Did they fix the lifters on newer 4th Gens?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. I’ve ready that a few times. Every one I see cut open looks like a Mobil 1 filter. May be a synthetic blend but it doesn’t appear to be a fully wire backed synthetic media.

Dunno, but I drive so little per year I could probably get away with an orange can of death if I had to.

SRT filter seems to have quieted the God awful knocking that I would get, so SRT filter it is. I just wish it was black like the standard stock filter.

Bill Knight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The same year they made the first Hemi...........
Funny my 2004 Hemi makes no real lifter noise with 200,000 miles. I have a few bromen exhaust studs that make a ticking noise until the engine warms up. I also run an additive in my engine oil too which may help this issue.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only fix is a complete MDS delete on the POS Gen 4s

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Funny my 2004 Hemi makes no real lifter noise with 200,000 miles. I have a few bromen exhaust studs that make a ticking noise until the engine warms up. I also run an additive in my engine oil too which may help this issue.

I think MDS was a bad move on Chrysler’s part, but truly, was it really their fault? I mean, the EPA seems to be on everyone’s ass.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max using Tapatalk

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm fairly certain that the MDS has nothing to do with the lifters failing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of the MDS either and I drive with it turned off. Thing is, MDS was implemented in 2006 but lifters didn't start cratering until 2009+. 2009 happens to be the year they implemented VVT on the Hemi.
Heck, there was a guy on here within the past year that had the lifters eat the cam. He ended up having the engine rebuilt with an aftermarket cam and non-mds lifters with MDS off via tune. He ended up having another lifter go and eat his new cam a year later even though he had physically deleted the MDS from the engine.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At least the gen 3s dont have daily post about MDS lifter failures. MDS blows and is utterly useless.

But again, its not just MDS lifters failing, so it has basically been proven it has nothing to do with MDS.

3rd gens had a different engine design, no?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
My 15 has a startup noise from time to time that sounds like what WhiteStar has posted. I've done multiple UOAs to see if there's excessive wear but there is not. Other than being annoying, it doesn't appear to have an effect.
Hi fijicorey, We certainly understand why this may be annoying. We kindly recommend having your dealer inspect this concern for you if it continues. If you do work with your dealer, we would be more than happy to provide you with additional support.
Rob
RamCares

bran101010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 R/T
Everything I have read so far about the issue seems to be with the change to VVT and the oil passage not being big enough. There's a recent story of someone who had the lifters go bad. He replaced them with non MDS and less than 75,000 miles later it went out again.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Everything I have read so far about the issue seems to be with the change to VVT and the oil passage not being big enough. There's a recent story of someone who had the lifters go bad. He replaced them with non MDS and less than 75,000 miles later it went out again.
A larger passage requires more oil volume/pressure.......and they did change out to a better oil pump on the VVT......so it's either the design/placement of the oiling holes or pump still wasn't strong enough.
The truck pump is different than the car pump(more volume/pressure) so it would interesting to see the difference of failure on the 6.4 truck vrs car.
The only proof I have on difference of pumps is Jay Greene's word.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I know after reading the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT forums on facebook that those motors lose lifters there is always a post about them.

I just wonder if it has to do with the spring pressures and hiw aggressive the cam profile is.

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I really think it's the tapping that can occur at startup that damages the lifters. Avoid the tapping avoid the failure.

JimEd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Are there any statistics on how many of these engines have this failure? Is it one in a thousand or one in in thousand???

Dieselhorses

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 cid
I’m puzzled because I went in for my first oil change at dealer. I did ask for synthetic (they used Penzoil 5/20). Up until the oil change, all my startups very quiet and engine purred. Now I have a few seconds of ticking on cold start then goes away. I really miss engines with carbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m puzzled because I went in for my first oil change at dealer. I did ask for synthetic (they used Penzoil 5/20). Up until the oil change, all my startups very quiet and engine purred. Now I have a few seconds of ticking on cold start then goes away. I really miss engines with carbs.

Don't you mean regular hydraulic cams/solid lifter cams? or better yet if they would just use better cam cores made out of better materials and of course better lifters.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

This is what i was getting, more so if i let it sit a couple days or started it and only drove it short distance, stopped and started again.
I switched to quakerstate ultimate durability 0w20 and 10oz or lubegard, this has seemed to stop it. Took 100 miles or so but i havnt heard it again in 1k miles.

Dieselhorses

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 cid
Well, I found out that by turning the key almost all the way for 3-5 seconds, but NOT yet starting must do something with oil. I did that this morning (was about 30F) and no ticking. Must be an oil pump assist of some sort. If it happens again my dealer WILL know.