Def fluid pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BikerT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummings
Have the dreaded def fluid countdown going on, Took to dealer, was told needed new pump, $4000 cost. I brought truck home. I was told by someone that because of so many codes showing, P202a, 203, 204 205, to check electrical because it could be an electrical issue, sounds like an entire harness unplugged. I took pump cover off and pulled connection to pump and it was extremely wet inside. Now I am wondering if this could have just shorted out.

I will dry it completely, but hope someone can tell me what fuses etc I might need to check.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sorry you are having problems with that problematic DEF system.

Dry that connector out really well. Clear the codes by disconnecting the negative side of your battery for at least 30 minutes. This will perform a PCM reset.

There should only be one fuse for the DEF pump circuit. All your codes are related to the PCM not receiving signals from the DEF system. Here's what the PCM recorded as communication/out of range faults:

P202a is the def tank heater.
P203a/e is the def tank level sensor
P204a is the DEF liquid dosing control circuit
P205a is the DEF tank temperature sensor

Good luck. Let us know how things go.

OBTW, what is a "cummings" ?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think a Cummings is a bird of some kind .

OP
OP
B

BikerT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummings
ok, an update and a few questions, I REALLY need some help. I cleaned and dried plug, and as suggested, removed both negative battery terminals for several hours. Well, after all that, when started, same display, limp mode in 13 miles.

First question, why did nothing reset, not even radio after 3 hours of battery being disconnected? Capacitors that good? But then I read it is not good to disconnect battery.

My next question is if it had been a problem with plug only and cleaning fixed it, wouldn't warning go off on it's own?

I still don't know if it's anything electrical or really the $1000 pump. All I know is my wife and I still have no truck to drive.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My Cummins threw a Service DEF message a couple years ago. The fix was DEF fluid had crystalized on the pumps pickup not letting DEF flow.

As far as a new pump, I'd try to find one at a salvage yard. Or, anyone with a deleted truck has one not being used.

Paul p Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Sub-zero temps here in Central Alaska really create DEF nightmares. Waiting for a backordered pump now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye