Default Trading in 14 for 15/16 - Upgrade Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Possibly trading in my 14 big horn on a 15/16 big horn. Same 5.7L / 8sp but 3.92 rear vs 3.21 (and LSD I believe)
I have a vararam intake, mufflex and Diablo I1000 DCX with HemiFever tune.
I assume the vararam will fit and I can send the Diablo to get it re-programmed for my truck (or sell it to a buddy with a 15 and get the I2) correct? Are there any issues with programming the 16's yet? Has anyone worked out the transmission tunes for the 8sp's yet?
Thanks!

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Possibly trading in my 14 big horn on a 15/16 big horn. Same 5.7L / 8sp but 3.92 rear vs 3.21 (and LSD I believe)
I have a vararam intake, mufflex and Diablo I1000 DCX with HemiFever tune.
I assume the vararam will fit and I can send the Diablo to get it re-programmed for my truck (or sell it to a buddy with a 15 and get the I2) correct? Are there any issues with programming the 16's yet? Has anyone worked out the transmission tunes for the 8sp's yet?
Thanks!
You should be able to still use the intune but you will need to have the pcm unlocked when that becomes available, you won't need to send the tuner in. No one has tuned the 8 speed transmissions yet that I'm aware of.

OP
OP
TDevil

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So if I need a new PCM and get the I2, I can use the canned tunes and re-flash the PCM when taking it in for service (annoying, but I think I might actually like the idea the dealer can't tell I tune the truck, as I believe they can now.)
Right now I have a HemiFever tune I love. I guess I'll have to shoot Moe's a message and see what they've done on the 2016's so far.
Thanks guys!

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Unfortunately, there is not any tuning for the 2016 trucks yet. I assume it will be the same as it is for the 2015's though where you would just need to purchase an unlocked PCM from Diablo so that you can use your existing InTune DCX.

I am not aware of any intake or exhaust changes for the 2016 models, so the intake and Mufflex kit should still work fine.

OP
OP
TDevil

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks. Have you guys done anything with the new i2 programmers? Are they any faster / better? I had an SCT tuner for my 05 Ranger and it seemed to program in 2-3 minutes, where the InTune DCX seems to take 15 minutes or more. I've assumed it was more to do with the sheer amount of data being exchanged, but aside from being to program more than 1 vehicle, does the i2 have any benefit for us Ram / HemiFever guys?

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I would just have the gears installed. A lot of extra cost for tuning a 2015+ and I don't know the extra PCM and warranty mileage works.

OP
OP
TDevil

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Swapping gears is a $2k - $3k investment. I'll also be getting a few other options I didn't know I wanted til I saw them, like dual zone / auto climate and maybe a sun roof.

jester139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately, there is not any tuning for the 2016 trucks yet. I assume it will be the same as it is for the 2015's though where you would just need to purchase an unlocked PCM from Diablo so that you can use your existing InTune DCX.

I am not aware of any intake or exhaust changes for the 2016 models, so the intake and Mufflex kit should still work fine.

New to the forum, but not RAM's. I had a 2013 and just picked up my 2016 as I wanted 8 speed and 3.92's for my 35's and Colorado mountains.

I have a Bully Dog Triple Dog GT Tuner (49-State Legal) that is most likely a craigslist victim after reading about the PCM issues - is this correct? I also have a K&N intake I plan on swapping (the MAF connector key way has been changed... - check this before you pull out your intake).

Also - My Corsa exhaust sounds great except it has a major issue dealing with the fuel saving method they now use and sounds like a big back pressure issue (my daughter thinks my truck farts now). Very irritating. Is the setting to gear 8 the only work around for this? Corsa has no response other than they know about it, no fix.

Thanks in advance guys.

Rob

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Swapping gears is a $2k - $3k investment. I'll also be getting a few other options I didn't know I wanted til I saw them, like dual zone / auto climate and maybe a sun roof.

You can get a sunroof in a big horn now.

jester139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One very cool addition they made to the 16 is the cell phone holder in the storage area where the shifter used to be. It is a rubber flap with cut-outs for power cables that allows your phone to sit upright.

Sounds small, but smart and very convenient. Good work Ram!

CF_Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
One very cool addition they made to the 16 is the cell phone holder in the storage area where the shifter used to be. It is a rubber flap with cut-outs for power cables that allows your phone to sit upright.

This cellphone holder is very convenient! It will easily fit my iPhone 6 Plus and my girlfriend's iPhone 6 (both with otter box's) side by side. even has cut outs in the bottom for chargers. I haven't tried but I think I could fit two iPhone 6 Plus' side by side.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
New to the forum, but not RAM's. I had a 2013 and just picked up my 2016 as I wanted 8 speed and 3.92's for my 35's and Colorado mountains.

I have a Bully Dog Triple Dog GT Tuner (49-State Legal) that is most likely a craigslist victim after reading about the PCM issues - is this correct? I also have a K&N intake I plan on swapping (the MAF connector key way has been changed... - check this before you pull out your intake).

Also - My Corsa exhaust sounds great except it has a major issue dealing with the fuel saving method they now use and sounds like a big back pressure issue (my daughter thinks my truck farts now). Very irritating. Is the setting to gear 8 the only work around for this? Corsa has no response other than they know about it, no fix.

Thanks in advance guys.

Rob

Are you referring to the MDS on the truck where it uses cylinder shutdown on level and decline HWY driving?

OP
OP
TDevil

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

I saw this in the new Rams I test drove. Very nice addition. I was never a fan of the "business crd holder" really. My only issue is I use a small mount on the flat spot above the vents of the center console / radio. It sits my phone at the right eye level. The one in the new Rams is fine as a dock, but not overly useful for GPS / seeing the screen. Also, it seemed to bury the 12v jack a bit, making it a little less convenient to access.
You can see it here in the pic of the Rebel. The material of the "cradle" is a flexible plastic, so it kind of hugs / pins your phone into position.

2016-Ram-1500-Rebel-Interior.jpg

Also, they started removing the black pillar tape from the 2016's. Unrelated but interesting update.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I wonder if we could buy a new insert with this feature for say a 13-15 tray looks the same.:naughty: