Dealership screwed up repair is their solution ok?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steven_sbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But will all that stuff show up on a CarFax report?
I've seen CarFax reports showing "filled tires with air". There's no telling how much or how little will show up. But would you want to take the chance that a report outlines in detail all the repairs and damage? And you would trust the repairs done by a dealer that caused the engine damage? I feel bad for the OP about this. I wish him all the best luck. If it was me in this situation, I'd take my money and find a new truck.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Umm, what was wrong with the stock alternator, OP? While it's not your fault the dealer bricked your engine, it's definitely on you for giving it to them in the first place! Sorry, had to get that off my chest...

I think what you ask the dealer to do now is to make your truck stock. Good luck with that!

TXCOMT

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Honestly, I am surprised the dealership even took the job on. They are setup to deal with "as built'' and not dealing with unwinding someones botched mods.

Hindsight being 20/20 kind of thing, this would have been better handled at a independent shop to unscrew this than the dealership.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Since
Honestly, I am surprised the dealership even took the job on. They are setup to deal with "as built'' and not dealing with unwinding someones botched mods.

Hindsight being 20/20 kind of thing, this would have been better handled at a independent shop to unscrew this than the dealership.

This might be why they quoted 11000.00. they really didn't want the job.

Last edited:

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This.......this is why I buy new vehicles.

you dun Boomhauer'd that entire truck.

As much as I love the good ole days of simpler vehicles, I don't miss the constant tinkering. There's something to be said about a truck you can hop in and take to 100k with little more than gas, oil and tires.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Since

This might be why they quoted 11000.00. they really didn't want the job.

Probably right. Does sound like a "go away" quote and the high quote is what makes it worth their while.

OP
OP
M

Malarkus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Update on the situation at the dealership:

Went in and took a hard look at the cylinder walls and piston head. (They had not planned on replacing the piston) there were some big ass gouges in the piston head but no damage appeared to have been done to the walls. I told them they needed to replace the piston which they agreed to. After thinking about it some more I called them up yesterday afternoon and told them I really wanted a new block because with what they had proposed I was basically going to be ending up with a rebuilt engine and a truck I wouldn’t be able to re-sell. They are trying to tell me that since they didn’t replace the alternator, which is supposedly where the nut that went into the cylinder came from, that it wasn’t their fault. My push back was that I had removed the intake and put it back on several times and not run a nut through the engine and well look at the mess I made of things under the hood... So anyways my service advisor told me he’d set up a meeting with his boss for Tuesday since he would be gone Monday and he’d call me this morning and let me know what time that would be. It’s 2 o’clock pm my time and haven’t heard back. Starting to get frustrated.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If I were the guys boss, I'd probably tell you to accept the piston and whatever it needs to get it running right again and then send it down the road, There is no way I would give you a new engine block.
But then...I would never have taken on the job in the first place because of the damage that you already did to the truck.
Your resale value is gone because of what you did to the truck and it sounds like you're now trying to pass the problem and part of the blame for your mistake on to the shop.

I know you don't want to hear it....But this is 100% on you.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
If I were the guys boss, I'd probably tell you to accept the piston and whatever it needs to get it running right again and then send it down the road, There is no way I would give you a new engine block.
But then...I would never have taken on the job in the first place because of the damage that you already did to the truck.
Your resale value is gone because of what you did to the truck and it sounds like you're now trying to pass the problem and part of the blame for your mistake on to the shop.

I know you don't want to hear it....But this is 100% on you.

Pretty much this. Dealership has enough plausible deniability to tell the OP to go pound sand.

OP
OP
M

Malarkus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I’m going to have to disagree here. I brought the truck in and asked them to replace my wiring harness’. Dropping a piece of hardware into the intake manifold and then starting the truck and having said hardware run through my engine block feels like a totally different ball game. I think I’ve been pretty forthcoming with my **** ups and am willing to accept the consequences. To the tune of $8800. And anything that might follow me and affect resale related to what I DID. Which, btw, the dealership told me would not show up on Carfax because it was not a warranty claim it was like an upgrade...same as having them put on the cat back exhaust which brought me to the 11k number I put in my OP. At the end of the day my two main concerns are, if I let them do the repair like they proposed how much will it effect a. The useful lifetime of the truck and is the likelihood that there will be more repairs needed throughout the lifetime of the truck now as a result of this repair, assuming the repair is done right and by a good tech, much higher? And b. Will this really prevent me from reselling the truck down the line?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I’m going to have to disagree here. I brought the truck in and asked them to replace my wiring harness’. Dropping a piece of hardware into the intake manifold and then starting the truck and having said hardware run through my engine block feels like a totally different ball game. I think I’ve been pretty forthcoming with my **** ups and am willing to accept the consequences. To the tune of $8800. And anything that might follow me and affect resale related to what I DID. Which, btw, the dealership told me would not show up on Carfax because it was not a warranty claim it was like an upgrade...same as having them put on the cat back exhaust which brought me to the 11k number I put in my OP. At the end of the day my two main concerns are, if I let them do the repair like they proposed how much will it effect a. The useful lifetime of the truck and is the likelihood that there will be more repairs needed throughout the lifetime of the truck now as a result of this repair, assuming the repair is done right and by a good tech, much higher? And b. Will this really prevent me from reselling the truck down the line?

I believe you. That being said, what it boils down to is what can be provable? Bringing in a unmolested truck for a warranty concern after the fact, things like this would go your way. Bringing in a basket case for non warranty repair, any damage is going to be a finger pointing both ways and FCA is not going to touch it with a 10 foot pole, Then you are left suing the dealer in civil court with a "he said, he said" case.

hardEight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd really want a new long block (Bottom end, heads, etc) but, if there was no damage to the cylinder bores, as long as they replace the piston head and rings, it "should" be fine.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I’m going to have to disagree here. I brought the truck in and asked them to replace my wiring harness’. Dropping a piece of hardware into the intake manifold and then starting the truck and having said hardware run through my engine block feels like a totally different ball game.

Disagree all you want, You'll find out that regardless what you think FCA is not going to replace your engine when it only needs a piston.

I think I’ve been pretty forthcoming with my **** ups and am willing to accept the consequences. To the tune of $8800. And anything that might follow me and affect resale related to what I DID.

Yes you have.

the dealership told me would not show up on Carfax because it was not a warranty claim it was like an upgrade...same as having them put on the cat back exhaust which brought me to the 11k number I put in my OP.

I wouldn't count on that, I've seen some interesting stuff show up on Carfax reports.

At the end of the day my two main concerns are, if I let them do the repair like they proposed how much will it effect a. The useful lifetime of the truck and is the likelihood that there will be more repairs needed throughout the lifetime of the truck now as a result of this repair, assuming the repair is done right and by a good tech, much higher? And b. Will this really prevent me from reselling the truck down the line?

Replacing the piston will put you back where you were before the damage was done.
Replacing the whole block is way past the point of "making you whole" and it is completely unrealistic of you to expect that.
As long as YOU do not ever touch your truck with a wrench again it will probably require no more repairs than a normal truck would.
If you were to sell the truck and not mention any of this to the potential buyer, you would join the ranks of people that are the reason I never buy used trucks.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My concern would be, will the new one single piston be matched to what is already in this engine. If not, you could end up with an engine vibration you`ll never be able to get rid of. If not set into the bore correctly, they`ll crack a ring land on the new piston, and or worse, break a ring while installing it. Maybe you`ll get lucky and they will get the piston right straight from FCA (in mexico) where these engines are made, and hopefully, the new piston will weigh the same as the other 7 pistons. Another issue that could show its ugly face, will the compression be changed within this cylinder with the fresh new piston and rings(?). At the amount of money your paying, i think i would have just bought a low mileage`d engine from a salvage parts yard, dump it in, done. My next issue i would worry about, will the monkey thats working on this original engine, chances are, its not going to be done correctly. Chances are, they`ll have the same idiot that dropped the nut into the engine, putting this truck back together. And they will slam it together, git ya out the door as fast as possible just to get rid of you. You`ve become a problem for them.

I feel for ya bro... they ****** up the engine, which the engine wasn`t broken until THEY worked on it. They are taking the easy way out, you`re gonna be stuck with the mess. I do agree with some posters here, you are the one that caused this nasty problem to escalate into this bigger problem you have now, but they made it worse by having some ******* screw it up even worse for you. They own it, they have to pay for their mistake, just the same as you are. Good luck my friend, i hope this works out.

Tman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Night 4X4, Borla Catback Exhaust, Edge Pulsar, K&N, Modded Factory Air Intake, K&P Oil Filter
Engine
I would see what you could get for the truck as is...trading it in a rig that doesn't need anything but a tank of gas and sweet thing to ride beside you. Yeah, you messed it up....**** happens...but the dealership's mechanic took it to a whole new level.
I would press the dealership to accept the truck as is on a trade...and let them bite the bullet instead of you! Good LUCK!

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You've agreed to spend $11,000. Time to spend $500 on an attorney to represent you to negotiate the best outcome possible. In my book, that would be the trade value prior to the dealer damage plus $500 plus attorney's fees. Dealer eats any costs they expended towards the repairs.

Timway61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Gasoline V6
Had a girl rear end my 2014 Ram 1500, they wanted to bondoe the tailgate to repair the dent, I said no, truck was only 2 weeks old, so I got new tailgate, painted to match and labor, just over $1000. Showed up on vehicle report due to cost exceeding $1000. So that hurt my trade value.