Dealers are not responsive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
Thanks everyone. I’m going to try executive and branhaven.

If that doesn't work, Manchester, NH is only a couple hours north. My dad and most of my family still lives in CT so I get down there every once in a while. If you can't find good service locally, call Bonneville and Son and ask for Mike Raymond. https://www.bonnevilleandson.com/
He's a straight shooter and won't "try" to sell you a car. He'll work the numbers and bend over backwards for you- if the deal makes sense for you. I bought my last 2 Rams and the wife's Jeep from him. He had his assistant drive to MA to pick up my current truck from another dealer, then drive an hour north from the dealer to install my plow. This is by far the best dealer I've worked with and I've bought and traded plenty of cars.
Good luck!

Jameshill84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Went in to the dealer today, offered them 3K less than the sale price....they said no thank you and no counter so I left....MSRP 69K....Price 61.5...Offered 58.5.
No dice

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Go back after the weekend and offer $55k with $3k CASH DOWN. If they balk, walk....

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went in to the dealer today, offered them 3K less than the sale price....they said no thank you and no counter so I left....MSRP 69K....Price 61.5...Offered 58.5.
No dice

You walked, so the process has begun :)

They'll call, eventually. My brother in law went through the same BS with multiple dealers. We looked at a used Kia Sorento for 37K, KBB value wasnt even that high, he offered 32K and they laughed at him. Said *maybe* there was $500.00 they could play with. We left....months later the vehicle is still there. They were calling him and were down to 35K last I checked, he just doesnt bother answering anymore.

Same went with a few Grand Cherokees he looked at. Its like when you are there in person (or you call them on phone), their poop dont stink. Then when they frustrate you enough to walk away, eventually they decide to try and work with you. Sorry! its not like there are only 1 or 2 of these things ever made.

upflying

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I bought my Ram from Dennis Dillon in Caldwell, ID. $12,000 off msrp, a fair deal since they paid my one way airfare and one night in a hotel. Very responsive dealer and took care of me.
Dave Smith is another dealer to check in Idaho.

Moe S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I almost had a deal this week. Salesman gave me a solid price over the phone. I asked him if he could email me the numbers so I could send them to my credit union. When his email came, he said he couldn't give me one of the incentives that was worth $3000. He said his sales manager declined it, because inventory is so low right now. He wasn't trying to pull a fast one. I have read the dealers with limited inventory need to try and get as much as they can for these trucks. I told him if there are any future incentives I can qualify for, I'm ready.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Not sure where in CT you are or where in NY you're willing to go, but if you're willing, try Healey Brothers CDJR in Beacon, NY. Ask for Richard Clark in sales. We've bought several vehicles from him.

-K

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Take no offense at my response as none is intended...

Most dealerships are dealing with an immense supply shortage of new vehicles and as you can imagine are receiving an inordinate amount of tire-kicking e-mails from would be buyers. In my experience prior to the COVID-19 nonsense, I had a hell of a time getting so much as a response after my initial communication. These trucks were flying off the lot and customers present at the dealership were getting preferential treatment.

I called their bluff and ordered one spec'd the way I wanted and for grins and giggles had it delivered to the dealer that wouldn't return my calls. I'm an *******... what can I say.

I took delivery 30-ish days ago and since then the available inventory of moderately equipped 1500's and all but two (2) HD's have disappeared from lots in North Texas. These trucks are still flying off the lots and nearly MSRP now and anyone that tries to low ball, dicker or haggle is being ignored - because they can ignore them.

My advice, go to the lot and pick one out and then haggle the hell out of them.
Howdy from Denison tx

Blue Mule

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Should not affect the price of the truck. If anything putting TOO much down should yield a better deal.

Meaning you put all your cards on the table too early. Putting more than $3k on the table starts to chip away at the garbage the dealership gets the opportunity to “sell” you.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Go back after the weekend and offer $55k with $3k CASH DOWN. If they balk, walk....

I offered 15k down....
Don't offer any down payment numbers, just talk price but throwing out a big down payment can give the salesperson the idea to hold their ground. They need to know their is competition for your business.
I was told many years ago by a car salesman to don't give them any numbers but what your looking to pay for the vehicle. He said especially not how much a month your looking to pay, they can make any car fit the payment in their favor.

Bisley45

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
Man o man, I just went through the same thing. I had to fly to OKC to buy a truck. Local dealers wouldn't budge and/or didn't have a gas 2500 I liked. The one local truck I found, the salesman wouldn't text me back.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I suppose that new vehicle salespeople are rich and don't need to make a paycheck.
I made an inquiry the other day... the sales manager, General manager and 2 salesman beat me up for 3 days trying to get me to come in so we could deal.
Granted I e bought 9 vehicles from this dealership in the past

Blue Mule

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Meaning you put all your cards on the table too early. Putting more than $3k on the table starts to chip away at the garbage the dealership gets the opportunity to “sell” you.

Honestly not even sure why to mention any down payment until there is an agreed upon deal.

Argue about the price of the vehicle first...if they arent meeting your price, the rest is irrelevant.

If it takes the "carrot" of a large down payment for them to meet your price, they arent really meeting your price, then.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Honestly not even sure why to mention any down payment until there is an agreed upon deal.

Argue about the price of the vehicle first...if they arent meeting your price, the rest is irrelevant.

If it takes the "carrot" of a large down payment for them to meet your price, they arent really meeting your price, then.
^^^ exactly
A down payment number should only need to be discussed with whoever your financing the vehicle through. It's a good idea to shop a loan through a bank and/or a credit union before you go vehicle shopping.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The down payment doesn't benefit the dealer, and should have no effect on the final price. A down payment benefits the buyer and the lender. Think about it this way, if someone buys a $60k car with little or no down payment, the lender is taking a bigger risk than they are on a buyer who puts a large down payment on the same car. If the first buyer defaults on the loan, the lender will repo the car, then sell it. If it's early in the life of the loan and the original buyer had negative equity, The lender will then have to go after the original buyer for the difference. If the buyer who had a large down payment defaults early in the loan, the lender repos the car and sells it. Because of the large down payment, it's likely the car will sell for at least the amount of the loan, and the lender won't have to try to get the difference from the original buyer. The lender will end up making money if the car sells for more than the loan amount. The buyer with the larger down payment can have a lower monthly payment. And they will have no reason to buy gap insurance. But the dealer received no benefit from the large down payment other than there being a better chance of the buyer being approved for the loan.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the salesman I use has no problem selling cars and has never phoned me.he did last week.I at least got three incentive offers in the mail this past week.I know they haven't sold any used inventory in 8 weeks but then again they haven't taken in any either.and if there is a new vehicle shortage they are going to need something to sell.but manufacturers are probably limiting dealer insentives to control inventory.they're not really giving up anything offering 0% financing.they get full price for the truck so they are actually making more profit it's the dealer getting squeezed.