Did they fix the lifters on newer 4th Gens?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

This is my 19, 6.4. This particular episode lasted around 5 minutes. 4400 miles on the clock when this occurred.

My 16 did it too, but never this long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ScrubsR1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

This is my 19, 6.4. This particular episode lasted around 5 minutes. 4400 miles on the clock when this occurred.

That's terrible. What's your dealer doing to address this problem?

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L

Oh wow that's a loud tick....

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Sounds like an aluminum head K car

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's terrible. What's your dealer doing to address this problem?

Document it and move on. “Chrysler doesn’t have a fix” right now, and “putting new lifters in won’t fix the problem”

I agree with the dealer. I’m documenting every occurrence and will start a paper trail with the dealer. We’ll see where it goes from there.

JJC2740

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 17 1500 is back in shop for loud valves and lifters. Came out of service under warranty work after 5 weeks. Now two weeks later noise is bad again and going back in. Probably looking to dump it after this extended repair. Only positive note. Chrysler Care will make 2 payments for almost what will amount to 8-10 weeks without truck. 50.000 miles on it.

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man, it just seems like one after another and another with these things. Sad to hear all these bad stories.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
[QUOTEPosted By: Shaneo on 07/11/18 04:36pm

I don't post a whole bunch, really enjoy reading through the forums though. This particular topic got my blood pumping :)

I have a 2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi w/ 4.10 rear end. All oil changes have been through the dealer along with other maintenance items. I am on my THIRD set of lifters. Each time replacing cams and all lifters. The dealership has never been able to pinpoint the specific cause of the problem.. I will be taking it in again during the August/Sept. time frame because the rattling has returned. I will have discussions with the dealer on what can be done through Ram, I don't have high expectations they will be willing to help though.

I am not towing heavy and it is a daily driver truck. I have right about 53,000 miles....... I 'm counting down the days until I can just leave this truck at the dealership and drive a Duramax home.]
[/QUOTE]
good luck on that 'duramax', of the five folks I know who went with GM all five have had no end of problems with that motor !!!! Five for five ain't good odds.....Wonder?? Since Ford has had their range, large range of problems with their crap diesel and gas motors wonder if anyone makes a 'clean' engine anymore???

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD

Holy crap that sounds like an air compressor! Had you changed out the factory fill yet?

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 15 has a startup noise from time to time that sounds like what WhiteStar has posted. I've done multiple UOAs to see if there's excessive wear but there is not. Other than being annoying, it doesn't appear to have an effect.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Holy crap that sounds like an air compressor! Had you changed out the factory fill yet?

Changed at 1500 miles with amsoil and a wix xp filter.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
My 17 1500 is back in shop for loud valves and lifters. Came out of service under warranty work after 5 weeks. Now two weeks later noise is bad again and going back in. Probably looking to dump it after this extended repair. Only positive note. Chrysler Care will make 2 payments for almost what will amount to 8-10 weeks without truck. 50.000 miles on it.

Hello JJC2740,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your experiences and understand your frustration associated. If you are interested in receiving additional assistance throughout this process, please reach back out to us.
Laura
RamCares

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I’m telling you it’s from not running 91/93!

OP
OP
J

Justin6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 15 has a startup noise from time to time that sounds like what WhiteStar has posted. I've done multiple UOAs to see if there's excessive wear but there is not. Other than being annoying, it doesn't appear to have an effect.
Yesterday morning here on Edmonton it was -30 (-38 with windchill) and I cold started and had like 1 second of noise like that and then quiet I couldn't imagine it sounding like the white one or that 6.4l all the time. I'd be worried

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yesterday morning here on Edmonton it was -30 (-38 with windchill) and I cold started and had like 1 second of noise like that and then quiet I couldn't imagine it sounding like the white one or that 6.4l all the time. I'd be worried

Is it ambient temp related? I'm in Florida and the noise has occurred anywhere from 95F to 40F. Someone mentioned it was the fuel grade which I find hard to believe. I've always used 89/mid grade as suggested by the owners manual.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Is it ambient temp related? I'm in Florida and the noise has occurred anywhere from 95F to 40F. Someone mentioned it was the fuel grade which I find hard to believe. I've always used 89/mid grade as suggested by the owners manual.
Not the fuel grade.....detonation from low octane only occurs with engine under a load.....has nothing to do with noise at idle/startup.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Not the fuel grade.....detonation from low octane only occurs with engine under a load.....has nothing to do with noise at idle/startup.

I’ll say this- those with start up problems run 91/93 for 4 tanks of gas and I’ll bet it goes away. It will probably cost 20.00 to test so why the hell not, that’s a lot cheaper than a lifter failure!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ll say this- those with start up problems run 91/93 for 4 tanks of gas and I’ll bet it goes away. It will probably cost 20.00 to test so why the hell not, that’s a lot cheaper than a lifter failure!

I run 93 in my truck and can, at will, make the engine make a God awful knocking noise at startup.

1. Start truck and barely move it (think moving from one side of driveway to another)
2. Shut truck down after step 1, it doesnt seem to matter if you rev it a little before doing so or not.
3. Attempt to restart truck after 30 minutes or so. You will get the God awful noise.

I use 93 in my truck simply because Costco only sells 87 or 93 and their 93 price is so low already I dont mind "splurging". This noise has always been there, even with 93 pumped through my engine most of its life (15K miles on it right now)

This is not a fuel octane level thing...it is an oil flow thing, lifters arent getting filled or air is in the system or something.

Note that if you actually drive the truck for 5 or 10 minutes then park it, the God awful noise does NOT occur on next startup.

Ive actually been able to minimize the noise using the SRT oil filter. Since I can make it happen at will, I will try after every oil change to see if it still does it. RedLine oil with Royal Purple filter still made the noise. Same RedLine oil with SRT filter did NOT.