Direct Clutch Snap ring - Broken - 46RE - Replace without removing Trans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sitn-N-MuhTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1999 Dodge Ram 4X4
5.9 / 46RE - I believe anyway

Transmission lost reverse and has no engine braking in manual low
All other gears work fine.

I pulled the pan and found laying in the pan 4 pieces of what I believe to be the direct clutch snap ring (From what I've read online anyways). The pieces don't make a complete circle though so I would imagine there is at least 1 more piece floating around somewhere, maybe even 2 if they are the same size as the others.
Please bear with me guys as this is my first Dodge, I am a Chevy guy, I build Chevy Transmissions all the time, and have alot of experience with those.

I bought the truck like this for cheap from a friend of mine because he didn't have the means or money to fix it.
I was with him when he bought it from the previous owner about 2 years ago, and according to him (The PO), he had the transmission rebuilt only 1 month before my friend bought it from him. He had paperwork to back this up, and I figured with 260k on a 2nd gen Dodge tranny, it would have to have been rebuilt at some point to still be moving. Well now the truck has 281k and this just happened.

So my question is this: Can the Overdrive section of the transmission be removed and the snap ring replaced without un-installing the entire transmission? I have been led to believe that a shop press will be needed to compress the spring to install the snap ring? I am prepared to take it somewhere to have that done (Just the overdrive section that is)

With supposedly 20k miles on it and a broken snap ring, would it be better to pull it and rebuild the whole thing, or leave it in the truck, pull the OD section out and replace JUST the snap ring? (If it can be done that is) Keep in mind this is a 4X4 guys.

Something that should also be noted is the fluid is dark red not black or brown, and it doesn't smell burnt at all, but the magnet is covered in metal shavings and paste, I would assume from the snap ring. Also when shifted into reverse, I can feel it engage, however when throttle is applied it just revs up and goes nowhere. 1 more thing - The truck has been driven for about 200 miles since the transmission did this, I drove it home when I bought it from him. Is there a chance any more damage was done due to that?

Sorry for the long post and all of the questions guys, I may know alot about Chevy Transmissions but I don't know diddly about Dodge ones.

Thanks for any and all who reply to my post

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Yes the overdrive section can be removed without removing the entire transmission.
I don't know that loss of reverse can be attributed to that snap ring though im a little rusty on these transmissions since i bought my PATC lol.

Download the factory service manual here from site, either tech section or diy section. I can never remember. It goes through and completely breaks down the transmission. I work on USAF jet engines and our books aren't as good as the service manual for these trucks