Dealership screwed up repair is their solution ok?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14ramdjh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
they must replace every wire and wireloom that you modified at shop rate $100-$180 per hour. plus alternartor...
sorry for you.

for the life of me I can not understand why some one will pay $50,000 for a truck and start to try to improve what the manufacturer spent allot of time and money to perfect. just me I like things stock old and new

lobo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 c.i.
If it runs good when you get it back, just drive it and forget about it.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The more I think about this, the more I think the thread is mislabeled..."I screwed up my perfectly fine new Ram and the dealer made it worse" is much more accurate.

Seriously, though, I hope the dealership resolves it to the OP's satisfaction and both parties learned a lesson here.

TXCOMT

Stevesfirstram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think that I would talk to the dealership, that shares some of the blame, about a trade in. They are not going to want to keep messing with this truck. Maybe, they will help absorb some of your money spent on this repair towards the replacement vehicle. Your problems will not end once you get it back. Worth a try.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I think that I would talk to the dealership, that shares some of the blame, about a trade in. They are not going to want to keep messing with this truck. Maybe, they will help absorb some of your money spent on this repair towards the replacement vehicle. Your problems will not end once you get it back. Worth a try.

If the dealership is not owning up to the mistake, I do not see them offering any concessions on trading his vehicle in. At best, that dealership is going to treat it as a straight to auction vehicle and any offer is going to be low balled for that. They are not going to offer anything near fair market trade in value with it's history and it will never go back on their lot for resale.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see that OP is in KC. Just curious on the dealer? I seriously can't fathom doing that much damage to a new truck. What exactly were you trying to do? Were you trying to do the "big 3"? Hindsight I guess. Best of luck.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At this point with $11K in repairs for your screw up and with the Dealership "bricking" your engine, you're better off with a new engine . . . wiring harnesses and all. Would be cheaper (and easier on the dealership) and would fulfill both parties issues.

Unfortunately, the dealership is going to "Band-Aid" fix the issues they created as cheaply as possible and still hit you for the full amount you already agreed upon for the wiring debacle, and you'll more than likely have a problematic vehicle that will be more often than not at the dealership "getting fixed."

Regardless of the outcome, take the loss and dump/trade that truck as soon as it's "fixed."

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Instead of shelling out all that $$$$ for an un-guaranteed repair, get with dealership and broker a trade. Tell them to give you the best offer as is and buy a New Ride, out that 11K towards down payment. Take the loss and learn. They start pulling heads and just doing (1) piston, with rings, U start getting diff compression rations and all other OMG stuff. Trade it in for what they offer, bite the bullet, get a new ride, and maybe, just maybe Only lift the hood to check fluids and maybe go to a community college for a automotive course (this is tongue in cheek of course).

I honestly wished I would have gone to a few when I was a kid (many moons ago), but alas, I learned laying on my back and such in a driveway. WHY I am not a mechanic, just IMHO, not throwing darts at the OP.......kinda of a hard lesson, but life is what it is..., just saying

John-e-racer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And please don’t do that to your next truck. You tried to install something and caused problem. Maybe start with something simpler next time or ask for help
On this forum. I read your post and thought “wtf, is this a joke?” Good luck with your next truck

John-e-racer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To clarify my previous post. I am a mechanic by trade not on cars but something else. I have been working on cars and motorcycles all my life and seen engines ingest metal a few times. I had my a friend work on his bike and while removing carbs, a washer dropped into intake. Fired up and sounded like 1000 angry bees. I removed the head and the valve was bent, head and piston were dinged up bad but so was the cylinder wall. This warranted a new engine as this was cheaper. Have them pull the head off and show you the piston. It is aluminum so it will show where it was hitting the nut. I would accept nothing less than a new engine. They have insurance for cases like this.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, just read all the threads on this.........doubt you'll get a replacement block. Scratching my head as to how and why you would attempt this mod, but if I were you I'd get it fixed and dump it. And, don't try any mods like that on a new truck next time! :dancingpoop:

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow...OP I give you credit for posting all this up. I wouldve buried this story like a brussel sprout under my mashed potatoes when I was kid...
I am less concerned with the motor than I am a chopped up, spliced wiring. Can you imagine a year from now chasing down shorts and or worse a fire...
Save yourself, trade it in as soon as it clears the threshold of the dealers service bay at another dealership. Maybe the records will not have caught up to their database. Trade it in after the service dept has keft for the evening and onkyva salesperson is evaluating it...

RedRider0151

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am at a complete loss as to why ANY of you think the OP is somehow responsible for the motor damage. He brought his truck to the dealer for electrical issues and to have work done on the intake. Nothing the OP did has ANYTHING to do with the motor issue whatsoever! So he booger'd his wiring harness and paid 8 grand to have all the wiring redone...BOOM finished...how that has ANYTHING at all to do with the fact that a mechanic dropped loose parts into the intake is BEYOND me. I dont care if he had an aftermarket intake on it or not....only an IDIOT lays his nuts and bolts in a spot where they could fall into the intake in the first place. The internal motor damage is COMPLETELY on the incompetence of the mechanic and is the dealers responsibility to repair....I would ABSOLUTELY be looking at a lawyer and pushing for the whole thing to be replaced. THe OP never did a single thing to affect the reliability of his motor.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I still think 8 grand for the wiring is pretty high. Would like to hear how the op made out with engine and dealer.