owner of the dealership promptly arrived from her other dealership and told me she had no idea what my salesman had done, but it was coming out of his check. She then handed me a check for $500.

The salesman came whipping into the lot just as I was pulling out. I have no idea if he still works there, and frankly I don't give a damn.