Diesel or Hemi, towing sleds (I'm new)!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fromwithin

Reaction score
Ram Year
In the market
Engine
In the market
Hey,
I am new to this site and have never owned a truck. I have snowmobiled my whole life and am currently hauling 2 sleds (both 2012 MXZ 600 and 800 ETECS) in a Triton enclosed trailer (TC-118). Total weight of this rig is about 1900lbs including sleds. My current vehicle is a 2006 Pontiac Torrent and it HATES pulling this! Revs on highway around 3500 RPM and just eats the gas!

I tend to keep my vehicles for 8-10 yrs, and only tow in the winter Dec-March. I pretty much tow the sleds every weekend usually round trip is 500km + each weekend.
The new truck will be an everyday driver and my commute to work is about 100km round trip. There will be a good chance there will be a 3rd sled in the bed at some point.
I am very much leaning towards the Ecodiesel, as I am thinking it will tow better than the gas, and I plan on keeping the truck between 8-10yrs. Not worried about the extra premium I have to pay upfront.
Any reasons looking at my situation you would think I should opt for the HEMI? Or does this validate the need for the diesel.

Thanks guys

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I cant speak for the long term since this is my first RAM Hemi but I tow 7000lbs 5x a year with 3.92 gears. Round trip 600 miles per tow. The Hemi should be more than enough for 1900 lbs

OP
OP
F

Fromwithin

Reaction score
Ram Year
In the market
Engine
In the market
I never doubt that the Hemi had ample power to haul my set up. Just thinking for fuel mileage. The diesel has lots of torque low end and therefore will hold lower revs while towing = better MPG. From my research, diesel engines last longer than gassers.
In the upcoming years, I plan on doing some long out of province trips with the sleds and friends. We may end up towing a 4 place trailer. I am thinking the diesel should fair better in the long run when towing lots?

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Hemi will easily pull 1,900lbs. You won't even hardly tell its back there. The EcoDiesel will get better mpg than the Hemi while towing and unloaded though. Seeing as you will be keeping the truck for a while the EcoDiesel sounds like it makes the most sense and the premium you pay for the Diesel over the Hemi will be worth it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You will have no problem getting 8 to 10 years and no problem towing such light weight. I would prefer the Cummins to all trucks, but it is all about what you want to spend. Even a 1500 can handle what you ask all day long, so no really issue of what can handle it. Plus, the 1500 has a tow haul button that really keeps you in good tow rpm's. If you ever really want to tow real weight, Cummins with a manual transmission is the way to go, but with such light weight you have no issues. I would bet the dealer will even let you test drive your trailer. Tell him you want to hook up and see how it tows just for a few miles. Remember to use the tow/haul button.

One more thing, diesel now costs a lot more the 89 gas as well.

Last edited:

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure I would want to jump on the ecodiesel until it gets thru its first model run. Never know what the bugs will be.

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 CC Sport Copperhead Pearl & 2011 1500 CC Sport Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/ 8 speed ~ 5.7 Hemi w/ 6 speed
I sled too, and have since 2000. Before my RAM I had a 1998 F150 I sold it with 180,000+ miles on it and made 300 to 400 mile trips 4-5 times a year with it every year pulling the same setup you have. If that truck handled it with no problem. These RAM better! I haven't gotten on a trip yet this season, but have pulled it around town and on the highway in my area. Never knew the trailer was behind me!
PS my F150 made more the one trip north with the old side by side 4 places too! I knew it was behind me on the hills and in the wind but still pulled great. Can't wait to see what this RAM does.

OP
OP
F

Fromwithin

Reaction score
Ram Year
In the market
Engine
In the market
You will have no problem getting 8 to 10 years and no problem towing such light weight. I would prefer the Cummins to all trucks, but it is all about what you want to spend. Even a 1500 can handle what you ask all day long, so no really issue of what can handle it. Plus, the 1500 has a tow haul button that really keeps you in good tow rpm's. If you ever really want to tow real weight, Cummins with a manual transmission is the way to go, but with such light weight you have no issues. I would bet the dealer will even let you test drive your trailer. Tell him you want to hook up and see how it tows just for a few miles. Remember to use the tow/haul button.

One more thing, diesel now costs a lot more the 89 gas as well.

That's actually not a bad idea hooking up at the dealer. Also I plan on buying used, in the next 2 years. Hopefully 2015 just so not to deal with any first year problems.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With a long daily commute, you may also want to consider the Pentastar. It will easily tow 1900 lbs, get excellent MPG, cost less, easier/cheaper to maintain. Any of the 3 powertrains would be more than adequate. The ecodiesel is the slowest of the bunch, but it gets rave reviews. I'd recommend the lowest gears with whatever you decide.

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Everyone is going to have a different opinion. For what you are looking to tow, I would be willing to think the Hemi w/ 3.92's / Tow Package would be perfect. The ecodiesel will get you better mpg towing, but the upfront cost difference + additional fuel cost per gallon + Higher PM costs over the long run.

Hemi w/ 3.92 Tow Package / Catch Can / Minor Bolt Ons = WIN

OP
OP
F

Fromwithin

Reaction score
Ram Year
In the market
Engine
In the market
With a long daily commute, you may also want to consider the Pentastar. It will easily tow 1900 lbs, get excellent MPG, cost less, easier/cheaper to maintain. Any of the 3 powertrains would be more than adequate. The ecodiesel is the slowest of the bunch, but it gets rave reviews. I'd recommend the lowest gears with whatever you decide.

Hi kkreit01,
I did think of that, but unfortunately the V6 is not offered in the Big Horn CC. Which is likely the trim I would be purchasing.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Between the two engines I broke it down to one simple thing....duration....if your gonna kelp it for a long time (10+ years) get the diesel. Both engines can haul that with no problems man....so enjoy either one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

ramsport27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everyone is going to have a different opinion. For what you are looking to tow, I would be willing to think the Hemi w/ 3.92's / Tow Package would be perfect. The ecodiesel will get you better mpg towing, but the upfront cost difference + additional fuel cost per gallon + Higher PM costs over the long run.

Hemi w/ 3.92 Tow Package / Catch Can / Minor Bolt Ons = WIN

3.92's are not necessary. 3.21's have plenty of go and for a 1900lb trailer it's more than enough. And better fuel economy because I'm sure he isn't towing the trailer that often.

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Can't go wrong with either. The diesel will run you more money for maintenance, fuel (for now), mods, etc. but it'll tow another 10 sleds if you want and it'll last a VERY long time, as long as it's maintained. Seems a bit overkill even you were pulling say 5,000lbs. The hemi will do just fine, 3.92's will certainly help in hilly areas.

OP
OP
F

Fromwithin

Reaction score
Ram Year
In the market
Engine
In the market
Good points from everyone, and gas mileage is definitely a concern, I don't want a gas guzzler and was just looking for opinions from truck owners that my thoughts were on the right path. Again I am only towing through the months of Dec-March, with maybe a few tows in the summer with the small boat (2006 Seadoo Sportster)..
I doubt I will be hauling any huge trailers or Cargo. I have thought about getting a sled deck to fit on the bed for 2 sleds and my trailer, but that might overload the payload?

Anyone have any idea what the payload would be on a Big Horn CC EcoDiesel, do you think it wold be fine hauling 2 sleds in the trailer and 2 sleds on the sled deck?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Don't know anything about the eco diesel, but I agree with getting 3.92's if you can. I have the 3.55 and still do not like them, my friends hemi has the 3.92's and it has way more early power. Anyhow, the rule is if you want to get the weight moving better with the least stress to your truck, go for a more aggressive gear. With a 3.21 or 3.55 you will put more wear on your transmission, the 3.92 will use your engine's RPM's to move the weight more efficiently. Most people say the 3.92 get better gas mileage in the city as well, but yes on the highway the 3.21 or 3.55 will get better mileage. Still not worth it in my opinion. Research gear ratio and tow rating, you can always tow heavier and better with an aggressive gear, IMO 3.92's is the "minimum" you should be considering. Please research this more before buying a gas mileage gear. Probably not a huge deal with such little weight, but still you will like the 3.92's much better when towing anything.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So youre a sled guy. Heres what I know:

1) a hemi with tow/haul and 3.92's will be fun. Hauling or not. Get decent mileage as well when unloaded.

2) pentastar v6 will get better mileage unloaded. big deal as your a sled guy nand im sure you like hammering throttle. So the pentastar is out as its no fun. Wasn't fun in a charger rental I had, sure as hell wont be in a 5300 lb+ truck.

3) eco diesel...more $, more maintanence. And a HEMI will walk it all day long.

We all know the answer here, and its the HEMI. Low cost, low maintenance, little worse on fuel but the power will make it fun. That's what its all about.

OP
OP
F

Fromwithin

Reaction score
Ram Year
In the market
Engine
In the market
So youre a sled guy. Heres what I know:

1) a hemi with tow/haul and 3.92's will be fun. Hauling or not. Get decent mileage as well when unloaded.

2) pentastar v6 will get better mileage unloaded. big deal as your a sled guy nand im sure you like hammering throttle. So the pentastar is out as its no fun. Wasn't fun in a charger rental I had, sure as hell wont be in a 5300 lb+ truck.

3) eco diesel...more $, more maintanence. And a HEMI will walk it all day long.

We all know the answer here, and its the HEMI. Low cost, low maintenance, little worse on fuel but the power will make it fun. That's what its all about.

I agree the Hemi would certainly be more fun. However, I'm driving a 2006 Pontiac Torrent V6 right now. I'm sure the Diesel would be fun in comparison.
Also, like I said before I plan on keeping my vehicles between 8-10 yrs, so I am thinking the diesel will prove better in the long run (both mechanically and resale, I know there's speculation in that statement).
I do like to drive the sleds fast, however when I am driving my sled I don't have to look in my mirrors for cops all day long like you do on city roads. These days I can't afford speeding tickets on the roads, kills the insurance and gives me headaches I don't need

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with K&N CAI and Diablosport Trinity Tuner
We all know the answer here, and its the HEMI.
You have me convinced! :p
I second the 3.92 gears gear suggestion. I have the 3.55's and I regularly tow a truckload of firewood. All I can fit in the bed. (About 1200 pounds maybe?)Green oak is heavy. But im not happy with how it doeson the highway especially on steep grades.

I believe lower gears will help your tranny last longer also. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

(Also maybe unrelated, idk, at 20k miles my transmission is out and at the dealer for warranty work possibly a side effect of towing all the time, and maybe a lead foot.)