DIESEL OIL GO TO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I read up on CGI. It's just a halfway cast iron in between grey and nodular (ductile). I suppose it's halfway priced also.
It's billed as stronger and lighter, but I am sure there are dollar signs to be found in that equation. Ford is using it on the powerjoke, and Gimmick Motors on the duradud, but GM just announced a buyback of L5P duraduds for blocks that were apparently improperly heat treated, which can lead to head gasket failure, and hydrolocking. They are buying the trucks back in lieu of doing engine swaps.

The Ram version of the 6.7 is unique, as it is the only version with the timing case at the front. I was told by a Cummins rep at a trade show that the Ram version is the only one currently using the CGI block, as well.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm sure it is stronger and lighter. It's also less brittle.

It's also very process sensitive to make - because it involves interrupted heat treatment before all the graphite flakes are turned into carbon nodules. Quality control is critical to make the stuff correctly. Not nearly as difficult as making grey or nodular.

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
I have switched everything I change to AMSOil. U can sign up to be a preferred customer and save. Then our 5w40 Euro oil runs about $30/gallon bought by the case of 4 gallon jugs. This year I changed enough oil to earn a free subscription saving the subscription price (I think it is only $500 purchased during a year).

Don't have any proof on their oil quality other than their documentation but have switched the Harley over to their fluids. The Tranny does not grind/clunk going into gear any more but shifts smooth as silk. Had used Lucas additive before but after a couple thousand miles the Tranny would develop the grind/clunk again.

I would really like to find an oil filter made of the synthetic media for the ED since I don't put 10k mile/year and these filters are $$$.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...I would really like to find an oil filter made of the synthetic media for the ED since I don't put 10k mile/year and these filters are $$$.

Just curious, are you towing or hard use? How many changes a yr is that? I've always gone ~10k miles on my Jetta TDI between changes with T6 synth (since forever). Many Jetta owners do ..and properly maintained can get well over 300k miles. Mines at ~270k mi now and running strong. Semi's go 25k between changes. Yeah, different engine, more oil. Guess a guy can't change too much though..

Last edited:

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
$50 for a (Chinese) paper filter is ridiculous! I was implying that I wanted to go over the 1 year change interval since I may not achieve 10k, just don't know yet. Also, I use premium oil as well. I just want a better filter!

I change a Cummins Truck oil that gets well over 10k in a few months and this oil is still pretty clear when I service it. I know clarity is not a deciding factor but I don't sample. I was taught that if in doubt -- change it as cheap insurance. I switched to Fram's Ultra Synthetic filters for these Trucks. They claim they stand up to 20k oil changes. If I had the Synthetic filter on my Ed, I would consider sampling and waiting to 20k change interval. $50 filter + $60 - $70 for oil...

I don't like to run paper filters for the extended periods. Paper saturated with liquid is not a stable meduim and over time gets softer/weaker... Do not want to add to the ED's questionable Engine reputation.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Fleetguard used to offer stratapore fiberglass wound media. I used those 30 years ago.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have switched everything I change to AMSOil. U can sign up to be a preferred customer and save. Then our 5w40 Euro oil runs about $30/gallon bought by the case of 4 gallon jugs. This year I changed enough oil to earn a free subscription saving the subscription price (I think it is only $500 purchased during a year).

Don't have any proof on their oil quality other than their documentation but have switched the Harley over to their fluids. The Tranny does not grind/clunk going into gear any more but shifts smooth as silk. Had used Lucas additive before but after a couple thousand miles the Tranny would develop the grind/clunk again.

I would really like to find an oil filter made of the synthetic media for the ED since I don't put 10k mile/year and these filters are $$$.
I run FRAM Ultra Filters on MY Honda. I was running WIX filters, but the Fram Synthetic has better write ups and performs well for my Honda GL 1800 (remember, all my oil runs everything), not separate cases like on the HD.

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
Our 21 uses the filter with attached plastic housing so we are not able to use same filters.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
15/40 is what I use. Right now using amsoil synthetic I ordered 18gallons the other day. There are multiple oil that are good synthetic or conventional as long as to stick to one type after break in. Motor is shipped with synthetic blend.
download (1).jpg

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Good question. I have enough T6 for one more oil change on my Cummins but not enough for my other diesels, all land management equipment. I've decided to reserve the T6 for the land management equipment I use in the winter and for the Cummins, I'm going with Kirkland (Costco) 15w-40, it has a CJ/CK-4 rating and is fully synthetic, it is also hard to beat the price, I think right around $11 per gallon.

Oil is a highly debated choice, there are many excellent offerings and this is the solution I've chosen for my needs. The Kirkland oil has specifications that meet or exceed all of my diesel engine requirements.
I used this same Kirkland oil for my last oil change and will keep using it. There is no reason to spend the extra $$ for full synthetic.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol your a ********. I paid less for the amsoil than other brands. $30 gal vs everything else $35+