Diesel or Gas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbgarrison6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm probably going to pull the trigger on another truck. I currently have a 2017 ram 2500 6.4 hemi. We are upgrading to a 5'ver, and this truck won't pull it. The 5'ver we are looking at weighs at around 14000 gross. Any thoughts on 2500 or 3500? Gas or diesel? I know alot of the newer gas ones have a higher tow capacity, as well as a higher payload. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For sure get the 3500. No reason to take the chance on being legally overloaded when you know going in that you would be with a 2500.

Gas vs diesel in an HD is a huge can of worms. I've owned both and I feel the diesel is worth it. But I live in very hilly country here in the Ozarks and usually make at least one trip to the Rockies every year. The diesel delivers the towing experience I'm after, calm, cool and collected.

You will often hear people put the cost of the Cummins option as an argument against them. They act like that money is just gone. But the truth is that the diesel option holds it value over time better than the rest of the truck. Every diesel truck I've ever sold or traded returned the full original sticker price of the motor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jbgarrison6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What about a 3500 gas? Would that pull something around 12 - 13k lb? I know they have a larger payload capacity..something like 7k lb?

OP
OP
J

Jbgarrison6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm just thinking on the fuel cost. I would hate to see those diesel prices jump up to 5$ or more. You never know.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Gasoline 1 tons are a very under-utilized offering for private owners. Massive payload capacity and much less cost of ownership than the diesels. Very popular with the fleet guys though. They buy 4500/5500 gassers pretty often.

My next one is almost certainly going to be a gasoline dually.

You sacrifice the ability to rip up mountain passes at 75mph dragging a 40' 5th wheel, but is that REALLY worth the extra ~$12k and potential massive repair costs of a diesel??? Only you can decide, but for me it ain't worth it.

I know a few people who have / had 1 ton gassers and they all lasted the better part of forever.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'm just thinking on the fuel cost. I would hate to see those diesel prices jump up to 5$ or more. You never know.
Diesel prices spiked here, BUT so did gas prices. The spread is currently about $.50. Given that I was averaging 15 in my Wagon (6.4 w/4.10's) and that I'm currently averaging 22 in the CTD (6.7 w/3.73's)...That $.50 difference takes care of itself. Just did the math and the Wagon was costing me $0.26/mile, the CTD is costing me $0.20/mile. Over the 400 miles MAX I could go in the Wagon, that's $24 less every tank I'm spending, really. Coupled with the higher range (estimated 600+ miles from full), and I'm getting the better end of the deal. Granted, I drive a lot more than most, so I'll actually make up the difference in price of the diesel. Most won't.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
It really depends on how often you're gonna pull the 5'er and how far. There's no arguing that a 3500 dually Cummins will pull it easier and be more relaxed vs the Hemi but if you're only towing a couple times a year and/or not a long distance, I'd go Hemi just for the lesser maintenance/repair costs. If you're on the road with that load all the time, the Cummins is the way to go.

We debated that very fact when planning to order a new dually at work. We decided on a Cummins dually because we tow 8-14k pound trailers all over the country 2-4 times a month from Feb-Nov, the more relaxed towing experience won out. Ownership cost is certainly a little higher between fuel and maintenance, but me and my guys are on the road so much, the Cummins is much more pleasant.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Gasoline 1 tons are a very under-utilized offering for private owners. Massive payload capacity and much less cost of ownership than the diesels. Very popular with the fleet guys though. They buy 4500/5500 gassers pretty often.

You sacrifice the ability to rip up mountain passes at 75mph dragging a 40' 5th wheel, but is that REALLY worth the extra ~$12k and potential massive repair costs of a diesel??? Only you can decide, but for me it ain't worth it.

I know a few people who have / had 1 ton gassers and they all lasted the better part of forever.
If anyone is ripping through the mountains towing anything of any weight at 75 MPH, they're going to kill someone.

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
if you can afford the diesel then just get the diesel. I too tow quite a bit through the rocky mountains and never have flat ground. The diesel up hills and the exhaust brake down them is just too easy and comfortable to not want to go that route.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
If you’re upgrading now who’s to say you and the family won’t want to upgrade again down the road. I would get a one ton diesel if your sticking with Ram. There is a gas engine that will do fine with that weight/camper but it’s not in a Ram. And you wouldn’t have any room for upgrading to a bigger unit later.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Diesel is the way.
I cannot afford not to have it.

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
14K lbs. 5th wheel I would opt for the 3500 with the Cummins. I recently bought a Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 260RD, light weight 5'ver and it weighs a little over 7600 lbs., and is about perfect towing for the 6.4L Hemi. With the Hemi you will be in the upper RPM range going up hills trying to get it up to speed/speed limit.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
If you don't need a truck buy a car. If you need a truck, buy a diesel. Diesels get better mileage. They last longer, and they pull better. $10k is nothing over the long term. My last truck a Ford 7.3 cost $35k and I sold for $16k after 20 years.

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
What about a 3500 gas? Would that pull something around 12 - 13k lb? I know they have a larger payload capacity..something like 7k lb?
I have the 3500 gasser and it has a 6292 lbs payload and 13792 lbs towing capacity.....like I said in my other post, I'm happy towing a 7600 lbs 5'ver. Anything more than 10k lbs, I don't think I would feel too comfortable doing anything over that. I made the dumb decision to get 6 yards of pea gravel and used my brothers 14ft high side dump trailer. I figured it was almost 20k lbs loaded out....I will never do that again.....

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

Why is gasser less cost of ownership? Are you basing that on the actual cost of the Cummins or maintenance?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
14K lbs. 5th wheel I would opt for the 3500 with the Cummins. I recently bought a Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 260RD, light weight 5'ver and it weighs a little over 7600 lbs., and is about perfect towing for the 6.4L Hemi. With the Hemi you will be in the upper RPM range going up hills trying to get it up to speed/speed limit.

Hey, you got damn near exactly what I got except I got a Rockwood this summer!