DIY: 2013-2014 OEM Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You may have pinched a wire on the harness putting in the switches.

M² Mods.

It doesn’t look like anything is pinched, no obvious signs. I have to take to the dealer on Friday to get it fixed. The mechanic popped the airbag off on Saturday to look at the connections and said nothing looked wrong. Guess I’ll find out on Friday.

MrRickbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for this breakdown! It helped me greatly! I replaced the trim bezel to the satin silver from the factory black. I didn’t have to pull the wheel off, and I did one step that wasn’t needed but didn’t know until it was all apart.

Thanks again, it was very helpful!

A9E6673C-31B0-432D-BC30-4D0A438965DD.jpeg

0D3240E6-55DB-4D1F-B0E7-03C7AA277649.jpeg

253988B8-A9B4-4794-B46B-5ADD167A8F05.jpeg

Gripp74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 2018 ram 1500 and just add the steering wheel audio controls. And it wasn’t a bad experience I order This airbag release tool from amazon that made it super easy to remove and I purchased the steering wheel removal tool total waste of time I was able to tap it off by hitting it from the back of the wheel top to bottom and left to right and didn’t move the clock spring

image.jpg

JimGregory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I will say getting that steering wheel off can be a huge *****!
But it's done and it works. Very worthwhile.

Sparky853

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 SXT CC 4x4 6'4" Air Suspension
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just finished the install of these controls on my 2017 Ram. Couldn't be happier. [emoji16] Airbag removal tool was worth every penny. Had the airbag off in under a minute. Which is good, cause I did it twice because I somehow got the switches installed upside down. [emoji35]

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Mudd Flapp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Greeting all. Awesome write up on this audio control swap. I have a quick question, I have searched and can't seem to find the answer. I have a 14 Tradesman 5.7, 6 Speed. I found a a steering wheel on ebay, leather, with audio controls, from a 8 speed (has Gear+/Gear- buttons above the cruise buttons) from a 2013.
My options are:
1. Install the wheel as is (and keep the non-functioning gear buttons)
2. Swap my non-gear button cruise switch and install the leather wheel (preferred if it is plug and play)
3. Swap just the back bezel and re-sell the leather wheel without audio controls

I guess my ultimate question is, are the plugs the same for the cruise switch for the 6 spd and the 8 spd? Are the harnesses the same?

Thanks for the help,
Mudd Flapp
Mississippi

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Greeting all. Awesome write up on this audio control swap. I have a quick question, I have searched and can't seem to find the answer. I have a 14 Tradesman 5.7, 6 Speed. I found a a steering wheel on ebay, leather, with audio controls, from a 8 speed (has Gear+/Gear- buttons above the cruise buttons) from a 2013.
My options are:
2. Swap my non-gear button cruise switch and install the leather wheel (preferred if it is plug and play)
3. Swap just the back bezel and re-sell the leather wheel without audio controls

I guess my ultimate question is, are the plugs the same for the cruise switch for the 6 spd and the 8 spd? Are the harnesses the same?

Thanks for the help,
Mudd Flapp
Mississippi
Your good , just remove the bezels and swap in your module plug n play [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The heat won't work , but you can make it work.
There's a thread on the heated wheel and seats as well [emoji106]

Mudd Flapp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The heat won't work , but you can make it work.
There's a thread on the heated wheel and seats as well [emoji106]

Thanks. I am in South Mississippi. I won't miss the heated steering wheel :) But, I may try the mod, just because.

2018RamQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just switched to a leather steering wheel with the audio controls. Bought the Lisle tool from Amazon and it made removing the airbag amazingly easy. Was able to remove the steering wheel without using a gear puller or special tool.

Easy job that anyone should be able to do

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just switched to a leather steering wheel with the audio controls. Bought the Lisle tool from Amazon and it made removing the airbag amazingly easy. Was able to remove the steering wheel without using a gear puller or special tool.

Easy job that anyone should be able to do
I agree as I've done basically the same thing [emoji106][emoji106]

Mudd Flapp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My options are:

Thanks for the help,
Mudd Flapp
Mississippi

So FedEx delivered my leather steering wheel about an hour before I left for vacation. Considered bringing it with me and changing it in the hotel parking lot, but the wife cancelled that plan.

Thanks for all the advice

Mudd Flapp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got back from vacation, installed in less than an hour (including swapping the front bezel and switches over. The air bag removal tool made removing the air bag a non-issue, easy as pie. Everything works as it should. Thanks for the help!

Mudd Flapp
Saucier, MS

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok i am adding a heated leather steering wheel with audio controls. So will i have to order:
(A) audio control harness?
(B) heated steering wheel harness?

Or will those harnesses already be in my steering column?
My truck is a 2010 SLT 1500

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok i am adding a heated leather steering wheel with audio controls. So will i have to order:
(A) audio control harness?
(B) heated steering wheel harness?

Or will those harnesses already be in my steering column?
My truck is a 2010 SLT 1500
The audio controls harness is there already and is plug & play [emoji817]%

Can't speak accurately on the heated wheel ??...I think it's harness is there but there's more to do to get it working

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The audio controls harness is there already and is plug & play [emoji817]%

Can't speak accurately on the heated wheel ??...I think it's harness is there but there's more to do to get it working

Great thanls! thats half the battle. Lol. I have read some trucks have the heated wheel harness in the column, and some dont. Woukd be a pain to fish the harness threw the column and connect it behind the dash.
Im aware tge dealer has to turn on the sales code, buy im gonna buy the OBD genie thingymabob. Haha

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great thanls! thats half the battle. Lol. I have read some trucks have the heated wheel harness in the column, and some dont. Woukd be a pain to fish the harness threw the column and connect it behind the dash.
Im aware tge dealer has to turn on the sales code, buy im gonna buy the OBD genie thingymabob. Haha
For information on the install & outs on the heated wheel I suggest reaching out via PM to M2MODS's DEEREGUY . I'm pretty sure he makes a harness or at least knows how to get the heated wheel to work .

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For information on the install & outs on the heated wheel I suggest reaching out via PM to M2MODS's DEEREGUY . I'm pretty sure he makes a harness or at least knows how to get the heated wheel to work .

Will do thanks!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score