Diagnostic Codes on '23 Ram 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewEnglander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The master technician has said that the fix is transmission replacement. This 1 ton has just over 5000 miles on it, and I haven't even towed. The transmissions are back ordered, date to be determined. Is it unreasonable to ask for a factory buyback or vehicle swap? I would prefer not to drive on a replacement unit of the same transmission, and risk this problem out of warranty. Do any of you gentlemen (or ladies) have any idea what I could expect as a remedy

Rsp. Submitted
image000000.jpgimage000001.jpg

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
What did Ram dealership have to say about this? What is the reason given to for your problems? Also do you have the Aisin or rfe 68 transmission as you did not give much info as too what your problem(s)...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I would prefer not to drive on a replacement unit of the same transmission, and risk this problem out of warranty.
This is why there's a warranty on new vehicles and the fact it failed so quick there was something wrong rii from the start. Sounds like they're replacing your 68 RFE transmission with a new one, so what's the problem.
The 68RFE is a fairly reliable transmission provided you don't start tuning the Cummins for more HP/torque. My buddy put almost 200K on his and he towed a 16K lbs fiver.
If you really don't want "drive on a replacement unit of the same transmission", then sell the truck and take a roll of the dice with another manufacturer because the 68RFE transmission is going back in yours.
I don't get this mentality that the factory installed part is superior in some way to the replacement. What's installed at the factory and the replacement parts are built at the same plant, just one doesn't get packed in a box.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Lemon law says 30 days.

Myself, I’d give them a choice either buy it back, or provide me a loaner and extend the warranty.

If the whole transmission is replaced, I wouldn’t have too many long term worries. But neither would I agree to the clock running down on my warranty while it’s parked at the dealer waiting.

OP
OP
NewEnglander

NewEnglander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Travelin Ram,

Thank you for taking the time to address the question. This is helpful

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Has the dealer looked at the transmission? P0944 simply indicates loss of pressure but does not indicate why pressure was lost. I know it is is new vehicle but check the fluid level first thing. Next the pan will need to be dropped. Check both filters particularly the main filter. If the outlet of it is not firmly seated in the pump housing or the seal is damaged the pump will lose prime and not pump. Also, the filter housing needs to be checked for cracks which can also cause a loss of pump prime. Again, I know it is a new vehicle but sometimes these basic things get through the checks or just happen. If the fluid level is good and the filters are good, then yeah the trans has a serious issue.

Keep in mind if you go the NH Lemon law route the vehicle has to have been out of service for 30 business not calendar days. At that point, you can submit the demand for arbitration form to the MVAB. NH law requires the dealer to provide new car purchasers with the information about the NH Lemon law and the demand for arbitration form. Not sure on the length of time it takes the MVAB to hear a case or render a decision. The MVAB decision can be appealed to the Superior Court by either the manufacturer or the consumer. Once you file the demand for arbitration form, the manufacturer may halt any further work on the vehicle until the case is finally decided by either the MVAB or Superior Court. The procedure can take quite some time so be prepared and keep making your loan payments. Failure to make keep making the loan payments can cause you to lose lemon law protection.

Last edited: