Dethloff skid plate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Just ordered one, no the wait time.....anyone put one on? Is it difficult?

Bock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I put one on, it wasn't to bad, the driver side front is the hardest the two mounting bolts attach to the rear engine mount and you need to use a open end wrench, hard to see when you are lying on your back. I took it up to a friends shop to get them in.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L

The front driver side mount can be a PITA. Hope you have long arms and small hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1pieceatatime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I’m told that there are a couple of design tweaks coming that will make install easier... not sure when cut-in is.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hard to explain, but the tubes that come down in the front are two pieces and need to be bolted together, I imagine to keep it from being too awkward of a shape for shipping. Directions say to put wax in there to keep water out of the tubes and to keep them from rusting. I’m going to go one step farther and wrap that section of bars in water proof tape from Lowe’s. Can’t be too careful!

OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
In my opinion it doesnt matter, I don't think it will reduce much the benefit out weighs the risk.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A little off topic, but I sure wish Dethloff would make a tranny skid plate for us Gen 4 1500 owners!

TXCOMT

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
A little off topic, but I sure wish Dethloff would make a tranny skid plate for us Gen 4 1500 owners!

TXCOMT

Email Marcus and tell him so. He can’t make what he doesn’t know there’s demand for.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
how much does this reduce clearance?

On the 2014+ trucks, it doesn’t hang any lower than the radius arms, so in terms of going over ledges or changes in slope, you don’t lose anything.

No reason not to get this if you’re at all worried about crunching the trans oil pan or exhaust crossover.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Reduce clearance? Question is, would you rather use your pan as a skid plate or the new skid?

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Email Marcus and tell him so. He can’t make what he doesn’t know there’s demand for.

Perhaps so...I'd be surprised if he didn't know about the lack of options, though; plenty of 1500s being wheeled around (or all they all bro-dozers?) and most likely several have busted tranny pans doing so.

TXCOMT

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Perhaps so...I'd be surprised if he didn't know about the lack of options, though; plenty of 1500s being wheeled around (or all they all bro-dozers?) and most likely several have busted tranny pans doing so.

TXCOMT

He’s active in the PW/HD Ram truck off-roading community. The challenges that 1500 owners face probably aren’t on his radar. Not saying this would make his priority list if you’re the only one asking him for it, but if NOBODY is asking him for it, he definitely won’t make it.

MDethloff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey guys, I wanted to pop in here and give a little update and get some feedback!

The skid plate does reduce clearance a little, right in the center of the truck. However in the times I have seen the skid plate get hit, usually if the skid wasn't there then the exhaust crossover pipe would have been smacked or smashed up instead. That gets hit and squished all the time, so I think it's worth it for the little bit of decreased clearance!

The driver side front mounts on the skid plates suck but it is a one-time deal. I've had customers say total install took 15 minutes, but usually you spend about that much time on those two bolts. Everything else is easy. The instruction manual is meant to help out a lot but those bolts can be tough to get to.

To make install easier, and tackle an occasional vibration issue that's popped up with a few trucks (the 16+ trucks have larger motor mounts than the 14-15's and sometimes the metal portion can touch the fasteners, causing a vibration in the cab) I am swapping the flanged locknuts out of that mount in favor of a machined nut plate with both holes in it. You won't need to insert a wrench in there any more to hold the nut, should have lots of clearance from the motor mount on even the odd truck that sits towards the rear, and should be way easier to get both bolts through now that the plate is attaching to both! This change should be good to go in this very next production of skid plates, and for those who already have orders in but don't have one yet, you'll be getting this update as well. If anyone already has a skid plate but hasn't installed it yet, or if you are removing and reinstalling yours off in the future, shoot me an email and I'll send you the updated nut plate.

In regards to the 1500 skid plates, I have been contacted by several guys and I would LOVE to make some protection for you guys! I have not had access to a 1500 locally or I'd be all over it. If anyone has a Ram 1500 4x4 (especially a Rebel) from the 18 & older gen or the 19-present gen in the Portland, OR area that's willing to let me pull some dimensions and do test fitment on your truck I'd be stoked to talk with you!

Have you guys had anything else that's been a pain with the skid plates? The legs are separated for shipping as you guessed. Right now with them removed they fall within all the normal shipping guidelines, but if I left the legs solid they would be in the oversize category and shipping would be $150+, just not acceptable for what they are!

Marcus Dethloff
Dethloff Manufacturing
[email protected]

OP
OP
Meister

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Heck ya I'm excited to get mine. Waiting is ok due to poor weather.

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any pictures of the installed skids? I ran Budbuilts on my Yotas and they were top notch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45