Dealers are not responsive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate1821

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
None
I realize the dealerships are battling through Covid like we all are, but I am interested in a 20 Ram 1500 and cannot get a dealership to even entertain me trying to buy a truck from them. I tried three so far in Connecticut and New York.

-One immediately called me and we discussed my needs. They said I would receive a credit app via email and a follow up phone call. That was three weeks ago.
-The second emailed me after I did a, "I'm interested" button on their website. They sent me an email that their best price was MSRP. Then the following week got an email that their best price was $500 over MSRP.
-The third immediately sent me a reply email at my request. Said to call the salesman. I called the salesman and he said it was too late in the day to start discussing a new truck sale and to call him back two days later.

Is this typical for RAM dealers? Makes me wonder what their service departments are like. Does anyone have recommendations? I've purchased many vehicles in my lifetime from other makes and usually have to tell the dealerships to leave me alone because of how annoying their non-stop communication becomes. This has been the complete opposite.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That isn't anything like my experience with any CDJR dealership. Or any dealership of any make of vehicle. Something doesn't sound right there. Do either of those states currently not allow car sales? Many states currently don't allow in-person car sales transactions. Some states are allowing only text or email transactions. Current pricing has been reported to be buyer friendly, and the only times I've heard of anyone paying MSRP for a Ram 1500 is when they take the 0% interest for 84 months deal. I can't wait for things to get back to some semblance of normality.

GrumpyOleMan

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just went through the process of purchasing a vehicle for my lovely wife. I had the same experience as the OP at some dealers. I even went so far as to make an offer on a used vehicle she liked at a dealer several hours away. After I made the offer to a salesman, he stopped calling back. I called and spoke with a "sales manager" who apologized and promised he would look into the offer and call me back. But no such luck, he never returned my call ... nothing - no calls/no texts. a week later I noticed they dropped the price of the car to just a couple hundred above what i offered so i called and asked to speak with "the" sales manager who listened and also apologized and promised to look into it and yada yada. I never heard from him either. Crazy. The dealership I ended up buying from was great, even delivered the car full of gas and all cleaned up.

end result is I bought new instead of used and I will never buy from the dealer that blew me off.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Take no offense at my response as none is intended...

Most dealerships are dealing with an immense supply shortage of new vehicles and as you can imagine are receiving an inordinate amount of tire-kicking e-mails from would be buyers. In my experience prior to the COVID-19 nonsense, I had a hell of a time getting so much as a response after my initial communication. These trucks were flying off the lot and customers present at the dealership were getting preferential treatment.

I called their bluff and ordered one spec'd the way I wanted and for grins and giggles had it delivered to the dealer that wouldn't return my calls. I'm an *******... what can I say.

I took delivery 30-ish days ago and since then the available inventory of moderately equipped 1500's and all but two (2) HD's have disappeared from lots in North Texas. These trucks are still flying off the lots and nearly MSRP now and anyone that tries to low ball, dicker or haggle is being ignored - because they can ignore them.

My advice, go to the lot and pick one out and then haggle the hell out of them.

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm gettin emails from 2 local dealers tryin to sell me a truck or to get service done here in Ga. Maybe 1-2 a week,

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I have a great relationship with two CJDR dealers, heck the salesman that sold me my 392 Charger, we still text each other...LOL

One dealer in OKC, I have bought several Rams from, I call and they know who I am. But sad, some dealers are like @Sandevino says, most get a TON of tire kickers when people are stuck at home. But agree also, you cant just go in.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Brother in law was recently looking at used vehicles, including Grand Cherokees. All of the dealers he dealt with were responsive, but they just werent "dealing" good numbers.

We live in CT as well, he ended up in NJ getting a used 2019 GC Limited. Good deal, good communication from the dealer and they even worked out prepping it right after signing the paperwork so it didnt require a second trip back and forth from CT.

@Nate1821 what dealers are you talking to? Can take to PM if you are more comfortable.

OP
OP
N

Nate1821

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
None
@chrisbh17 - PM sent

I really think this has to do with Covid. If they communicated that it would be fine. No response makes no sense. We haven’t even engaged in any negotiation. I would understand if I lowballed or had no credit.

Fredro Starr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,

New here.

My experience was similar. At one dealership, they would not even give me a price on my trade-in until I committed to their truck. I said I WILL buy a truck within the next 72 hours and it would be nice if I had more information on their vehicle so I could accurately compare apples to apples. No dice.

The salesperson had the audacity to email me @ 60 hours later to ask if "I was ready to talk price."

Even the wife commented no one seems really motivated to take your money...

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
There’s a glut of used cars in the market. The dealers don’t want your car now as they’re sitting on 3 months minimum used inventory.

Moe S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
My experience was similar. At one dealership, they would not even give me a price on my trade-in until I committed to their truck....

I had a similar experience. One dealer wouldn't let me test drive until I had an agreement to purchase. I also got a lot of form emails, ignoring my specific questions. A lot of dealers you just have to call. I finally got a good price quote through email, so I called him and he found even more discounts for me.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I had a similar experience. One dealer wouldn't let me test drive until I had an agreement to purchase. I also got a lot of form emails, ignoring my specific questions. A lot of dealers you just have to call. I finally got a good price quote through email, so I called him and he found even more discounts for me.
now thats insane, Id leave bad feedback for that dealer....Id immediate turn and say pizz off...and leave

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im in Milford and pretty much avoid Milford Auto Group as much as I can.

Strike 1 - dropped truck off for whining A/C compressor. Still under bumper to bumper warranty, they kept the truck all day, then said "nope its normal". Not even sure they listened to or even moved the truck

Strike 2 - family member trying to buy a Grand Cherokee. As of last month, they have 4 brand new 2018 (yes, 2018) Grand Cherokees. Do you think they would deal? lol they "generously" knocked $400.00 off asking price.

Strike 3 - (literally last Friday): friend of our family took his Wrangler there for service. He has aftermarket wheels that have some decorative rivet or bolt things on them. They were all there when he dropped it off, at least 2 were missing when he picked it up. He found 1 of them in his front passenger seat (?), asked them about the other and their response was "no proof it wasnt already gone when you dropped it off".

I dont like bad mouthing people, but Strike 3 pretty much ended any chance Ill go there in the future. Its literally 2 miles from my house, but I will drive to the next nearest dealer (15 miles away) just out of principle.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Im in Milford and pretty much avoid Milford Auto Group as much as I can.

Strike 1 - dropped truck off for whining A/C compressor. Still under bumper to bumper warranty, they kept the truck all day, then said "nope its normal". Not even sure they listened to or even moved the truck

Strike 2 - family member trying to buy a Grand Cherokee. As of last month, they have 4 brand new 2018 (yes, 2018) Grand Cherokees. Do you think they would deal? lol they "generously" knocked $400.00 off asking price.

Strike 3 - (literally last Friday): friend of our family took his Wrangler there for service. He has aftermarket wheels that have some decorative rivet or bolt things on them. They were all there when he dropped it off, at least 2 were missing when he picked it up. He found 1 of them in his front passenger seat (?), asked them about the other and their response was "no proof it wasnt already gone when you dropped it off".

I dont like bad mouthing people, but Strike 3 pretty much ended any chance Ill go there in the future. Its literally 2 miles from my house, but I will drive to the next nearest dealer (15 miles away) just out of principle.
Thanks for the Heads up first hand info on Milford ! Things change ! One I will avoid when in Ct. My nephews live in Milford so I stop there as well as Derby ! Great to get local advice ! I am also looking for dealers in Ct. near Middletown to use if needed when I am there !

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my truck at Branhaven in Branford. Sales experience wasnt too bad.

Service seems typical: everything is a normal characteristic. Took my truck there (first) for the whining A/C compressor. After 3 hours of sitting in the waiting room, "normal". When I asked why it didnt whine for the first 2 years of ownership "they all do it". They found a similar truck and had me listen to the noise. There was none....when I questioned that was when I got "well even if we replace the compressor its going to make the noise, so its just a waste of time and money".

My b2b warranty ends in October, hoping that it gets REALLY loud when used more during the summer (granted, not really driving lately!), then Ill bring it in with it whining away in hopes it will no longer be considered normal. But my guess is once my MaxCare (100.00 deductible) kicks in, all of a sudden it will become something that needs to be fixed. Basically put it off until they can eek a little more $$$ out of it.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I bought my truck at Branhaven in Branford. Sales experience wasnt too bad.

Service seems typical: everything is a normal characteristic. Took my truck there (first) for the whining A/C compressor. After 3 hours of sitting in the waiting room, "normal". When I asked why it didnt whine for the first 2 years of ownership "they all do it". They found a similar truck and had me listen to the noise. There was none....when I questioned that was when I got "well even if we replace the compressor its going to make the noise, so its just a waste of time and money".

My b2b warranty ends in October, hoping that it gets REALLY loud when used more during the summer (granted, not really driving lately!), then Ill bring it in with it whining away in hopes it will no longer be considered normal. But my guess is once my MaxCare (100.00 deductible) kicks in, all of a sudden it will become something that needs to be fixed. Basically put it off until they can eek a little more $$$ out of it.
Thanks for the details :) When I go to Ct. I take my RAM so good to know of place's to use or not use

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If I had experienced any of these stories that some of you have posted I'd never do business with those dealers again. It might even be enough to drive me to Ford, or God forbid, Chevy. :Big Laugh:

It seems to me that they should be doing everything they can to sell cars to people, not the opposite. You still can't buy vehicles in some states that have shut car sales down. The only business they can do is parts and service.