Did the dealer scre up my order?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92GreenYJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey all,

So I need to vent a little bit here.

June 26th, went to the local dealership to place an order for a new Ram 1500. This is my first ever new vehicle purchase and I knew going in exactly what I wanted and also knew they would not have it on the lot and I would have to order it from Ram. For the amount of money I am spending, I am not willing to compromise and did not want to settle for a "close enough" truck off the dealer lot.

I told the sales guy all of this the minute he approached me on the lot as I got out of my 98. He said no problem, we can order it. He found a similar one on the lot for the test drive. Then we went inside to set it up. The sales manager comes over and of course wants me to buy something they have on the lot. I said no. I want what I want. They do the computer search, come back and say the truck I want doesn't exist. I say I know, that's why I want to order it.

I had in my hand the printout of exactly the truck I wanted that I put together on Rams website thru the build and price tool. I had handed this build sheet to the sales guy, then the sales manager, who took it back to the order department (finally after an hour) to have them enter the order. Again, this build sheet was line by line with every single option I wanted on the truck.

I put 2k down and the order is placed. I am given nothing but a receipt for my deposit. Fast forward two weeks and the sales guy tells me he has the build summary with the VON on it and the vin has been assigned. I can swing by and pick it up at my earliest convenience. So Saturday, July 18th I swing by on my way to work to get the sheet. Of course VOTS is down still so I can't track thru there. However there is a member on another forum that somehow can access the data and provides daily updates.

So I get to looking over the summary and notice that several options I had wanted do not appear to be listed.

My original build sheet from Rams website that I handed to the dealer read as follows:
Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 5'7" box
Black / diesel gray interior
Black clear coat paint
8 speed 8HP70
5.7l Hemi
Uconnect 8.4AN AM/FM/BT/ACCESS/NAV
Premium cloth bucket seats
Protection group (tow hooks and skid plates)
Remote start and security group
Luxury group
Trailer tow mirror and brake control group
Rear camera and park assist group
3.92 rear axle ratio
20x9 polished aluminum wheels
OWL AS tires
32 gallon fuel tank
rear window defroster
Spray-In Bedliner
RamBox cargo management system
Power sunroof
9 amplified speakers with subwoofer

The dealerships order summary form I was given reads:
1500 SLT crew cab 4x4 with 5'7" box
Customer proffered package 26Z (research says this is the Big Horn Trim package)
5.7l Hemi
8 speed auto
Black clear coat
Premium cloth bucket seats
Diesel gray interior
Park view rear back up camera
50 state emissions
Power sunroof
3.92 rear axle ratio
Comfort group (heated seats and steering wheel)
Luxury group
RamBox cargo management system
5 additional gallons of gas (guessing this is 32 gallon tank)

And that's it.

So in short, I do not see any of the below listed on the order summary:
Uconnect 8.4AN
Protection group
Remote start and security group
Trailer tow mirror and brake control group
Rear window defroster
Spray-In Bedliner
9 amplified speakers with subwoofer.

Also the comfort group was NOT on the original build sheet I handed them. The member I spoke of on the other forum has verified this is what shows thru Ram as well. Obviously I am not happy right now. According to tracking the truck is scheduled to be built this Friday, July 25th. However from the looks of this, it's missing many of the options I wanted installed on the truck. I have already sent my salesman a strongly worded email telling him flat out that if everything I wanted is not on the truck I will not be accepting it. Hopefully he is even now verifying with whoever he has to verify with that the summary I was given was only a short list and does not show everything I ordered.

So as I am waiting to hear back from the sales guy, what would you all do in this situation? It's already been about a month since I placed the order. There are a few other dealerships in the area I can take my business to. Obviously I will wait to hear from the sales guy but my confidence is shaken right now.

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have never given a deposit to order a new vehicle but maybe things are different these days.

If it ain't right and you have it in writing you can refuse the truck and get your deposit back. Stay on top of it and don't stop nagging your salesman until you get a confirmation on the build sheet.

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
If it ain't right and you have it in writing you can refuse the truck and get your deposit back. Stay on top of it and don't stop nagging your salesman until you get a confirmation on the build sheet.

x2

If you have it in writing, don't let the salesman/sales manager/whoever the **** they bring out from the back room talk you into buying something you didn't order. You're the boss, put your big boy pants on and tell them to get it right.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
When I ordered mine the sales manager gave me the build sheet right away. I put a $500 deposit on the order with the balance to pay on delivery. Was supposed to be 8-13 weeks but mine came in after 5 weeks

OP
OP

92GreenYJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah that's the thing. The truck hasn't gone to assembly yet. I was given nothing but a receipt for my deposit the day I ordered. If I had been given the order summary sooner I would have noticed the missing options sooner. Since the truck has not been built yet I am hoping there is still time to correct the order even if it does push the truck back a few days. Still awaiting a response from my sales guy. I've emailed and texted him and still haven't heard back. Going to call him on my lunch break if he doesn't get back to me soon. I did flat out tell him in the email that I would not accept the truck if it was not exactly what I ordered on delivery and I would take my money to another local dealership instead. Hoping that gets him motivated.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
If you have to call due to his lack of follow-up, then speak with the sales manager or general manager, and tell them so. If at all possible, go in person.

OP
OP

92GreenYJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That's the other thing. He wanted me to go in today to talk to "his truck guy" but I am working all day today and tomorow. Earliest I could go over there is Wednesday. Since the truck is in D1 and set to be built any time now I thought it better to ask him to get off his ass and verify himself what's going on so if it's not right he can hopefully change it before it goes down the line.

I'm seriously half tempted to just cancel the order, get my deposit back and just take my business to another dealer. I was really hoping to get the new truck before my wife gives birth to our first child. My 98 quad cab doesn't have much space for a car seat. But I'm not gonna settle for less than what I want either.

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
If the truck isn't built yet, I would go and get my deposit back . go to another dealer that knows what they are doing.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
big horn comes default with remote start.. but the rest are options they need to check.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You need action now man before they start building it. At this point tell them you will be there on Wednesday. ..if they don't have everything you want in writing, cancel the order and get a full refund.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i just bought my truck from Huntington beach dodge... decent dealership/ hunter dodge is good though..

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
cali sucks for buying rams.. only reason i bought in state was i payed the price i wanted to pay. u can get a ram for at least 8k back of msrp. the dealership will feed u a bunch of bs.. but in the end they can sell it to u for 8k bck easy.. look at dennis dillon in idaho or even Salt Lake Valley Dealership | Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram in salt lake. i would find a truck really close to what u want, and walk into that dealership.. tell them u wanna order a truck.. but u may settle for something on the lot if the price is right. they would much rather sell u something then order it, even if they dont make a ton of money off it. shop around... they money u save by doing some of the options later... will pay for those and some really nice upgrades.. i know that's not what ya wanna hear.. but best advise i can give ya

missing ur 20's too .. go get ur money back or call chrysler corp.

OP
OP

92GreenYJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok, so basically I got pretty fed up and pissed off that the sales guy didn't bother to look into any of my concerns today. His only response was "see you wed" despite me flat out telling him the truck is scheduled to be built this week and I wanted to know for sure it would be correct. He blew me off again. So I got onto the dealers website and found the General Managers email address. Sent the GM a very long and detailed email of everything his salesman and sales manager have done and not done. Expressed my concerns that the truck would be built missing half of the options that I specified were to be on it and the fact that his sales staff just don't seem to care or have any sense of urgency to make sure everything is right on this large cash purchase. I am imagining I will be getting a call from him tomorow. At this point I am waiting to see what he has to say for his sales staff and what if anything he will do to make sure I get the truck I want and originally ordered with everything I want installed on it from the factory.

If I don't like his answer, I will be going over there on Wednesday alright, but only to get my deposit refunded in full. I am not tied to this dealership. There are at least two others I know of within a 20 minute drive of my home, probably more. I went to this one because it was the closest to my house and I was nearby doing other errands the day we went there. Only problem is now I'm really going to have to wait a good long while for a new truck. Pretty sure they stopped taking them for the 2014s and from what I've read, won't start taking orders for the 2015s til sometime in august and they won't be built until October.

Guts~n~Glory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Some of what you wanted maybe part of other things you ordered for instance the spray in bed liner .... you ordered the Ram Boxes those come with the Sprayed in Bed Liner included as part of the Ram Box Package....

Last edited:

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If it's in D1 status, it's too late to change anything...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

OP
OP

92GreenYJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
UPDATE:

So I got a phone call from the GM of the dealership this morning. He first apologized for the confusion and said he would be looking into what went wrong in his ordering department. Said he also could not understand how so many items were wrong and missing on the order. He told me of course he wants my business and would like the opportunity to try and correct the issue and get me the truck that I want and that I had ordered. He asked me what was missing and incorrect so I ran down the list. Luckily I noticed yet another error this morning. So he now has the list of the mistakes and options that were left out and he is going to see what he can do to either correct the truck already on order, or push thru a new order with the correct options and features on it. He will be emailing me the information shortly as to what he can do to correct the mistake. He then said if it's not to my liking he will of course refund my deposit.

So once again I am in a bit of a catch 22 situation. I really do not want to have to wait another 4 months or so to get a 2015. My baby girl is due to join us at the end of August and I really do want and need the larger, safer vehicle before she arrives. However I am still highly displeased with the level of incompetence this dealership has exhibited during this process.

BlkXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well. Guess I'll be getting a 2015 and ordering from a different dealership.

Did something else happen? Did he end up saying he can't fix the error?

From how it seems most of what went wrong seems to lay at fault with the salesperson as far as the customer service goes.

I know it sucks and you're stressed about needing the vehicle for your upcoming child, but I sure as hell would not have put a deposit down without seeing the build sheet for what they ordered.

You contacted the GM and the gm said they would try and have your options added to the current one being built, or start a new order asap with the right options.

You sent an email to the GM last night, and he called you this morning....your rant now seems like overkill, at least based on the information you provided.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This is just horrible timing. Your truck is too far along to change anything and the order boards are closed for 2014. Only option at this point is find something in stock somewhere that fits your needs or wait to order a 2015. Neither option seems like it's good for you. Really sucks that the dealer screwed up this bad!

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Did something else happen? Did he end up saying he can't fix the error?
You can't change anything after it hits D1 status. They couldn't even change my truck from two tone to monotone. They sure as hell aren't going to allow a whole list of changes.