2015 7" premium instrument cluster upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wirierplane2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
First off, I know I am a few years late to the party! Secondly, I actually just purchased a 2015 2500 Big Horn diesel which now allows me to join the Diesel Ram family (coming from a Tundra) so I am trying to learn and discover as much as I can. I have been reading quite a few different forums and posts around upgrading the instrument cluster from the default 3.5" to the 7" premium one, but I had a few questions that I haven't been able to find the answers too.

Finding a used diesel one is not easy, but I found one for $1,200 from Infotainment (2013-2018 Ram 1500 Speedometer EVIC Instrument Panel Cluster), but I really don't want to spend that much if I don't have to. I have seen on some other forums and posts that you can get ones from junk yards for cheaper, like $300 to $500 (assuming you can find them), but the cluster would need to be programmed to match current information (i.e., odometer, hours, etc.).

I also found on one of the sites that you can download an app (alphaobd) and pair with an obdlink mx+ Bluetooth obd2 reader and make the changes yourself. The app and OBD reader together cost about $180 so even if I found a premium cluster for $500, I would still be saving almost 50% from say going through infotainment.

For those that have gone the route of junk yard searching, have you had any issues with it once it has been re-programmed and secondly, has anyone tried programming it themselves and how successful was it? For those that didn't go with a junk yard or someone selling on the forums, any good resources to pick one up?

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
W

wirierplane2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Awesome! Did you have the opinion to have it programmed when you bought it or did you pay someone to program it for you or did you do it yourself?

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Awesome! Did you have the opinion to have it programmed when you bought it or did you pay someone to program it for you or did you do it yourself?
I haven’t installed it yet but I’m doing it myself with alpha obd

I don’t think junkyards will do that for you

OP
OP
W

wirierplane2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I haven’t installed it yet but I’m doing it myself with alpha obd

I don’t think junkyards will do that for you
That's awesome, I'm excited to hear how it goes for you! When do you plan on programming and installing it?

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You can purchase one from eBay and many of them will program the mileage and hours for you. Unless things have changed in the last couple of months. Diesels may be harder to find but I have seen them on there. I just went thru this with my 2015 gas truck. You just tell them the mileage you have now before they ship it to you. I’m surprised your big horn didn’t come with the premium cluster from the factory.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
First off, I know I am a few years late to the party! Secondly, I actually just purchased a 2015 2500 Big Horn diesel which now allows me to join the Diesel Ram family (coming from a Tundra) so I am trying to learn and discover as much as I can. I have been reading quite a few different forums and posts around upgrading the instrument cluster from the default 3.5" to the 7" premium one, but I had a few questions that I haven't been able to find the answers too.

Finding a used diesel one is not easy, but I found one for $1,200 from Infotainment (2013-2018 Ram 1500 Speedometer EVIC Instrument Panel Cluster), but I really don't want to spend that much if I don't have to. I have seen on some other forums and posts that you can get ones from junk yards for cheaper, like $300 to $500 (assuming you can find them), but the cluster would need to be programmed to match current information (i.e., odometer, hours, etc.).

I also found on one of the sites that you can download an app (alphaobd) and pair with an obdlink mx+ Bluetooth obd2 reader and make the changes yourself. The app and OBD reader together cost about $180 so even if I found a premium cluster for $500, I would still be saving almost 50% from say going through infotainment.

For those that have gone the route of junk yard searching, have you had any issues with it once it has been re-programmed and secondly, has anyone tried programming it themselves and how successful was it? For those that didn't go with a junk yard or someone selling on the forums, any good resources to pick one up?

Thanks in advance!
Do it yourself using the tools you just mentioned. The key to getting one from a salvage yard is to call them before infotainment does to get the cluster first. You can get 7" clusters for as little as $165 and I wouldn't spend more than $350 personally.

OP
OP
W

wirierplane2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You can purchase one from eBay and many of them will program the mileage and hours for you. Unless things have changed in the last couple of months. Diesels may be harder to find but I have seen them on there. I just went thru this with my 2015 gas truck. You just tell them the mileage you have now before they ship it to you. I’m surprised your big horn didn’t come with the premium cluster from the factory.
Yeah, I was a little surprised as well, oh well! Thanks for info on watching ebay! Any sellers you have come across that you would recommend staying away from?

OP
OP
W

wirierplane2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Do it yourself using the tools you just mentioned. The key to getting one from a salvage yard is to call them before infotainment does to get the cluster first. You can get 7" clusters for as little as $165 and I wouldn't spend more than $350 personally.
Awesome! Sounds like a need to make a few calls around my area to see what I can find!

OP
OP
W

wirierplane2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have heard that if I get a premium evic from a 2013 the tpms won't work for my 2015. Has anyone heard or experienced this? Would it be best to get off of specifically a 2015 or would a 2014 or 2016 work with the tpms on the '15?

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah, I was a little surprised as well, oh well! Thanks for info on watching ebay! Any sellers you have come across that you would recommend staying away from?
I don’t know of any to stay away from personally. I just found one that programmed the mileage and had mostly good feedback.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have heard that if I get a premium evic from a 2013 the tpms won't work for my 2015. Has anyone heard or experienced this? Would it be best to get off of specifically a 2015 or would a 2014 or 2016 work with the tpms on the '15?
I may be wrong but I think it won’t work if you had a 2013 and put a 2015 evic in then it won’t read the tpms. Has to do with the way the pcm communicates with the tpms system. I’m sure someone will chime in and say for sure. I just bought one from the same year so I never had a thought it wouldn’t work. I’m happy I did it for sure because of the customization and better lay out all around.

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I just got mine after looking on car-part.com. Found an 7in Cluster from a 2016 longhorn from an auto salvage in FL. was Quoted $165+$50 freight and I jumped right on it. Took a week shipped to WA and then another 20 minutes for me to uninstall old, install new, program with Alfa and get all the goodness.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The diesels seem to be more expensive then the gas ones. I guess because of availability. Also I think the 3.0 and 6.7 will be the same

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
get a 2014 or newer EVIC, if it comes out of a Heavy Duty Ram, 2013 evics i believe are completely different

I have no clue if an EVIC out of a eco-diesel will work
I don't think it will, different transmissions

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you do it yourself? I have Alfa and maybe I should be doing this.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
How do you do it yourself? I have Alfa and maybe I should be doing this.

yomanne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome! Sounds like a need to make a few calls around my area to see what I can find!
A couple months ago I upgraded the 3.5" cluster in my recently acquired 2014 Ram 1500. I bought a Premium 7" cluster on Ebay from the "Instrument Cluster Store". Very happy with their service and the quality of the panel. Prices range all over the place, but unless you are really lucky, it's more of "you get what you pay for". Some of the lower priced panels have lots of blemishes and scratches on the screen or broken mounting tabs. I paid $407 for a panel out of a 2018 Ram 2500/3500 with over 100,000 miles on it. It's not uncommon to see prices over $800. Just be patient until the right one comes along.

The panel is incredibly easy to swap out and also easy to program if you have alphaobd. I updated the odometer reading (my truck only had 63,300 miles) and the hour readings. Just remember to connect to the "Instrument Panel" module instead of the "Body Computer" module where most all of the other settings and adjustments are done. You can also change the "start up" screen so it matches your vehicle. I changed mine to "RAM 1500" but there are over 20 different startup screens to choose from - again, using alphaobd to make the selection. There are numerous youtube videos explaining how to do the panel swap and programming.

2022-04-07-06.jpg

2022-04-07-36.jpg

2022-04-07-56.jpg