Different Ecodiesel Fuel Filter Interval by State?

If you are in one of these states do you follow the more frequent fuel filter change schedule?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Ok, I have an ecodiesel on order and was reviewing the maintenance schedule for it, as diesel is new to me. I came across the maintenance schedule for changing the diesel fuel filter and it says this in the footnote on page 402 of the 2021 Owners Manual for the Ram 1500:

"Under normal conditions the diesel fuel filter should be replaced every 20,000 miles (32,000 km) (every other oil change). If the vehicle is being used in severe operating conditions, or in certain geographical areas of the country (Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio, Maryland, West Virginia, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri and Nebraska) due to fuel cleanliness issues, it’s recommended to replace the fuel filter every 10,000 miles (16,000 km)"

WAIT, WHAT?!!!

The interval varies by state? What the heck?

What is wrong with the fuel in those states? Why those states? Any ideas?

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
You got me I have no idea.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What is wrong with the fuel in those states? Why those states? Any ideas?
A while back there was two EcoDiesels that were both within about 50 miles of each other on the eastern side of Pennsylvania that had fuel injector problems related to asphaltenes. Both owners reported that the dealer informed them they would need to run a Mopar fuel additive to combat the asphaltenes and that it was an issue specific to the area. This was several years back and some of the few reports of fuel related injector issues.

Asphaltenes is formed in diesel fuel when it is heated and put under pressure, something that happens within modern common rail injection systems.

OP
OP
Doug Ram

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Yeah, but WHY is the fuel in these states crap? Isn't diesel produced at major refineries all over the country to the same standards?