Did leveling your truck really affect MPGs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troutman561

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have read the various threads on this subject but the answers are all over the place. I’d really like to level my 2017 but I do a lot of highway driving and don’t want to lose the efficiency I get on the highway. Has anyone actually hand calculated before and after leveling? I already don’t trust the in vehicle computer as it is 2mpg off what hand calculation showed so I don’t want to base opinion on that. Also, are there air bag options that allow a setting to be leveled for general driving and then a setting for going back to stock stance for highway driving that doesn’t cost thousands? Thanks in advance.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Science. Higher up means more air flow uhnder the truck thus causing a loss in efficiency. However, it won't be much. You lose a lot of your mpg by going with bug heavy tires. The higher and heavier you go the more you lose. Level with 33's won't really be That big of a deal.

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe 1 mpg lost when I did my last two. Not much more than that though.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
Upgrading your wheels and tires is the real mpg killer. Lol

LCACER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have read the various threads on this subject but the answers are all over the place. I’d really like to level my 2017 but I do a lot of highway driving and don’t want to lose the efficiency I get on the highway. Has anyone actually hand calculated before and after leveling? I already don’t trust the in vehicle computer as it is 2mpg off what hand calculation showed so I don’t want to base opinion on that. Also, are there air bag options that allow a setting to be leveled for general driving and then a setting for going back to stock stance for highway driving that doesn’t cost thousands? Thanks in advance.

I think the bigger/wider tires is what hurt my gas mileage.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I leveled my Rebel but kept the stock 285s. Just did a 2900 mile cross country trip. Got 18mpg hand calced the whole way.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I lost about 1mpg. Just as smidgen under that but too close to bother.
Replacing my tires cost me more than that.

Got 70K on the truck. probably 60K interstate driving.

Not really concerned with the lost of MPG that the level and tires cots due to much better traction and all around tire over OEM and the leveled look is worth every bit of the lost 1 mpg.

Besides got my mileage back just from finding a better gas station to buy my gas. couldnot believe the difference in mileage the gas stations I chose made.

never really kept track with 99 V-10 **** poor mileage.

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
I don't see any difference in my mpg after level.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Never had enough interstate driving before break in period to know. My in town driving stayed at 16 before and after tho.

Agreed. My in town driving stayed about the same. though my in town is mostly 40 mph and what true cit dwellers would call suburban driving.